Hybrid View

ROG Member Array

Z370-I 2 fans connected to AIO Pump ramp up often and at higher RPM

Bear with me, I'm a first time builder still getting the hang of things following a rather tough build experience.

Build:
    Asus Rog Strix Z370-I
    i7 8700k
    Rog Strix 2080

I have 2 fans connected to the AIO pump connector on the motherboard. Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM and a NF-A8 PWM using the supplied Y splitter that came with the fans.

I've set the AIO Pump to PWM mode as recommended in some posts following some research. The fans connected to the AIO Pump connector seem to run about 200-300 RPM higher than the fans connected to the CPU and chassis fan connectors. During light computer use like browsing on chrome the fans connected to the pump connector ramp up and down very often and are louder than all the other fans. This gets quite annoying and leads me to the following questions:

1) How can I bring down the RPM of the fans connected to the AIO pump connector to match the RPM of the other fans?
    2) How can I stop the fans from ramping up and down so much during normal computer use?
    3) Is it possible to control the fans connected to the AIO Pump connector?

Using the Q-Fan tool I've set the CPU to silent mode and the Chassis to standard.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array GotKevlar PC Specs
    GotKevlar PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Strix Z370-G Gaming (WiFi AC)
    Processori7-8700K @ 4.4 Ghz
    Memory (part number)F4-3466C16D-32GTZ (2x16) (XMP On)
    Graphics Card #1ZT-P10800H-10P
    Sound CardSupremeFX 8-Channel HDA CODEC S1220A
    MonitorSamsung 55" Curved
    Storage #1Samsung SSD 970 EVO 250G NVMe M.2
    Storage #2Intel 660p Series M.2 SSDPEKNW020T8X1
    CPU CoolerNZXT RL-KRX42-02
    CaseTT Level 20 VT
    Power SupplyPS-TPG-0850FPCPUS-P
    Keyboard SteelSeries MERC Stealth
    Mouse R2 Omnimouse
    Headset SteelSeries H Wireless
    Mouse Pad KILLENFLOR DECK
    Headset/Speakers Yamaha SR-300
    OS Win 10 Pro X64 1803 (os build 17134.345)
    Network RouterUbiquiti USGv3
    Accessory #1 (1) ThermalTake 200 mm Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Gibbs View Post
    Bear with me, I'm a first time builder still getting the hang of things following a rather tough build experience.

Build:
    Asus Rog Strix Z370-I
    i7 8700k
    Rog Strix 2080

I have 2 fans connected to the AIO pump connector on the motherboard. Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM and a NF-A8 PWM using the supplied Y splitter that came with the fans.

I've set the AIO Pump to PWM mode as recommended in some posts following some research. The fans connected to the AIO Pump connector seem to run about 200-300 RPM higher than the fans connected to the CPU and chassis fan connectors. During light computer use like browsing on chrome the fans connected to the pump connector ramp up and down very often and are louder than all the other fans. This gets quite annoying and leads me to the following questions:

1) How can I bring down the RPM of the fans connected to the AIO pump connector to match the RPM of the other fans?
    2) How can I stop the fans from ramping up and down so much during normal computer use?
    3) Is it possible to control the fans connected to the AIO Pump connector?

Using the Q-Fan tool I've set the CPU to silent mode and the Chassis to standard.
    My understanding is that the AIO connector is unique compared to the behavior of the standard fan connectors. I have an actual pump connected to my aio header and it never drops below 2k rpm. But because its a pump , not a fan, its not a big deal. Did you try changing the sensor that the connector is monitoring or seeing if the other fan connectors behave the same way ?

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array Menthol PC Specs
    Menthol PC Specs
    MotherboardM 10 Apex / XI gene
    Processor8700K / 9900K
    Memory (part number)2x8 Gskill Trident Z 4266/2x2x8 Gskill Trident Z 4500
    Graphics Card #1RTX 2080ti / GTX 1060
    Sound CardSoundBlaster Ae5 / Onboard
    MonitorBENQ 32" 4K
    Storage #1Intel 900p 480GB/Samsung 960 Pro 1TB
    Storage #2Intel 750 1.2TB/Plextor 1 TB 2X 950 Pro
    CPU CoolerCorsair H150i AIO / H1110i
    CaseCorsair 740 ? Lian Li Air
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1200i / AX 1200i
    Keyboard Corsair
    Mouse ASUS Strix
    Headset HyperX Cloud Alpha
    Mouse Pad ASUS
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z906
    OS 10 X64 Pro
    Network RouterVerizon Fios
    Accessory #1 Intel Wifi BT pcie card
    Accessory #2 Red Bull
    Accessory #3 English Breakfast Tea

What AIO are you using?
    Does the pump connect to an onboard UEB header?
    Is there manufacturer software to control fans and or pump speed?
    Does you pump connect directly to the power supply, usually be SATA power connection?

One method is connect the radiator fans to the motherboard CPU and or CPU_OPT fan headers, and control those fans in the bios

ROG Member Array

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough in my initial post. I'll further clarify. I don't have an AIO connected. Instead of an AIO I put two Noctua fans using a Y splitter which are connected to the AIO connector. The fans connected to this AIO connector were running at an average of 200-300 RPM higher than the other fans connected to the chassis fan and CPU fan connectors.

I updated my BIOS firmware and reset the CMOS while troubleshooting an overclock and all fans speeds seem to be operating within similar ranges now. When in doubt reset I guess...

Thanks for the insights