cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus XI Hero WiFi (Black Ops 4 Edition) - Random system hangs for a few seconds

Xenonification
Level 7
Hi guys,

I recently just did a pc upgrade, got myself a 9900k, the Maximus XI Hero WiFi special edition and a Zotac 2080ti AMP!. Now I randomly get these freezes that last up to 15 seconds. They don't happen too often, and it sometimes takes up to 4 hours for one to happen. When these freezes occur, the sound, mouse and display freeze completely.

Things I have tried:
- Reinstall Windows 1809 twice. The first time I installed all the Asus utilities and stuff. The second time I disabled the armoury and just installed the drivers.
- Updated the BIOS to the latest version.
- Used latest drivers for my motherboard from the Asus website. Then tried the latest drivers posted on this forum. Tried both types of realtek drivers.
- Checked event log for any errors. Absolutely no errors anywhere when the freeze occurs
- Disabled XMP and all overclocks. Ran Prime95 26.6 for 12 hours with no errors. Then ran RealBench for 12 hours with no errors either.

The other components are:
750W Superflower platinum PSU
Samsung 850 500gb SSD
Corsair H150i Pro (New, got with the 9900k).

I think it may be a faulty motherboard that I'll have to return. But wondering if there may be something obvious that I've missed. Thank you! 🙂
6 REPLIES 6

NemesisChild
Level 12
Welcome to the forum!

Do you have to do a hard restart when the freezing occurs? Have you tried running with all bios setting at default?

Also, failing or defective USB devices can cause similar issues. Could be most anything...
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

mdzcpa
Level 12
What memory kit are you running? How are temps when you freeze? Are you under load?

Thanks for the replies 🙂

No reset, it usually clears itself after 15 seconds and everything carries on like normal. The only usb devices I have plugged in is the Razer Blackwidow, Razer Deathadder and the Astro A40. Could Any of these cause this? And then the H150i plugged into the usb port on the motherboard. And I left the bios at its default settings after I updated the bios.

As for ram, I have 2 x 8GB G Skill 3200mhz RAM. The first time I thought it could be XMP related, so I disabled it and tried again, same freezes. Temperatures are normal when it happens, last time everything was under 50 degrees and it happened while I was navigating the explorer.

Edit: Seems it was related to a faulty drive/sata cable. Changed the cable and haven't had any issues since then. Thanks again for all the suggestions and help guys!

My ZOTAC RTX 2080Ti AMP created as well many issues, when using their faulty FireStorm software. ASUS Code 40 confirmed that the Bios was never shut down but stayed in hibernation mode. Removing Firestorm resulted in the "AO" all OK code.
I am removing this Zotac junk tomorrow to switch to an ASUS TI Strix. Pretty sure Zotac was as well the culprit of having freezes once and a while, or CPY heating up to +70 Celcius in 2 minutes.

Xenonification wrote:
Thanks for the replies 🙂

No reset, it usually clears itself after 15 seconds and everything carries on like normal. The only usb devices I have plugged in is the Razer Blackwidow, Razer Deathadder and the Astro A40. Could Any of these cause this? And then the H150i plugged into the usb port on the motherboard. And I left the bios at its default settings after I updated the bios.

As for ram, I have 2 x 8GB G Skill 3200mhz RAM. The first time I thought it could be XMP related, so I disabled it and tried again, same freezes. Temperatures are normal when it happens, last time everything was under 50 degrees and it happened while I was navigating the explorer.

Edit: Seems it was related to a faulty drive/sata cable. Changed the cable and haven't had any issues since then. Thanks again for all the suggestions and help guys!

hi, what type of sata cable did you end up getting? Thanks.

It's been a good 3 and a half months without the issue showing up again. It was definitely related to a faulty sata cable. Changed it out and didn't have any issues after that. The Event Viewer wasn't showing any errors related to the HDD and I think that's why I didn't even think of that as an option. As for the sata cable that I used, I just took another generic one that I got from one of my older motherboards (Have a ton of them laying around). If you think it's related to that, you can test by unplugging your other drives (Leaving just the windows drive in) and then seeing if it does the freeze even after changing cables. Also, checking the SMART status of the drive could indicate if there are any issues related to the drive itself. Mine showed that there were many errors related to retrying (I think that's what it was called?).

As for Firestorm, that gave me different issues as well related to OCing, although never to that extreme. I did end up removing that software completely in favor of MSI Afterburner.