cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New at OCing

TheDragon
Level 7
Hi, I am new at overclocking but I decided to try it. I got an NVIDIA GeForce Dual-GTX 1060 6GB OC from Asus, and have managed to overclock it as much as I can. The temperature is under 70 degrees at all time, and yes I have benchmarked it with 3Dmark TIme spy benchmark. I haven't touched the voltage bar (I am using GPU Tweak 2) and when I do the benchmark won't run so I keep it untouched. Any tips to get it more overclocked?

I mostly play Kingdom come deliverance and Dishonored 2. I can run KCD stable and good, but Dishonored has started to get random crashes/freezes I do not know it is because of the overclocking. Help.

And the last thing. I have been overclocking my CPU as well, an i3-8350k, with the OC Genie 4 but the benchmark says it still has 4000 MHz while the Genie says it keeps the clock running at 4200 MHz. What is the solution to this and what have I done wrong?

Thanks for any replies!
You are supposed to smear the cooling paste behind the CPU on the pins, right?
12 REPLIES 12

TheDragon
Level 7
Update: I just had blue screen and because I am paranoid I turned off the OC Genie 4, and I got a new one so I reset my GPU OC as well...

JustinThyme
Level 13
For your CPU OC use the BIOS instead of any software solution. There are lots of guides.*

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
For your CPU OC use the BIOS instead of any software solution. There are lots of guides.*

That is exactly what I am using. There is a button in the BIOS called OC or something that I use. I only use software for the GPU OC.

JustinThyme
Level 13
EZ button?*
You will get better results reading some of the guides and making the changes yourself.*
You threw me off with OC genie as that’s an MSI term on an ASUS forum. *

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
You threw me off with OC Genie as that’s an MSI term on an ASUS forum. *

As it is an MSI mb I had to throw that term, as it is what I am using.
Do you recommend to turn it off and OC on my own?

Edit: I have registered on the msi forum, so if you all could focus on the GPU as that is from Asus.

Now I am getting BSoD while playing Dishonored 2

Menthol
Level 14
We cannot really help you with motherboard issues as this is an ASUS forum but you do have an ASUS Video card
Is your motherboard set to default settings? If not enter bios hit F5, save and restart. If you still have this issue, uninstall your Video drivers and reinstall the latest version.
If this still persists, check forums for your specific game and or Nvidia forums for driver issues for your specific game

Menthol wrote:
We cannot really help you with motherboard issues as this is an ASUS forum but you do have an ASUS Video card
Is your motherboard set to default settings? If not enter bios hit F5, save and restart. If you still have this issue, uninstall your Video drivers and reinstall the latest version.
If this still persists, check forums for your specific game and or Nvidia forums for driver issues for your specific game

I am not asking for help with the motherboard, just the gpu 🙂
I have already asked msi about it.

Menthol
Level 14
I understand, what steps have you tried to date to cure your problem, seems like a game specific issue