cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Maximus XI Hero Z390 sees 32GB instead of 64GB

cobrien
Level 7
I have tested all 4 sticks in the 2 memory slots furthest from the CPU and all 4 work. When I put all 4 in it won't post. No beeps. I can run 2 sticks at 3200 and Windows 10 seems stable. I haven't tried changing any profiles or settings other than boot device to get Windows installed. If someone could recommend some things to try I would appreciate it.

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Intel Z170 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16Q-64GVK
ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero Z390 Gaming Motherboard LGA1151 (Intel 8th and 9th Gen) ATX DDR4 DP HDMI M.2 USB 3.1 Gen2 Onboard 802.11 ac Wi-Fi
Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake 8-Core, 16-Thread, 3.6 GHz (5.0 GHz Turbo) LGA 1151 (300 Series) 95W BX80684I99900K Desktop Processor Intel UHD Graphics 630
8 REPLIES 8

cobrien
Level 7
I called ASUS technical support and they said the RAM listed above isn't compatible but it's on the list. It's why i chose it. Newegg won't take the CPU or MB back unless ASUS says it's a defective item.

x-rated
Level 8
try to set higher IO and SA voltages, everything under 1,3V should be safe 🙂
cobrien wrote:
I called ASUS technical support and they said the RAM listed above isn't compatible but it's on the list.

wtf :confused: great QVL 😞

So far what I have done is use 1 dimm to test each slot on the MB.

Slot 1 and/or slot 2 when used it wont post. If I use slots 3 and 4 it posts and can run at speed.
2 and 4 no
1 and 3 no

XYchromosone
Level 10
If it's on the QVL then ASUS is responsible for it being compatible, and they should allow newegg for RMA of the RAM, one would think. If it's not the ram then it's the motherboard, so the question is can you get another 64GB of 8GB x 4 of ram to test the 4 DIMMs and see if it boots and works? If it boots with each stick one at a time, then one would think that the RAM is OK which leads one the think it's the motherboard. Maybe if the latter is the case your best bet would be to RMA the mobo.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
RipJaw series is fairly old IC. Can you confirm what you've tried?

You may want to try Maximus Tweak Mode 2, up DIMM voltage to 1.45v. You can also try XMP Profile II which will allow you to use the DIMM timings. Both of these options should result in looser subtimings.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

I did try just 1 stick in each slot and it won't post in slots 1 or 2. All 4 dimms of 16GB work in slots 3 and 4. Anytime something is plugged into 1 or 2 it wont post and I get a CC error on the MB. I played with some of the settings mentioned and I ended up with a 55 error.

The ram is on the compatibility list I triple checked. I am going to call ASUS tech support 1 more time.

Seems like I got the right person this time. They had me clear cmos and try xmp II settings as suggested above with a higher voltage but produced a CC error.

Return authorization granted. Bad slots a1 b1. Thanks for the replies.

rjbarker
Level 11
Thats what I was going to say....borked DIMM Slots....my first RIVE Board had a single non functioning DIMM Slot....RMA's the board...