cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install Additional SSD 860 Evo Sata M.2 not detected

flyer23
Level 7
Hello, sorry to post and ask such questions but I have spent hours trying to get My Z390-H strix ROG mother board to recognize my newly installed 860 Evo Sata M.2 drive. I have an 840 evo SSD with windows on it and 2 other spinners as storage. I want to clone the 840 which has windows on it already to the new 860. I have the migration software but I can't get the new drive to be recognized in bios or windows. I'm sure it is a dumb question but I just can't find the answer any place. By the way the 860 is installed in the lower M.2 slot that says it can be either SATA or NVMe . Any step by step help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance 🙂
4 REPLIES 4

dingo99
Level 10
By the way the 860 is installed in the lower M.2 slot that says it can be either SATA or NVMe .

Which M.2 slot are you using exactly?
Looking at the board the typical way (CPU towards top), the lower slot would be M.2_2, which is PCIe-only.
You should use M.2_1 (near the CPU), which supports SATA and PCIe.

Wollah
Level 7
Under advanced/onboard config, go to M2_1 config: [AUTO][SATA-MODE][PCIE MODE] then you pick AUTO
I have a problemwitth my3.5if I choose anything else then AUTO, then it wont detect myharddisk.
My harddrives in my pc:
------------------------
Drive: C:
Free Space: 360.2 GB
Total Space: 476.3 GB
File System: NTFS
Model: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB

Drive: 😧
Free Space: 2179.0 GB
Total Space: 3815.3 GB
Model: Intel Optane+3.6TBHDD

Drive: E:
Free Space: 183.5 GB
Total Space: 5723.0 GB
Model: WDC WD6002FZWX-00GBGB0

Drive: F:
Free Space: 1252.3 GB
Total Space: 1907.6 GB
Model: TOSHIBA DT01ACA200

Thank you for the replies. Turns out I had the M.2 in the wrong slot since it is a SATA drive. So now installed properly cloded my old rive and now 1 of my 3 Hard drives is not showing up anymore. I have my old SSD, that I cloned to my new M.2. plus 2 spinners that had many files on them. I also have 2 DVD drives hooked to sata on my motherboard. I tried disconnecting one of the DVD drives to get the other spinner to show up but no luck 😞 any ideas since I'm lost 😞

flyer23 wrote:
So now installed properly cloded my old rive and now 1 of my 3 Hard drives is not showing up anymore.

Which SATA port is the missing hard drive plugged into? Try disconnecting one DVD drive, and then move the hard drive onto the SATA port that got freed up.

The chipset only has 6 total SATA ports, so we definitely expect one SATA_6G port to become disabled when you plug in a M.2 SATA SSD. Yet somehow ASUS forgot to mention in the manual which SATA_6G port is affected!