cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on BIOS versions

davemon50
Level 11
Out of curiosity, what do the numbers of the BIOS versions mean for a given MB? Is there a formula for how the numbers are put together?
Davemon50
7 REPLIES 7

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Right this is complicated but here goes.

Formula:

xxx...three random numbers
yyy where yyy=xxx+ a small random number where the result is still 3 numbers
aaaa where aaaa=1+three random numbers 1 added to make it look like something special happened.
bbbb where bbbb=2+three random numbers ....

etc.

Just an idea for how BIOS numbers are assigned. Example: BIOS 0405 or 2403

The first digit represents the number of engineers who thought about the BIOS or agreed an update BIOS for the motherboard was required.

The second digit represents the number of engineers it took to develop or test the BIOS for the motherboard.

The third digit represents the number of engineers who thought the BIOS for the motherboard would be flawless.

The fourth digit represents the number of engineers who argued to upload the BIOS for the motherboard to distribute to its customers.

davemon50
Level 11
LOL, love you guys. Kisses. 😄

I am getting a bit of a vibe from these responses, although you might actually be giving ideas here to the mfg, so be careful. 🙂
Davemon50

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hehe

I think the change from, say, three numbers xxx to 1xxx is for a new generation of CPU support for example...some hefty change for the BIOS support. The other numbers no idea...I guess various are floating around getting tested and then higher numbers are later versions...if there is any deeper code to it I have no idea.

davemon50
Level 11
If it were up to me, and I know it isn't, I would make it very simple. First 2 digits would be the year, and the remaining two digits would be the sequential production number. For example: new board this year, first BIOS is 1801. Any more released up to and including December 31 would be 1802, 1803, etc. First one next year is 1901, then 1902, etc...

:cool:
Davemon50

JustinThyme
Level 13
Who knows where they dream up this stuff. Same with X99 to x299, what happened to 199? Or maybe just X100? *Now X299 is intel and X399 is AMD but who knows what the next generation will bring.*

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

davemon50
Level 11
Just think if we could all be King for a day!

(not at the same time 😉 )
Davemon50