cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

will i bottleneck?

jsarver
Level 11
coming from a 6850k build and RVE edition 10 which bottle necked either usb ports or pcie slots when highly populated im curious if my new build will run into similar issues. ill be using rampage extreme with 9800x. i want to run 3 nvme, 4 sata drives, 2 1080tis in sli and a sound card in the 4x1 slot. also all usb ports will be populated. like i said, on my last build this caused sound card issues and also bandwidth was shared with the usb headers which caused frequent disconnects. does the 4 extra pcie lanes and the possible change in mb layout fix these issues? thanks
1 REPLY 1

Korth
Level 14
i7-9800X
- PCIe3.0 (up to 44 lanes, up to 985MB/s each)
- 1 DIMM per channel DDR4-2666 (up to 4x16GB DIMMs, up to 21.3GB/s each, up to 86.4GB/s max)
- 2 DIMM per channel DDR4-2400 (up to 8x16GB DIMMs, up to 19.2GB/s each, up to 86.4GB/s max)

X299 = DMI3.0x4 (3.93GB/s total PCH-to-CPU bandwidth)
- all onboard PCIe3 lanes, SATA ports, USB3.0 and USB2.0 ports, LAN, audio, and embedded functions (RST, IME, SC, SM Bus, ASMedia chipset addons, etc) use this bandwidth.

You'll have to look through the specs and reviews for that mobo to figure out how/where/what onboard services are implemented. I'm guessing that 3xNVMe linked into CPU is going to limit your SLI options (x16/x16 may or may not be possible). I'm guessing that 4xSATA and all (10? 14?) USB ports plus soundcard and network and motherboard hardware functions can easily exceed total DMI3x4 bandwidth if all the devices are simultaneously active. Read the manual and perhaps choose a workstation-grade mobo if you intend to have very heavy hardware load.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]