cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OC settings gone after BIOS update, Windows still showing overclock?

Gibbs
Level 7
I've updated the BIOS firmware on my Asus Rog Strix Z370-I to 1601. When entering the BIOS all of my overclock settings are gone including the saved profile. When I look at my clock speed in windows task manager my overclock is still present from before the BIOS firmware update. Wouldn't the OC be reset?

I'm not sure how to use the CPR reset feature mentioned in the manual, I couldn't find that setting. I did reset settings to default settings using the F5 key and this didn't change anything. I also tried a CMOS reset by short circuiting the two pins, though I don't think that worked.

Any insight is appreciated.
7 REPLIES 7

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
AFAIK windows is incapable of correctly reporting any overclock correctly..

Did you clear CMOS with the PSU off?

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
AFAIK windows is incapable of correctly reporting any overclock correctly..

Did you clear CMOS with the PSU off?

Do you mean unplugged or with the switch on the PSU in the off position? In this scenario I did it with the PSU unplugged.*

I don’t have a jumper cap. I had to use a screw driver on the pins and I’m not confident that the CMOS reset worked this way.*Should I be doing this right *after unplugging it when there is still some juice left in the PSU? Or wait for all the LEDs to shut off then do it?

The Z370-i doesn’t seem to have a traditional battery on the board either. How does one go about removing it? Would it be by unplugging a the small connector shown in the diagram?

I also confirmed the OC with CPU-Z and windows and both were showing the same clock speed. *

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Switch off on PSU or unplugged..either way...but wait for residual power to drain (all LEDs off etc)...you can press "on" button to drain this quicker...then clear CMOS

From what I can make out there is a battery header lower left side...a wire connected to a header...

How did you set up the OC? In BIOS or with some software?

Arne Saknussemm wrote:

How did you set up the OC? In BIOS or with some software?

I set up the OC in the BIOS.

I was able to successfully reset the CMOS by unplugging the battery. I think I need to get myself some needle nose pliers if I'm going to be troubleshooting a ITX PC.

I opened up CPU-Z and Task Manager and the core speed is fluctuating a lot. My guess is that there is some automatic setting enabled in the BIOS causing this because the core speed bounces around between 4.3-4.7 GHz and doesn't stay at the 4.4 that I previously set it to. Here is a quick screenshot of my BIOS settings which shows the Target CPU Turbo-mode frequency is set to 4700MHz. No idea what setting would be causing this?

I'm going to create my previous overclock profile again and see if listens to that versus this.

Though I would love to know how to reset everything so I'm back at stock speeds if possible. I also don't know if what I am experiencing is normal? I never looked at my core speed before over clocking to see if this is how it was behaving.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
The core speed fluctuation is normal...speedstep or speedhift or whatever Intel are calling it these days....C states in BIOS and Power Plan settings in Windows control this.

It's very quick response so it's a good feature to have. No point running your CPU at full whack if it's idle....

@Arne

Thanks for all your help!

I re-created my OC after the firmware update and CMOS refresh and my OC is showing up properly in windows and CPU-Z. All is well.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40