Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ROG Guru: Black Belt Array Korth PC Specs
    Korth PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS X99 R5E (BIOS2101/1902)
    ProcessorHaswell-EP E5-1680-3 SR20H/R2 (4.4GHz)
    Memory (part number)Vengeance LPX 4x8GB SS DDR4-3000 (CMK32GX4M4C3000C15)
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Graphics Card #2NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Sound CardJDS Labs O2+ODAC (RevB), USB2 UAC1
    MonitorASUS PG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSDs, 4xSATA3 RAID0
    Storage #2Comay BladeDrive E28 3200GB SSD, 8xPCIe2
    CPU CoolerRaijintek NEMESIS/TISIS, AS5, 2xNH-A14
    CaseObsidian 750D (original), 6xNH-A14
    Power SupplyZalman/FSP ZM1250 Platinum
    Headset Pilot P51 PTT *modded*
    OS Arch, Gentoo, Win7x64, Win10x64
    Network RouterActiontec T3200M VDSL2 Gateway
    Accessory #1 TP-Link AC1900 Archer T9E, 1xPCIe
    Accessory #2 ASUS/Infineon SLB9635 TPM (TT1.2/FW3.19)
    Accessory #3 ASUS OC Panel I (FW0501)

Cleaning up Win10 is a huge topic in itself, and there's plenty of utilities which promise to conveniently/automatically do it all for you (with varying results).

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-free...em-windows-10/

Go through all the privacy settings (and disable whatever you like). Go through all the update settings (and disable automation as much as they allow). Make a clone/image backup of your entire system drive every now and then - especially before installing/changing drivers or major updates - it'll save you time (and stress) when you need it because sooner or later Win10 will break itself and the first thing to go seems to always be the built-in system restore tools. Make sure your backup works - that is, actually test it out by attempting to restore it before you start really using the computer - because you don't want to discover you're obstructed by some sort of technical/financial barrier when you actually need to recover your data from a busted operating system.

Write down your Genuine Windows Product Key. On a piece of paper. So it's always available (and you can always do a clean install) even after your computer borks. Save copies (on a local drive) of every driver and update and version of anything you install. Because you can't rely on a not-working machine being able to access the internet and you never know when you'll have to rollback from something newer which doesn't work.

You can google up all the Task Manager processes/services or startup items or countless Registry hacks to see what else you can trim out. You can replace all sorts of Microsoft components with non-Microsoft counterparts/alternatives to make things better. But not truly necessary. Note that "telemetry" is Microsoft's corporate euphemism for "spyware" and "tracking" and "datamining".

Aways asserting manual control over the self-updating and always having some sort of working backup/recovery strategy are basically enough to avert all the very worst problems. If you let Windows (Microsoft) handle the details for you then you risk eventually running into problems at some point, it worked fine yesterday then they changed something so it doesn't work today and there's sometimes no going back.
    Last edited by Korth; 12-27-2018 at 02:41 AM.
    "All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

ROG Member Array Simon LeBon PC Specs
    Simon LeBon PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Strix z390-E Gaming
    ProcessorIntel i5-9600k
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600
    Graphics Card #1Asus ROG Strix GeForce® GTX 1060 O6G
    Sound CardOnboard/Motherboard
    MonitorDual Gateway FHD2400
    Storage #1Samsung 970 EVO M.2 500GB NVMe
    Storage #2Buffalo Linkstation Pro Quad - 5.6 TB NAS
    CPU CoolerThermaltake Gravity i2
    CaseCorsair Carbide Series SPEC-03 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower
    Power SupplyThermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 650W 80+ Gold Smart Zero
    Mouse Razer Naga Chroma
    OS Win 10 Pro x64

@7styles: I also would be leaving the auto-update "feature" of windows to at least the notify but do not download until I say setting.

As for navigation of the desktop and start menu... I would highly recommend Start 10 by stardock.

A lot of Stardock's "all encompassing" windows utilities are bloated and using up too much system resources for my liking. BUT Start 10 does not. It's a small package that gives you access to all the things I liked best from Win7/8.

https://www.stardock.com/products/start10/

Quote Originally Posted by Korth View Post
    Cleaning up Win10 is a huge topic in itself, and there's plenty of utilities which promise to conveniently/automatically do it all for you (with varying results).

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-free...em-windows-10/

Go through all the privacy settings (and disable whatever you like). Go through all the update settings (and disable automation as much as they allow). Make a clone/image backup of your entire system drive every now and then - especially before installing/changing drivers or major updates - it'll save you time (and stress) when you need it because sooner or later Win10 will break itself and the first thing to go seems to always be the built-in system restore tools. Make sure your backup works - that is, actually test it out by attempting to restore it before you start really using the computer - because you don't want to discover you're obstructed by some sort of technical/financial barrier when you actually need to recover your data from a busted operating system.

Write down your Genuine Windows Product Key. On a piece of paper. So it's always available (and you can always do a clean install) even after your computer borks. Save copies (on a local drive) of every driver and update and version of anything you install. Because you can't rely on a not-working machine being able to access the internet and you never know when you'll have to rollback from something newer which doesn't work.

You can google up all the Task Manager processes/services or startup items or countless Registry hacks to see what else you can trim out. You can replace all sorts of Microsoft components with non-Microsoft counterparts/alternatives to make things better. But not truly necessary. Note that "telemetry" is Microsoft's corporate euphemism for "spyware" and "tracking" and "datamining".

Aways asserting manual control over the self-updating and always having some sort of working backup/recovery strategy are basically enough to avert all the very worst problems. If you let Windows (Microsoft) handle the details for you then you risk eventually running into problems at some point, it worked fine yesterday then they changed something so it doesn't work today and there's sometimes no going back.
    Thank you very much for the advice and information, I appreciate your time and help.

Hopefully my system will be up and running tomorrow if all goes well, cross fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon LeBon View Post
    @7styles: I also would be leaving the auto-update "feature" of windows to at least the notify but do not download until I say setting.

As for navigation of the desktop and start menu... I would highly recommend Start 10 by stardock.

A lot of Stardock's "all encompassing" windows utilities are bloated and using up too much system resources for my liking. BUT Start 10 does not. It's a small package that gives you access to all the things I liked best from Win7/8.

https://www.stardock.com/products/start10/
    Ah, thank you for the heads up. I will definitely have to check this out, not letting windows 7 auto update was 1 thing I disabled in my last build after a certain update messed up my system and had constant crashes, thank you for your time and help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2