cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help/advice

7styles
Level 7
Hello, I've just upgraded my PC today to the following, Rog Maximus XI Hero (wi-fi), Core i5 9600k and 2x8gb DDR4 Corsair Vengeance rgb pro, I will be upgrading my GPUs soon currently using asus strix 970 sli. So the problem is my mouse and keyboard works fine in the bios but when I reach my windows login my mouse and keyboard doesn't respond, they are receiving power but they don't work.

I've tried using different USB ports still nothing, the operating system I'm using is windows 7 64 bit ultimate that is on an ssd front my last system, I've tried resetting the bios that hasn't helped so far, has anybody come across this problem? All help and advice is much appreciated,

Regards
Jay
13 REPLIES 13

Korth
Level 14
USB standards changed a lot while (and since) Win7 was around so I'm guessing it's likely USB driver/update version issues. You'll need to somehow figure out which drivers are needed and somehow install them onto your Win7 ... you might have to boot a different OS (from a removable drive) or temporarily transfer your Win7 system drive into another machine.

You could try plugging your keyboard/mouse into an externally-powered USB hub. A PS/2 mouse or keyboard might allow you to navigate towards File Explorer or WindowsUpdate (through awkward onscreen keyboards and hotkey shortcuts) to get USB fully working.

You might have working USB keyboard/mouse if you boot Windows into a Safe Mode.
You might have a "Legacy USB" option or the ability configure individual USB ports in BIOS settings.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

haihane
Level 13
i've experienced this before.

you cannot carry-over old boot and transplant it into new system and expect it to work flawlessly.
firsthand experience, old motherboard died. got new motherboard, different vendor, same socket, maybe same chipset? maybe different chipset? everything worked, till the windows hello showed up, and keyboard just won't work. mouse surprisingly did still werk.

ended up having to clean reinstall anyway. and all problems gone gone gone!
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

Menthol
Level 14
Best to update to Win 10

Menthol wrote:
Best to update to Win 10

This, delaying the inevitable is only going to cause more grief in the long run.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

7styles
Level 7
I came across this thread, https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?105870-How-to-install-Windows-7-x64bit-on-Asus-Maximus-XI-... looks like USB options will not work when using windows 7 with my new build. Apparently PS/2 keyboards and mice work but I guess this is not ideal. Sad to say that it looks like I have no choice but to upgrade to windows 10 the 1 thing I didn't want to do as I'm not a big fan.

Win 10 is a huge stability, speed, and efficiency improvement over win 7.

What is it about Win 7 that you like so much? Maybe we can help with the stuff you don't like about Win 10.

Simon LeBon wrote:
Win 10 is a huge stability, speed, and efficiency improvement over win 7.

What is it about Win 7 that you like so much? Maybe we can help with the stuff you don't like about Win 10.

I guess I'm just used to windows 7 after using it over the years and know my way around it like the back of my hand.

I've heard that windows 10 is quite intrusive well that's what I've read by users reviews, it's more likely that its the user interface and whole design aspect side of it I don't like, could you give me your thoughts or advice on windows 10 if you have the time please, it would be very much appreciated.

I did read that there's a windows 7 type skin that can be applied to it but I don't know much about it.

Korth
Level 14
Win10 is definitely far more bloaty and intrusive than Win7. But there are many ways to clean it up and fix it up, get rid of (almost) all the nasty bits.

To be honest, you always need the current version of WinOS when you need compatibility with the world (and compatibility with the latest-and-greatest DX). And hardware keeps pushing forward so the compatibility gap keeps getting wider, Win7 is already teetering on the threshold of EOL hassles and headaches.

And there's linux for everything else. Never too late to start and "... delaying the inevitable is only going to cause more grief in the long run".
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
Win10 is definitely far more bloaty and intrusive than Win7. But there are many ways to clean it up and fix it up, get rid of (almost) all the nasty bits.

To be honest, you always need the current version of WinOS when you need compatibility with the world (and compatibility with the latest-and-greatest DX). And hardware keeps pushing forward so the compatibility gap keeps getting wider, Win7 is already teetering on the threshold of EOL hassles and headaches.

And there's linux for everything else. Never too late to start and "... delaying the inevitable is only going to cause more grief in the long run".

Looks like the windows 10 it's going to be, well that would be the most logical choice. I just ordered a 258 Samsung evo ssd today to install it on, I kinda regret not going for a PCIe M.2 sata ssd but don't know much about them, I haven't been keeping up with the hardware side of PC gaming for a while.

What do you recommend cleaning up and fixing on windows 10? If you don't mind giving a few tips, any info would be much appreciated.