cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus ROG GU501GM power plans issue.

PrazzyinglyGG12
Level 7
Whenever I plug in the power adapter, the power plan in windows 10 changes to "High Performance". On the other hand, when unplugged, it automatically changes to "Power Saver". I want to disable this feature. I've tried every solution that I've found online like resetting power plans, deleting power plans from registery, and disabling all startup apps and still no progress.
2 REPLIES 2

Korth
Level 14
Control Panel > Power Options > Choose or edit/customize a power plan > Change plan settings > Change advanced plan settings
You can enable/disable/timeout each specific item as you like.

"Balanced" and "Power saver" and "High performance" are just convenience labels, you can configure them or (re)name them as you like.

You can find more options in "Change battery settings" and "Change when the computer sleeps" and "Change what closing the lid does".
Including power plan options for battery power vs external power.

Windows tends to work better when you work with Windows as Microsoft intended. Registry hacks which circumvent the UI automation layers can be hit or miss. You may need to login/Run as Administrator and you may need to restart the machine (twice) for changes to persist. (That is a full Shutdown-and-Restart, not just close-the-lid-Sleep-open-the-lid-Wake.)

If it somehow just won't work or something's broken then you may have to install a third-party power management app.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
Control Panel > Power Options > Choose or edit/customize a power plan > Change plan settings > Change advanced plan settings
You can enable/disable/timeout each specific item as you like.

"Balanced" and "Power saver" and "High performance" are just convenience labels, you can configure them or (re)name them as you like.

You can find more options in "Change battery settings" and "Change when the computer sleeps" and "Change what closing the lid does".
Including power plan options for battery power vs external power.

Windows tends to work better when you work with Windows as Microsoft intended. Registry hacks which circumvent the UI automation layers can be hit or miss. You may need to login/Run as Administrator and you may need to restart the machine (twice) for changes to persist. (That is a full Shutdown-and-Restart, not just close-the-lid-Sleep-open-the-lid-Wake.)

If it somehow just won't work or something's broken then you may have to install a third-party power management app.

The problem isn't with power plans. I've deleted both the "High Performance" and "Power Saver" plans and set the plan to "Balanced", but once the laptop is unplugged, a "Power Saver" plan is created on its own in the settings and is activated. The same happens when I plug it in, a new "High Performance" plan appears in the power options and is activated.