cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice / suggestions on optimizing Ryzen 2600X on CH VII

fullerms
Level 7
Hi all,

I recently built a Ryzen 5 rig with the following specs.

Ryzen 2600X
Asus CH VII Hero
2 x 8 GB GSkill FlareX - 3200 - CAS14
EVGA G3 1KW PSU
ASUS RX580 STRIX 8GB
Fractal Design Meshify C

Cooling Setup
Noctua NH-D15S CPU Cooler with 2 x SanAce 9S1212P4M011 fans in push - push configuration (CPU and OPT fan)
One 9S1212P4M011 fan for rear exhaust (Chassis 1 fan)
2 x Noctua NF-A15 fans for front intake (Chassis 2 fan and HAMP fan)

I followed the advice here and other forums and have been able to complete the following:

• PB enabled in the BIOS
  • Configured -50mv offset to CPU Core voltage .
  • Set minimum processor state to 20% in the Ryzen Balanced Power Plan in Windows 10

The system is rock solid, XFR does its thing when required and even pushed the frequency to 4.598 GHz on two cores :). CPU speed drops to about 2.2 Ghz on light tasks such as browsing and the system runs pretty cool.

Need help / advice on the following.

• I configured Stilt's safe 3333 preset for B Die RAM and it worked until the last few days. Stilt's presets are not sticking anymore and the RAM defaults to the XMP settings.
  • Is it safe to drop the VCore even further so the system will run cooler?
  • I read somewhere that the SoC can also be under volted, how do I do that on a CH VII? And what is a safe value?
  • PCH temperature goes upto 80 C during gaming, it that safe? Or do I need to bring it down?
  • RAM Temps are peaking at 60C, is that ok?
  • Happy with the free performance boost XFR gives me, is there anything else I can configure in the BIOS to push on demand performance even further?

I have attached screen shots of the HWInfo readings, will appreciate any suggestions / advice which will help in dropping temps.

32 REPLIES 32

fullerms
Level 7
Anyone?

Hi Guys,

I would really appreciate some assistance on this thread, especially the points about applying Stilt's Presets and Undervolting the VCore and SoC.

fullerms wrote:
Hi Guys,

I would really appreciate some assistance on this thread, especially the points about applying Stilt's Presets and Undervolting the VCore and SoC.

Reason why no one has answered is probably that your system is ROCK SOLID. So what more can be said than congrats.

1. The Stilt's safe 3333 preset for B Die RAM is irrelevant for what you have and you will have to manually configure primary timings and adjust DRAM voltage to suit for stability. With OC RAM it's really trial and error to get them to their rated frequency.

2. Once you reach your MAX OC then you reduce Core voltage in .01v steps till unstable using same stress test. You then raise Core voltage till you achieve stability and save a profile in Bios. Lowering Core voltage will exponentially decrease heat output but then instability creeps in.

3. AMD recommend a MAX CPU SOC/NB voltage of 1.35V. It varies from system to system and found in Bios. I have an soc of 1.2V

4. PCH temp is high at 80C and critical at 90C however it will attain 80C if under full load constantly. Better case cooling will fix that.

5. Either drop DRAM voltage, get DIMMs with better heat sinks or again better case fan cooling.

6.You can always try to the point that no matter what you do you run into a WALL that you can't go around or climb over without instability. If your ROCK SOLID then be happy with what you have.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

MeanMachine wrote:
You can always try to the point that no matter what you do you run into a WALL that you can't go around or climb over without instability. If your ROCK SOLID then be happy with what you have.

Thanks for the response, will see what I can do about the PCH and RAM temps.

MeanMachine wrote:
Reason why no one has answered is probably that your system is ROCK SOLID. So what more can be said than congrats.

1. The Stilt's safe 3333 preset for B Die RAM is irrelevant for what you have and you will have to manually configure primary timings and adjust DRAM voltage to suit for stability. With OC RAM it's really trial and error to get them to their rated frequency.

2. Once you reach your MAX OC then you reduce Core voltage in .01v steps till unstable using same stress test. You then raise Core voltage till you achieve stability and save a profile in Bios. Lowering Core voltage will exponentially decrease heat output but then instability creeps in.

3. AMD recommend a MAX CPU SOC/NB voltage of 1.35V. It varies from system to system and found in Bios. I have an soc of 1.2V

4. PCH temp is high at 80C and critical at 90C however it will attain 80C if under full load constantly. Better case cooling will fix that.

5. Either drop DRAM voltage, get DIMMs with better heat sinks or again better case fan cooling.

6.You can always try to the point that no matter what you do you run into a WALL that you can't go around or climb over without instability. If your ROCK SOLID then be happy with what you have.

The Stilt's presets should work wonderfully with 3200MHz C14 Flare X. I've used 3 differing kits of dual/quad channel across C6H/C7H/ZE with multiple CPUs. I would deem user needs some tweaks on perhaps ProcODT/CAD Bus, besides setting SOC/VDIMM manually. Unless of course the IMC is pants, but gen 2 defo attains 3200/3333MHz with 2x8GB single rank/sided Samsung B die.

I wouldn't both adjusting CPU voltage. As it's an X CPU I'd opt for PE: Default PBO: Enabled and cane the RAM to the MAX I can.

So far on 3x Ryzen 2700X I've snagged 3466MHz with less than 1V SOC, so I'd defo go manual and not Auto. 3533MHz is sound on one of my CPUs with 1.025V.

PCH can cope with high temps, it can even run without a heatsink and not have issues. Suggestion to improve airflow will aid system though as a whole, so I'd rock on with that.

I have some Ripjaw V and Trident Z, the Ripjaw V run 3533MHz @ 1.35V all day long. They also tighten up more than Trident Z on same board/CPU, etc. So IMO heatsinks matter little on DDR4.

Result in closed case.

Open air case.

Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

gupsterg wrote:
The Stilt's presets should work wonderfully with 3200MHz C14 Flare X. I've used 3 differing kits of dual/quad channel across C6H/C7H/ZE with multiple CPUs. I would deem user needs some tweaks on perhaps ProcODT/CAD Bus, besides setting SOC/VDIMM manually. Unless of course the IMC is pants, but gen 2 defo attains 3200/3333MHz with 2x8GB single rank/sided Samsung B die.

I wouldn't both adjusting CPU voltage. As it's an X CPU I'd opt for PE: Default PBO: Enabled and cane the RAM to the MAX I can.

Could you please walk me through the steps or share a link to a guide?

gupsterg
Level 13
Hmmm, I really don't know of guides I'd use.

I would say invest your own time gaining insight/experience with your HW and tweak as needed.

Personally I'd get rid of the -50mV offset on VCORE if you gonna dabble in RAM OC.

If you were to place a multimeter on Probeit points and take measurements when system POSTs, you will see it lowers the voltages for even that process. CPU voltage at POST is low anyhow, with the offset it will be lower than ~900mV IIRC. If the lowered voltage causes training not to be right, you will keep chasing your tail trying to resolve issues. Once you have decent results/experience of your HW then I'd start dabbling in negative offset of VCORE.

I know a new UEFI for C7H has released, but I believe UEFI 1103 is pretty damn good for CPU/RAM OC, so stick with that for now.

First of all setup a "Base Profile", this is no OC, but things like stock voltages manually set, fan profile, etc set as you'd want. Save this within ASUS User Profiles page.

My Base Profile contains below changes from default :-

Extreme Tweaker Page:-

Ai Overclock Tuner [Manual]
Performance Enhancer [Default]
Performance Bias [None]
Core Performance Boost [Enabled]
SMT Mode [Enabled]
1.8V PLL Voltage [1.80000]
1.05V SB Voltage [1.05000]

DRAM Timings Control Page:-

Cmd2T [1T]
Gear Down Mode [Disabled]
Power Down Enable [Disabled]

External Digi+ Power Control:-

VRM Spread Spectrum [Disabled]

Tweaker's Paradise Page:-

VTTDDR Voltage [Auto]
VPP_MEM Voltage [2.50000]
DRAM CTRL REF Voltage on CHA [0.50000]
DRAM CTRL REF Voltage on CHB [0.50000]
VDDP Voltage [0.90000]
1.8V Standby Voltage [1.80000]
CPU 3.3v AUX [3.30000]
2.5V SB Voltage [2.50000]
Sense MI Skew [Disabled]
CLDO VDDP voltage [950]

Next I'd start OC'ing RAM.

I'd set Memory Frequency [3200MHz], load The Stilt 3200MHz Safe timings preset, set VBOOT/VDIMM 1.35V, set SOC manually to 1V. Test this with Kahru RAM Test. Usually I'll run test to 1000%, do a reboot and rerun and go for higher % in test. I "repeat & rinse" test a few times to be sure I have no run to run POST training variance. Then I'd for 3333MHz using the 3333MHz Safe timings, next 3466MHz using correct preset of timings.

Kahru RAM Test is a very worth while investment if you wanna test RAM. For me it has been very consistent, fast at finding errors and extremely easy to use. I have used GSAT on Linux Mint/Win OS, HCI Memtest v5.0/v6.0, TPU Memtest64, etc.

All 3x 2700X I have tested on C7H WiFi, using 10x sticks of G.Skill 3200MHz C14 2x8GB Samsung B die, need less than 1V SOC to do 3466MHz The Stilt 1T with 1.35V VDIMM. So IMO experience easily should be doable on your Flare X kit.

If you start running into issues change things one at a time.

Note what improves stability.

ProcODT 48/53.3 tends to work great for my setups. CAD Bus usually the [Auto] (24 24 24 24) works well or 20 20 20 20. For upto 3533MHz you shouldn't need to change RTT from [Auto] IMO.

VBOOT/VDIMM I match, VTTDDR I'll set to 0.675V, as I push up VDIMM I may go to 0.687V/0.7V. The calc/rule for VTTDDR is 1/2 of VDIMM, you may find a setting lower or higher than calc works best for your HW combination.

Once you have RAM side nailed I'd opt for PE: Default and PBO: Enabled.
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

gupsterg wrote:
Hmmm, I really don't know of guides I'd use.

Well, you just wrote me one 😮

Thanks, will get started with this and report back on progress. I am not looking for Max OC or Performance, so will take baby steps in the direction you have pointed.

gupsterg wrote:
I'd set Memory Frequency [3200MHz], load The Stilt 3200MHz Safe timings preset, set VBOOT/VDIMM 1.35V, set SOC manually to 1V. Test this with Kahru RAM Test. Usually I'll run test to 1000%, do a reboot and rerun and go for higher % in test. I "repeat & rinse" test a few times to be sure I have no run to run POST training variance. Then I'd for 3333MHz using the 3333MHz Safe timings, next 3466MHz using correct preset of timings.

Kahru RAM Test is a very worth while investment if you wanna test RAM. For me it has been very consistent, fast at finding errors and extremely easy to use. I have used GSAT on Linux Mint/Win OS, HCI Memtest v5.0/v6.0, TPU Memtest64, etc.

All 3x 2700X I have tested on C7H WiFi, using 10x sticks of G.Skill 3200MHz C14 2x8GB Samsung B die, need less than 1V SOC to do 3466MHz The Stilt 1T with 1.35V VDIMM. So IMO experience easily should be doable on your Flare X kit.

So, should I manually set the RAM Speed to a particular frequency (like 3333 Mhz) and then choose Stilt's presets to tighten the timings? I was trying to OC the RAM by choosing DOCP Standard and then choosing different Stilt's presets. Maybe that was why I could not OC the RAM?

Is it safe to choose 3333 Mhz with Stilt's 3333 Fast Preset; with SoC set to 1V and VBOOT / VDIMM @ 1.35V?