cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus X Hero does not come out of sleep properly

dsmtoday
Level 7
When trying to wake my system from sleep, the motherboard will get stuck on 55 or 01. After about 15 seconds, it will cycle through a bunch of numbers and some leds on the board may flash, but then it gets stuck on 55 or 01 again. The board gets hung so bad that pressing reset or the motherboard Start button will not reset the board. I actually have to turn the power supply master switch off, wait for the capacitors to drain until the motherboard LEDs shut off, then power back on again. Then it boots normally, but of course I've lost the session I previously sleeped.

I've got the latest BIOS (1704), but have seen this same issue since at least a couple of BIOS versions ago.

I've got another issue where if I use "hybrid sleep", the system hangs while trying to go to sleep, so I've disabled "hybrid sleep". But if I hibernate the system, it recovers the session just fine.

Any ideas of some BIOS settings I should play with to solve this issue? I am overclocking my 8700K to 5GHz, but other than this waking from sleep problem, my system seems to run fine.

Thanks for any hints or suggestions,
-todd-
9 REPLIES 9

PerpetualCycle
Level 13
Do you have VRM spread spectrum enabled? I had those same symptoms until I disabled it in BIOS.

ROG Hero XIII | 10900k @5.2 GHz | g.skill 2x32GB 4200 CL18 | ROG Strix 2070S | EK Nucleus 360 Dark | 6TB SSD/nvme, 16TB external HDD | 2x 1440p | Vanatoo speakers with Klipsch sub | Fractal Meshify 2 case

geneo wrote:
Do you have VRM spread spectrum enabled? I had those same symptoms until I disabled it in BIOS.

Thanks for the tip, I did have it enabled, but unfortunately, disabling it didn't fix this issue. Still get a hung system with the Q-code indicating 01, with the Q-code cycling quickly every 5-10 seconds, then landing back on 01.

Merkor
Level 7
If you have a Samsung NVMe drive, try uninstalling the Samsung driver as it causes problems with fast boot and waking up from sleep. Samsung or Microsoft have to fix this.

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/memoryandstorage/thread-id/2...

Merkor wrote:
If you have a Samsung NVMe drive, try uninstalling the Samsung driver as it causes problems with fast boot and waking up from sleep. Samsung or Microsoft have to fix this.

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/memoryandstorage/thread-id/2...

That is but a momentary freeze. this sounds like a hard freeze.

I don't know why, it makes no sense that VRM spread spectrum would be the culprit, but it was for me. Same symptoms - hard freeze that required disconnecting the PSU to recover.

ROG Hero XIII | 10900k @5.2 GHz | g.skill 2x32GB 4200 CL18 | ROG Strix 2070S | EK Nucleus 360 Dark | 6TB SSD/nvme, 16TB external HDD | 2x 1440p | Vanatoo speakers with Klipsch sub | Fractal Meshify 2 case

Merkor wrote:

Thanks for the info. I do have a Samsung NVMe, however, I don't have the Samsung driver installed.

I don't think this is the NVMe because the system never blinks the NVMe light at boot time. It seems to get hung when trying to boot the memory or cpu.

Just to make sure, I went into the BIOS and loaded the "optimized default" settings (basically turns off all my overclock). Same problem, with one change. Instead of showing 01 with the yellow memory failure LED, it alternately cycles to 03 with a red cpu failure LED. About every 5 seconds or so, it shows 01 yellow, then another 5 seconds, then 03 red, then repeat. Very strange.

So whatever issue I'm having probably has nothing to do with overclock.

Other than this coming-out-of-sleep problem, my 8700K system runs flawlessly with an overclock to 5GHz and XMP 3200 Corsair RAM sticks from the QVL.

dsmtoday wrote:
Just to make sure, I went into the BIOS and loaded the "optimized default" settings (basically turns off all my overclock). Same problem, with one change. Instead of showing 01 with the yellow memory failure LED, it alternately cycles to 03 with a red cpu failure LED. About every 5 seconds or so, it shows 01 yellow, then another 5 seconds, then 03 red, then repeat. Very strange.

So whatever issue I'm having probably has nothing to do with overclock.

Other than this coming-out-of-sleep problem, my 8700K system runs flawlessly with an overclock to 5GHz and XMP 3200 Corsair RAM sticks from the QVL.
What is your Gpu?

Peter_Radics wrote:
What is your Gpu?

I have an old AMD Radeon R9 280X, from XFX. This is a 4-year old card, but I'm using this machine to do engineering work mostly, not much gaming. Still works pretty well for most of the games I play.

Unfortunately, I don't have any other graphics cards laying around, or I'd give one of them a try to see if that would solve this problem. Doesn't feel like a graphics card problem, though.

dsmtoday wrote:
I have an old AMD Radeon R9 280X, from XFX. This is a 4-year old card, but I'm using this machine to do engineering work mostly, not much gaming. Still works pretty well for most of the games I play.

Unfortunately, I don't have any other graphics cards laying around, or I'd give one of them a try to see if that would solve this problem. Doesn't feel like a graphics card problem, though.
I was in the same shoes. I used gtx 660 and i also have a problem with the sleep mode.
Try to remove the gpu, and check your issue has solved or not. 😉