Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    7

    Maximus X Hero does not come out of sleep properly

    When trying to wake my system from sleep, the motherboard will get stuck on 55 or 01. After about 15 seconds, it will cycle through a bunch of numbers and some leds on the board may flash, but then it gets stuck on 55 or 01 again. The board gets hung so bad that pressing reset or the motherboard Start button will not reset the board. I actually have to turn the power supply master switch off, wait for the capacitors to drain until the motherboard LEDs shut off, then power back on again. Then it boots normally, but of course I've lost the session I previously sleeped.

    I've got the latest BIOS (1704), but have seen this same issue since at least a couple of BIOS versions ago.

    I've got another issue where if I use "hybrid sleep", the system hangs while trying to go to sleep, so I've disabled "hybrid sleep". But if I hibernate the system, it recovers the session just fine.

    Any ideas of some BIOS settings I should play with to solve this issue? I am overclocking my 8700K to 5GHz, but other than this waking from sleep problem, my system seems to run fine.

    Thanks for any hints or suggestions,
    -todd-

  2. #2
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array geneo PC Specs
    geneo PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus X Code
    ProcessorIntel 8086K @ 5.1Ghz
    Memory (part number)32 GB (2x16) G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200 MHz CL14 @ 3600 15-16-37
    Graphics Card #1Asus ROG Strix 2070 Super A8G
    MonitorEIZO Coloredge CG2730 and Dell
    Storage #1Samsung 512 GB 960 Pro
    Storage #21TB 850 x 1 TB 860 EVO RAID0, 6 TB WDC Black HDD
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15 Chromax
    CaseFractal Design R4 w/ tempered glass
    Power Supply750W Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
    Keyboard CM Quickfire Rapid TKL
    Mouse Logitech G305
    Headset Bose
    Headset/Speakers Vanatoo T1, ML Dynamo 300
    OS Windows 10 Pro X64
    geneo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Reputation
    27
    Posts
    371

    Do you have VRM spread spectrum enabled? I had those same symptoms until I disabled it in BIOS.

  3. #3
    ROG Junior Member Array
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    4

    If you have a Samsung NVMe drive, try uninstalling the Samsung driver as it causes problems with fast boot and waking up from sleep. Samsung or Microsoft have to fix this.

    https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/...id/2892/page/1

  4. #4
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array geneo PC Specs
    geneo PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus X Code
    ProcessorIntel 8086K @ 5.1Ghz
    Memory (part number)32 GB (2x16) G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200 MHz CL14 @ 3600 15-16-37
    Graphics Card #1Asus ROG Strix 2070 Super A8G
    MonitorEIZO Coloredge CG2730 and Dell
    Storage #1Samsung 512 GB 960 Pro
    Storage #21TB 850 x 1 TB 860 EVO RAID0, 6 TB WDC Black HDD
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15 Chromax
    CaseFractal Design R4 w/ tempered glass
    Power Supply750W Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
    Keyboard CM Quickfire Rapid TKL
    Mouse Logitech G305
    Headset Bose
    Headset/Speakers Vanatoo T1, ML Dynamo 300
    OS Windows 10 Pro X64
    geneo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Reputation
    27
    Posts
    371

    Quote Originally Posted by Merkor View Post
    If you have a Samsung NVMe drive, try uninstalling the Samsung driver as it causes problems with fast boot and waking up from sleep. Samsung or Microsoft have to fix this.

    https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/...id/2892/page/1
    That is but a momentary freeze. this sounds like a hard freeze.

    I don't know why, it makes no sense that VRM spread spectrum would be the culprit, but it was for me. Same symptoms - hard freeze that required disconnecting the PSU to recover.

  5. #5
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    7

    Quote Originally Posted by geneo View Post
    Do you have VRM spread spectrum enabled? I had those same symptoms until I disabled it in BIOS.
    Thanks for the tip, I did have it enabled, but unfortunately, disabling it didn't fix this issue. Still get a hung system with the Q-code indicating 01, with the Q-code cycling quickly every 5-10 seconds, then landing back on 01.

  6. #6
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    7

    Quote Originally Posted by Merkor View Post
    If you have a Samsung NVMe drive, try uninstalling the Samsung driver as it causes problems with fast boot and waking up from sleep. Samsung or Microsoft have to fix this.
    Thanks for the info. I do have a Samsung NVMe, however, I don't have the Samsung driver installed.

    I don't think this is the NVMe because the system never blinks the NVMe light at boot time. It seems to get hung when trying to boot the memory or cpu.

  7. #7
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    7

    Just to make sure, I went into the BIOS and loaded the "optimized default" settings (basically turns off all my overclock). Same problem, with one change. Instead of showing 01 with the yellow memory failure LED, it alternately cycles to 03 with a red cpu failure LED. About every 5 seconds or so, it shows 01 yellow, then another 5 seconds, then 03 red, then repeat. Very strange.

    So whatever issue I'm having probably has nothing to do with overclock.

    Other than this coming-out-of-sleep problem, my 8700K system runs flawlessly with an overclock to 5GHz and XMP 3200 Corsair RAM sticks from the QVL.

  8. #8
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    12

    Quote Originally Posted by dsmtoday View Post
    Just to make sure, I went into the BIOS and loaded the "optimized default" settings (basically turns off all my overclock). Same problem, with one change. Instead of showing 01 with the yellow memory failure LED, it alternately cycles to 03 with a red cpu failure LED. About every 5 seconds or so, it shows 01 yellow, then another 5 seconds, then 03 red, then repeat. Very strange.

    So whatever issue I'm having probably has nothing to do with overclock.

    Other than this coming-out-of-sleep problem, my 8700K system runs flawlessly with an overclock to 5GHz and XMP 3200 Corsair RAM sticks from the QVL.
    What is your Gpu?

  9. #9
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    7

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_Radics View Post
    What is your Gpu?
    I have an old AMD Radeon R9 280X, from XFX. This is a 4-year old card, but I'm using this machine to do engineering work mostly, not much gaming. Still works pretty well for most of the games I play.

    Unfortunately, I don't have any other graphics cards laying around, or I'd give one of them a try to see if that would solve this problem. Doesn't feel like a graphics card problem, though.

  10. #10
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    12

    Quote Originally Posted by dsmtoday View Post
    I have an old AMD Radeon R9 280X, from XFX. This is a 4-year old card, but I'm using this machine to do engineering work mostly, not much gaming. Still works pretty well for most of the games I play.

    Unfortunately, I don't have any other graphics cards laying around, or I'd give one of them a try to see if that would solve this problem. Doesn't feel like a graphics card problem, though.
    I was in the same shoes. I used gtx 660 and i also have a problem with the sleep mode.
    Try to remove the gpu, and check your issue has solved or not.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •