Storage #1970 Evo 500GB M.2
    Storage #2860 Evo 500GB
    CPU CoolerCooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R
    CaseCooler Master MasterBox Pro 5
    Power SupplyEVGA - SuperNOVA G2 1000W 80+ Gold
    Keyboard Redragon K503 RGB Gaming Keyboard
    Mouse Razer DeathAdder Elite

VRM Explained on ASUS Maximus XI Hero

this is a must see video of /// VRM Explained on ASUS Maximus XI Hero /// Buildzoid analyzes the ASUS Maximus XI Hero VRM to talk about the "twin-8 phase" design and what it really means. /// https://youtu.be/bLO-vYjJN-I

ROG Guru: Elusive Ronin Array SinisterDev85 PC Specs
    SinisterDev85 PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus Vi Hero
    ProcessorIntel i7 4790k @ 4.8ghz
    Memory (part number)G.Skill Trident X 16GB F3-2400C10D-16GTX
    Graphics Card #1MSI 970 GTX 4GD5T OC
    Sound CardOnboard
    MonitorSamsung JU6500 UHD TV
    Storage #1Samsung 850 Evo SSD x2
    CPU CoolerThermaltake Water 3.0 360mm
    CaseThermaltake Core V51
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNova G2 750w
    Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70
    Mouse Evga Torq 10 carbon
    Mouse Pad Steel Series
    OS Windows 10 Pro 64bit
    Network RouterAsus Rt-AC3100

Just watched that video earlier today... Very technical and in-depth! Idk what to say honestly... Its kinda disappointing. It's making me reconsider getting the Hero XI. I've been considering getting either the 9900k or 9700k and Im not too keen on the Hero XI being the hottest-running of the z390 boards. I think i might wait until the Hero XI Apex is available...That's looking more appealing to me atm.
    ASUS ROG Maximus 8 Hero Alpha | Intel i5 6600k @4.7ghz | G. Skill Trident Z 16gb @ 3499mhz | Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 512gb | ASUS Strix GTX 1070 OC | EVGA Supernova G2 1300w | Windows 10 Pro x64

New ROGer Array

Very disappointed

I always buy ASUS ROG board because they are suppose to be high end board. I was going for the Asus maximus XI code or formula for my z390 build. However this "twice 8 phase" BS has really really turned me off. There are nothing wrong with using cheap components for low end board, but in their high end ROG and then charging it more then the competitors!!! WTH!!! I have lost alot of respect for ASUS.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Yeah people over on OC.net are returning Max X I Hero / Code / Formula boards and going for Gigabyte boards. For Asus, it looks like you have to go to the Extreme, Gene (not available in the US?) or Apex (which is probably going to be over $500) to get a decent VRM. Still no comment from Asus, though what can they say? They decided to go with a new VRM topology, with no doublers. It works, but with VRM temps 10C+ higher.

Maybe Asus will release a revision of the boards with a totally different (and better) VRM, like they did for the Max X Hero /wifi, when they had a parts shortage. This worked out great for those who got Max X Hero boards with the same VRM design as the higher cost ROG boards. Not so great for the people (like me) who got the cheaper, inferior VRM design, that does not report a VRM temp, despite their marketing at the time clearly showing a thermometer over the VRM section, indicating that VRM temp is reported. Asus would never comment on that either, and the details of what they pulled did not surface until a year later, when the whole Z390 VRM analysis craze started.

Generally, Asus BIOS is considered the best, better than Gigabyte. This time around, that is the only advantage I can see, and I am not sure it is worth the "Asus Tax" premium price over competitor's products that have better VRM designs for less money. First the shenanigans they pulled with the MX Hero VRMs, and now this "Twin 8-Phase" BS.

I guess its time to start looking at the Gigabyte BIOS.
    Last edited by BillBittel; 12-27-2018 at 12:46 AM.

New ROGer Array

Does the code have the same VRM as the hero ? What about the Formula ? It's all the same ?

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Feklar PC Specs
    Feklar PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus XI Apex
    Processori9 9900k
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL Trident Z Royal F4-4400C18D-16GTRS
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA w/ Hydro Copper Waterblock
    MonitorAcer Predator X35
    Storage #1Samsung 860 Pro 1TB
    Storage #2850 Evo 1TB and 2TB
    CPU CoolerCustom Water Cooling
    CasePhanteks Evolv X
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2
    Keyboard Logitech G513 Carbon
    Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
    Headset Ultrasone Pro 750
    Headset/Speakers Schiit Gungnir DAC w/Violectric V100 Headphone Amp
    OS Windows 10 Professional
    Accessory #1 Mo-Ra 3 Pro 4x180 Radiator
    Accessory #2 Koolance Fittings and QDC's
    Accessory #3 XSPC Raystorm Neo Metal CPU block w/EVGA Hydro Copper GPU block

Yes, all the same.

i9 9900k + Asus Maximus XI Apex + EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA
    Trident Z Royal F4-4400C18D-16GTRS + Samsung 860 Pro SSD, EVO 1TB, EVO 2TB
    EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2 Power Supply + Phanteks Evolv X case
    XSPC Raystorm Neo Metal CPU block, EVGA Hydro Copper GPU block
    Koolance Fittings and QDC's + Mo-Ra 3 Pro 4x180 Radiator
    LG G32GK850G Monitor +
    Windows 10 Pro

New ROGer Array

What About the Extreme ?

ROG Member Array

Angry Asus must respond

I have to say that my level of disappointment with ASUS is growing. I only build with ASUS and have since 08, so now that my Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition has had DIMM A1 and my PCI-E 16 slot crap out and I'm looking to buy new gear I of course wanted to buy ASUS and was looking at the Z390 Maximus XI Extreme and a 9900K. Then to find out the 9900K is having thermal issues even though it's IHS is soldered on was disheartening enough, but then to find out that ASUS has completely screwed the pooch on their VRM design on the Z390 disappoints me. To think that a brand that I have pushed for 10 years or more and has been an industry leader is either becoming inept in their engineering or that they are purposely trying to deceive their customers so they can increase their profits buy using a cheaper design while charging premium prices breaks my heart and has rocked my brand loyalty, every review I've seen is saying just that. So either ASUS needs to address it now and convince us that their design isn't a mistake some how or they need to admit to their deception.

To think that because of this I have had to consider buying another brand and now Gigabyte has been ranked the best of the Z390's by many reviewers must mean that I've died and gone straight to hell! Gigabyte the the low end joke of the world now stands above ASUS.....I just don't know what to say or do. Do I buy an inferior ASUS product and remain the fan boy or do I admit I now live in Bizarro world and buy a freakin Gigabyte MB? I don't think JJ can explain this one away.

I really feel like ASUS needs to redeem itself on this one with a complete redesign of the Z390 that innovates the VRM beyond what the others are doing and slash the prices of the existing Z390's.

I really wish an ASUS rep would chime in here.....

ROG Enthusiast Array

I agree with everything you said, but if history is any indicator, Asus will remain mum on the subject. There were many posts about the MX Hero VRM variations, some boards reporting VRM temp, others not. Asus reps posting in the same threads would absolutely not address any post directly asking for confirmation that there were 2 versions of the board. It was a year later when every Z390 boards' VRM designs were under intense scrutiny, that Elmor mentioned in passing that the MX Hero wifi had 2 versions with totally different VRMs. When Z370 was still the latest release, and being actively sold, no one from Asus would say word.

Now, all the Z390 marketing pages on the site have been scrubbed of any mention of "Twin 8-Phase". I think only the Extreme mentions VRM at all. So they got the message that people felt mislead adn they dropped the Twin 8-Phase marketing. Rather than highlight the advantages of their new topology, they just stopped mentioning VRMs at all.

They might come out with a major revision with a VRM topology like the other guys, but I dount it. They may just move on. Z390 will not be current for long. It will be interesting to see what they do for whatever the next release is (14nm++++ ?)...

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Zammin PC Specs
    Zammin PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula
    ProcessorIntel 9900K (Conductonaut Applied)
    Memory (part number)G Skill 3200Mhz Trident Z RGB 32GB 3200Mhz CL16
    Graphics Card #1RTX 2080Ti FE
    MonitorAcer Predator XB271HU 165Hz
    Storage #1Samsung 970 EVO 2TB M.2 NVME SSD
    Storage #2Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD
    CPU CoolerEKWB Velocity RGB
    CaseLian Li PC-011 Dynamic
    Power SupplyCorsair RM1000i
    Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum RGB
    Mouse Steel Series Rival 600
    Headset Astro A50 (Gen 2)
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Scabbard
    Headset/Speakers JBL LSR305 Mk II
    OS Windows 10 Pro 64bit

There's no doubt that there has been a number of counts of false/misleading advertising with the new Z390 ASUS Maximus boards, but I have to chime in to say that the VRM is not incapable of handling the 9900k even when overclocked. It certainly could be a lot better for the price and the advertising did originally lie about the phase count but the VRMs on the Hero do not generally overheat unless running very high voltage with no airflow. In the other thread about the XI Hero's VRM (the original one) on the last page you can read about one of the Hero owners who is running his 9900k at 5.1Ghz and his VRMs are fine temperature wise.

The real issue for me is the false advertising. As mentioned above the "twin 8 phase" terminology has been silently removed from the product pages. The marketing pages for the Z390 lineup originally had text that said "all ASUS Z390 motherboards have at least 8 phases" but not long after I pointed this out in the other thread it was silently changed to read "power stages" instead of phases. Luckily I took a screenshot of the page before it was edited by ASUS. Here it is for anyone that wants some proof to hold on to.

https://imgur.com/TJfEYU8

The other piece of misleading advertising is for the Maximus XI Formula and its absolutely pathetic onboard lighting. There is another thread in this forum about it so I won't go into too much detail about it here, but the images on the product page and all sellers pages for the board show this brilliant lighting all across the board, but in reality it is so dim that it basically cannot be seen unless you use bright green or blue and turn off all other lighting in the case, and even then it's incredibly faint. The guy who started the thread about it actually thought his lighting wasn't working at all because he couldn't see it until I suggested he turn off all other lighting. I've been in talks with cl-adrian@asus about it and he has been discussing it with the R&D team via email and all they've had to say so far is "The Maximus XI Formula website image is focusing on highlighting the lighting part, so it looks brighter than real light". So in other words, "We deliberately used misleading images in order to make buyers think the lighting was a lot better than it really is".

Z390 has been a disaster for the Hero/Code/Formula IMO. The prices have gone up from Z370 (in Australia at least) but the quality of the product has not scaled with the price, if anything the Formula seems more like a $350 AUD board being sold for $720 AUD. As you can tell I do feel ripped off.
    Last edited by Zammin; 12-27-2018 at 02:44 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast