cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux drivers and atk for linux

dabigin
Level 7
I really love windows and well its my main operating system. Since I am a IT student as well as a gamer I got this for both worlds. I would
like to have linux and be able to utilize the full power of the rog laptop i bought (which im very happy i did it rocks). I am enjoying it and
those who are having problems read the forums and your problems will be addressed or you will be helped. Most gamers know the in's and outs of the computers/laptops very well.

Later my ROG brothers!
peace
Dabigin on xbl and psn
Dabigin on stream
Republic of Gamers Laptop owner 2-11-2011
System:
Current System
GL703GE (Powered on 1/3/2019)
Old System
G74SX (Retired 12/20/2018)
14 REPLIES 14

BrodyBoy
Level 10
Assuming you're looking for a Linux ATK driver, as your thread title suggests, there aren't any. This is a common complaint with Asus laptops, which are designed as Windows platforms. Many owners are able to make do, though, as you don't lose that much functionality without the ATK package.

fostert
Level 12
dabigin wrote:
I really love windows and well its my main operating system. Since I am a IT student as well as a gamer I got this for both worlds. I would
like to have linux and be able to utilize the full power of the rog laptop i bought (which im very happy i did it rocks). I am enjoying it and
those who are having problems read the forums and your problems will be addressed or you will be helped. Most gamers know the in's and outs of the computers/laptops very well.

Later my ROG brothers!
peace

I've been using Debian 6.0.3 Squeeze (Stable) on my G74 since I got it last October. Its really great with Linux: in fact I get 200MHz more out of my CPU with Linux (for some reason Windows' implementation of ACPI constrains turbo on the G74's core i7 2630QM to a max of 2.7GHz, whereas the chip is supposed to do 2.9...this is a known issue with the G74 and a common fault pointed out in some reviews, eg. http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Asus-G74SX-3DE-Gaming-Notebook.56809.0.html). With Linux I get a full 2.92 GHz from Turbo on my i7 2630. Using the CPU to it fullest speed potential in my mind is a decent trade-off for no control of the keyboard backlight, volume and screen brightness, and touchpad disable/enable via hotkeys (ATK): seriously, thats all I'm missing by not using windows. I can control screen on/off, wifi enable/disable via the key combos in linux. Also in Linux you will not experience the common well documented problems of the G74 that we on his forum help people troubleshoot (e.g. annoying keyboard lockup when you disable touchpad in BIOS, crazy sensitivity of touchpad, throttling of CPU when at full load, buggy 3rd party drivers, etc). As well linux addresses all 32GB of RAM I've stuffed into My G74, whereas windows home premium that came with the G74 is purposefully gimped not to.

First thing you should do is get a 3.X kernel with your distro: don't use the (quite) old 2.6.32 stable kernels floating around. If you've ever compiled your own kernel, there are some ASUS specific device drivers in the kernel options that you can turn on in the compile that allow the asus hotkey combos to control the above things you're missing by not using ATK, though I've never tried them specifically: I'm quite happy with the stock 3.0.0.3 kernel image.

NVIDIA also supports linux with the latest drivers for the GTX560M: grab 'em from here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html In fact this is the only 3rd party driver I use...everything else runs 100% fine with the device drivers in the kernel controlling them.

I use grub to control my G74 in a dual-boot config: windows 7 is on its own little isolated partition, where I can use excel (my favorite tool for research), game a bit, and let my wife store and watch her movies and pics. I'm going to turf this partition and switch over to 100% linux and run windows in a VM when things at work quiet down a little.

Good luck, and I stand by to help you out!
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

dabigin
Level 7
I have tried out the latest build of the Ubuntu linux and I have to say the keyboard lights up and everything. They must be making some progress somewhere. I can also use the function keys on my laptop and they work! how about that?
Dabigin on xbl and psn
Dabigin on stream
Republic of Gamers Laptop owner 2-11-2011
System:
Current System
GL703GE (Powered on 1/3/2019)
Old System
G74SX (Retired 12/20/2018)

dabigin wrote:
I have tried out the latest build of the Ubuntu linux and I have to say the keyboard lights up and everything. They must be making some progress somewhere. I can also use the function keys on my laptop and they work! how about that?

Latest Ubuntu reports your searches to Amazon, would recommend a different distro now. OpenSUSE is awesome, and if you type the following string into the terminal (as root) the keyboard lights up.
echo 3 > /sys/class/leds/asus\:\:kbd_backlight/brightness;exit
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

andrewballa
Level 7
me too,I use grub to control my G74 in a dual-boot config: windows 7 is on its own little isolated partition,

If people would like to know how to get the ASUS keyboard to light-up on boot, I can write a little tutorial for that.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!

@Zygo: I would really love that tutorial! Wonderful idea!

My record low RAM usage in Linux is ~230 MB while running gdm and X-windows (using the minimialist TWM for my window manager), which is my normal day-to-day operating environment at work with my G74. If I kill X and gdm, then I can get it down to ~160MB with a text-only command prompt.

BTW, your command string to get the backlight working works really swell; thank you for that!
--
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203

Here we go! 🙂
Enter as root:
cd /etc/init.d
echo 'echo 3 > /sys/class/leds/asus\:\:kbd_backlight/brightness' >> boot.local

You should be good! 🙂 At least, it works on my OpenSUSE installation! 🙂

Got Debian downloaded, will be trying this week! 🙂

Zygomorphic wrote:
Here we go! 🙂
Enter as root:
cd /etc/init.d
echo 'echo 3 > /sys/class/leds/asus\:\:kbd_backlight/brightness' >> boot.local

You should be good! 🙂 At least, it works on my OpenSUSE installation! 🙂

Thank you very much @Zygo! I will try this later this week (probably on the weekend) when I am running my G74 at home. During the week I run it at work as my primary work machine, but its locked away in a metal box (with cables running into it for external keyboard, mouse and monitor) like all computers at the observatory (to protect our radio telescopes from radio interference, which is generated by all electronics).

Zygomorphic wrote:
Got Debian downloaded, will be trying this week! 🙂

You are in for a treat, sir, especially with the synaptic package manager! I have never used a linux distro that is more easy to maintain and upgrade!
--
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203