cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero double M.2 question

MAD_Chuck
Level 7
Hi everybody, so I finally moving from my Crosshair V Formula with FX8370 cpu to something more recent.
So I bought a ROG Maximus XI Hero, i7 9700K and some G.Skill 3200mhz RAM, but it's 2019 in 8 days so i bought my self 2 nvme m.2 drives (Samsung EVO 970 500Gb) and i heard some issues with sata (i have 2 2tb drives and 1 sata ssd drive 1tb) so i want to plug them all in. As i understood if i will set both of them to pci-e mode they will not interfere with sata, but they will take 8 (chipset lanes) of 24 (total cpu and chipset lanes) pci-e lanes, and the rest 16 (that is cpu lanes) will be for my graphics card.

Can somebody tell me did i understood everything correctly, and if not explain it to me, i don't want to lose speed of my 1080Ti or speed of my m.2 drives.

And yes i know, there is plenty of topics like that in forum, but it's been a while i build a pc. Technology moves, m.2 ssd's in trend and they are fast, and i just worried of loosing my gpu and m.2 performance.
4 REPLIES 4

x-rated
Level 8
there's nothing to worry about, graphics card will use all PCIE lanes from CPU, M.2 SSDs will use 8 lanes from PCH 🙂
https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-briefs/z390-chipset-product-bri...

Thank's mate, i was thinking the same, but i've got everything on my hands, but i will start building on tuesday, and i have some chills on me))) nervous a bit, excited as hell)

Just one more question, nvme m.2 drives, they are plugged in chipset or to cpu lanes?

x-rated
Level 8
Z390 CPUs have only 16 lanes for graphics card https://ark.intel.com/products/186604
so SSDs will use PCH lanes

So i'm ok, my card will run at x16 and both of m.2 drives at x4. That's a relief, but still, i will calm down when the system is booted up and benchmarks made)

Going to spend tuesday benchmarking old pc, to get my satisfaction benchmarking new pc)