cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Zenith + 2950X + High Temps?

BeedooX
Level 7
I'm new to these forums, so hi all!

I've just built a new system around the Threadripper 2950X (not overclocked) and ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme motherboard (25th Dec). Apart from flashing the BIOS and setting the 64GB ram to 2666MHZ, the BIOS is pretty much default settings. I also noted that the board didn't come with the rumored cooling kit.

Some time ago, I bought a Swiftech H240 X2 prestige liquid cooling kit which has a 280mm radiator and 2 x 140mm noise blocker fans (airflow in), and which I used with my older 5930K build. I've now re-used this on my Threadripper build, but flushed and primed the system and installed a massive Heatkiller Pro IV full-copper water block, connecting the pump-side tubing to the water block 'in' port and loaded it up with completely new coolant.

At around 10.30pm when I finished the build, the ambient air temps reported 25c but it felt much cooler with air blowing in from the adjacent window. At that time, the Ryzen master software was reporting 35c at idle. The issue then was that any CPU usage (at idle - maybe Windows Update?) was causing drastic spikes in temperature and wild fan noise - so I decided to reinstall the water block this morning (following the HardOCP TIM application method for the Noctura NT-H1 TIM).

After reinstalling, and with obviously higher daytime ambient temps (27c), the idle temp of the CPU is 40-41c but the fans are more subdued. I would have expected better based on other stories I've read of peoples CPU temps with this processor. So 13-14c over ambient at idle.

In use, this CPU seems to temperature up pretty quickly under light workloads - opening a word document, or performance monitor - ramping up to 50-55 in the blink of an eye with Ryzen Master reporting 1.3v+. Under heavier workloads handbrake, 67c and all cores at 3.5-3.7Ghz through to the end of the 25 minute conversion. Being such a new CPU (to me anyway), I'm still getting used to its behavior.

What's your experience with a similar setup? Did you guys alter any BIOS settings from default to make your setup run cooler?
1 REPLY 1

BeedooX
Level 7
All sorted.

The Thermaltake C1000 coolant was a bad batch somehow. Spent four hours yesterday flushing the entire system to remove separated pigment and lumps of gunk.

Replaced this temporarily with the only coolant I have (distilled water), and the temps are now steady at 61c while converting one of my old DVDs using Handbrake. This, while sitting around 4.1Ghz on all cores and ambient temps of 28c.

Idle temps sit around 4-6c above ambient.