cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL504GM Framerate Issues

DeadFireNL
Level 7
Hi all,

Last week I've acquired a Strix Hero 2 GL504GM (intel i7-8750H, 1060 6GB), and while it is an amazing upgrade over my previous laptop, I've encountered a few very peculiar framerate issues in some games that I've been unable to track down. I suspect there are others with similar problems, but I've found it quite tough to formulate my issue into a google-able search, or to know whether other problems really are similar to this one. I'm really hoping someone can give some insight into my problem.
Running less intensive, more casual games is completely fine. I've ran the Heaven benchmark, my GPU reaches 100% load on a stable 1900MHz (automatic OC), and all the temperatures stay well within acceptable ranges (<65C). No issues either.
Suddenly I've started noticing serious framerate drops during a few games, occurring first in Planetside 2 and Destiny 2. Starting the game, I can hear the fans ramping up to keep the system cool and they do so very effectively, both the GPU and the CPU do not surpass 70C. After approximately a minute or so, every 5-10 seconds, the framerate drops from about 100 fps to 35 fps for 1-2 seconds, then jumps right back to 100+.
Investigating my system with MSI Afterburner as well as in task manager, nothing seems to be out of the ordinary, nothing indicating a CPU bottleneck, except that Afterburner indicates that at every framerate drop, the GPU clock decreases to about 1300MHz, and shows a "Power limit" as reason for the performance cap. Furthermore, the GPU utilisation does not seem to exceed about 60-70% in most cases (unlike the benchmark), but during the clock speed decrease, the utilisation now does hit 100% (due to reduced performance at low clock speeds?), which both seem odd to me.
However, when I launch EA's Battlefront 2, the issue just does not seem to arise (haven't checked average GPU utilisation, but there are no noticeable framerate drops whatsoever).

This odd combination of events suggests to me that there is no hardware power problem going on (feel free to enlighten me however), and ASUS support advised me to refresh the OS when I contacted them.
This seemed to fix the problem, I used the built-in OS refresh option, reinstalled only the games, and I no longer noticed the framerate issues in the games they previously appeared in. Relieved, I reinstalled a few of my other programs, including Afterburner. I launched Overwatch (for the first time), and immediatly the problem had returned, in both that game as well as the previous ones. It seems the problem had narrowed down to the programs that I had installed later, so I removed all of them and restarted again. Problem solved. A quick google search did indicate that Afterburner could indeed be causing issues with the GPU in some cases, although I chose to not reinstall any of the later programs. Spent a few more hours running games, temps still well under control and no further issues arose.
Next day, I launch a few of them again, and did not encounter any oddities for another few hours. I launched another game for the first time, Mirror's Edge Catalyst. Behold, the framerate issues appeared. I launched Destiny 2 again, which ran absolutely fine just half an hour earlier, and to my dismay, the issues arose.
I've tested Battlefront 2 again, for a solid 1-2 hours, and once again did not encounter any issues here.

I'm out of clues, the problem seems so random. My very last theory that this would only happen at full battery charge (for example if it repeatedly stops and restarts the charging to keep the battery at 100%) was also disproved since the issues persist at lower battery levels (while plugged in).
On a final perhaps useful note, when the laptop is running on battery, the framerate is expectedly low, but very close to when a framerate drop occurs when plugged in. Also, there are no further framerate drops when on battery.

Sincere apologies for the wall of text here. What a way to make an entrance on a community forum.
I'm really interested in hearing suggestions. I'll also be contacting support again after the weekend, but my fear is that there is not much they can do at a distance, likely meaning I'll need to RMA the laptop for something that seems more software related, which I fear will not solve the problem (aside from the hundreds of gigabytes of data I'll need to copy to avoid all those redownloads).
Sincerely thanks in advance!

Edit: Ok, I just found out a few things about a hidden Bios update to version 306, I haven't encountered it myself, my laptop is at 304 which is the same version as the website advertises being the latest. It seems to be able to resolve these fps drops, at least I see a lot of people mentioning that in threads. So, if someone has more information on how to go about acquiring a not-really-released bios update, feel free to share 🙂 (Might be due for later here in the Netherlands, I'm aware that different regions can have different release dates for software/firmware)
35 REPLIES 35

desuzarasu
Level 7
hi, i have the same computer as you, and also have the horrible dips, even on old games as FC3 and the like.. that is before i undervolt the dang thing. after undervolting, the CPU will do a constant run at 3.9, no throttling, with temps only goes to 80C at standard fan config (before undervolt the temps will go to 90+ and then the CPU will throttle and the FPS will fluctuate too)

also, did your computer have the sound bug? as the one listed here > https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?106137-GL504GS-Nahimic-Service-(audio-drivers)-and-clipboa... i got rid of it by deleting the Sonic things and just disabling the Nahimic Service process.

Fullrom
Level 7
DeadFireNL wrote:
Hi all,

Last week I've acquired a Strix Hero 2 GL504GM (intel i7-8750H, 1060 6GB), and while it is an amazing upgrade over my previous laptop, I've encountered a few very peculiar framerate issues in some games that I've been unable to track down. I suspect there are others with similar problems, but I've found it quite tough to formulate my issue into a google-able search, or to know whether other problems really are similar to this one. I'm really hoping someone can give some insight into my problem.
Running less intensive, more casual games is completely fine. I've ran the Heaven benchmark, my GPU reaches 100% load on a stable 1900MHz (automatic OC), and all the temperatures stay well within acceptable ranges (<65C). No issues either.
Suddenly I've started noticing serious framerate drops during a few games, occurring first in Planetside 2 and Destiny 2. Starting the game, I can hear the fans ramping up to keep the system cool and they do so very effectively, both the GPU and the CPU do not surpass 70C. After approximately a minute or so, every 5-10 seconds, the framerate drops from about 100 fps to 35 fps for 1-2 seconds, then jumps right back to 100+.
Investigating my system with MSI Afterburner as well as in task manager, nothing seems to be out of the ordinary, nothing indicating a CPU bottleneck, except that Afterburner indicates that at every framerate drop, the GPU clock decreases to about 1300MHz, and shows a "Power limit" as reason for the performance cap. Furthermore, the GPU utilisation does not seem to exceed about 60-70% in most cases (unlike the benchmark), but during the clock speed decrease, the utilisation now does hit 100% (due to reduced performance at low clock speeds?), which both seem odd to me.
However, when I launch EA's Battlefront 2, the issue just does not seem to arise (haven't checked average GPU utilisation, but there are no noticeable framerate drops whatsoever).

This odd combination of events suggests to me that there is no hardware power problem going on (feel free to enlighten me however), and ASUS support advised me to refresh the OS when I contacted them.
This seemed to fix the problem, I used the built-in OS refresh option, reinstalled only the games, and I no longer noticed the framerate issues in the games they previously appeared in. Relieved, I reinstalled a few of my other programs, including Afterburner. I launched Overwatch (for the first time), and immediatly the problem had returned, in both that game as well as the previous ones. It seems the problem had narrowed down to the programs that I had installed later, so I removed all of them and restarted again. Problem solved. A quick google search did indicate that Afterburner could indeed be causing issues with the GPU in some cases, although I chose to not reinstall any of the later programs. Spent a few more hours running games, temps still well under control and no further issues arose.
Next day, I launch a few of them again, and did not encounter any oddities for another few hours. I launched another game for the first time, Mirror's Edge Catalyst. Behold, the framerate issues appeared. I launched Destiny 2 again, which ran absolutely fine just half an hour earlier, and to my dismay, the issues arose.
I've tested Battlefront 2 again, for a solid 1-2 hours, and once again did not encounter any issues here.

I'm out of clues, the problem seems so random. My very last theory that this would only happen at full battery charge (for example if it repeatedly stops and restarts the charging to keep the battery at 100%) was also disproved since the issues persist at lower battery levels (while plugged in).
On a final perhaps useful note, when the laptop is running on battery, the framerate is expectedly low, but very close to when a framerate drop occurs when plugged in. Also, there are no further framerate drops when on battery.

Sincere apologies for the wall of text here. What a way to make an entrance on a community forum.
I'm really interested in hearing suggestions. I'll also be contacting support again after the weekend, but my fear is that there is not much they can do at a distance, likely meaning I'll need to RMA the laptop for something that seems more software related, which I fear will not solve the problem (aside from the hundreds of gigabytes of data I'll need to copy to avoid all those redownloads).
Sincerely thanks in advance!

Edit: Ok, I just found out a few things about a hidden Bios update to version 306, I haven't encountered it myself, my laptop is at 304 which is the same version as the website advertises being the latest. It seems to be able to resolve these fps drops, at least I see a lot of people mentioning that in threads. So, if someone has more information on how to go about acquiring a not-really-released bios update, feel free to share 🙂 (Might be due for later here in the Netherlands, I'm aware that different regions can have different release dates for software/firmware)

306 doesnt do it, 307 does! but its still unofficial although a few owners have reported no issues updating the bios so far
here is the thread

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?107124-News-!!!-%26%23128532%3B-%26%23128532%3B-%26%231285...

Hello guys, its been 2 years since i bought Asus Strix hero 2(GTX 1060,I7 8750 H) . I have experienced frame drops for every 1-2 minutes (drastic drops) To know the reason i installed MSI Afterburner ,what I observed was during that drop for 1-2 seconds repeaedly over a time GPU usage is going 100% and getting back to normal after that drop.Please refer the attached screenshot for reference.I uninstalled ,reinstalled NVDIA graphic drivers,reinstalled Windows,Cleaned fan vents but still issue persists.So i gave it to Asus Service center ,they told there is some issue with motherboard and they changed it ,and it worked fine without any issue for 8 months ,and suddenly one day the same issue came again.Can anyone please explain me what can I do now ?? Did i receive defective product from the store or still anyone experiencing this same issue ? Does undervolting helps??Cause i didnt try it .It would be very helpful if anyone gives some advice .Thanks in advance!

Games I play:

Tom Clancys Rainbow SIx siege
Pubg PC
GTA 5
TOMB Raider
Apex legends
Valorant

rohmuk3333 wrote:
Hello guys, its been 2 years since i bought Asus Strix hero 2(GTX 1060,I7 8750 H) . I have experienced frame drops for every 1-2 minutes (drastic drops) To know the reason i installed MSI Afterburner ,what I observed was during that drop for 1-2 seconds repeaedly over a time GPU usage is going 100% and getting back to normal after that drop.Please refer the attached screenshot for reference.I uninstalled ,reinstalled NVDIA graphic drivers,reinstalled Windows,Cleaned fan vents but still issue persists.So i gave it to Asus Service center ,they told there is some issue with motherboard and they changed it ,and it worked fine without any issue for 8 months ,and suddenly one day the same issue came again.Can anyone please explain me what can I do now ?? Did i receive defective product from the store or still anyone experiencing this same issue ? Does undervolting helps??Cause i didnt try it .It would be very helpful if anyone gives some advice .Thanks in advance!

Games I play:

Tom Clancys Rainbow SIx siege
Pubg PC
GTA 5
TOMB Raider
Apex legends
Valorant

We have same issue which drop my framerate when it reach on 100% on my GPU. I dont really know if the issue is realted to nvidia driver

silvergem wrote:
We have same issue which drop my framerate when it reach on 100% on my GPU. I dont really know if the issue is realted to nvidia driver

Any Solution bro?

Blake1
Level 10
Hello rohmuk3333,
May I have a complete video record of the FPS drop issue?
Thank you.

Blake@ASUS wrote:
Hello rohmuk3333,
May I have a complete video record of the FPS drop issue?
Thank you.

Please Share me your mail id ,i will send in drive.Thank you

Blake1
Level 10
Hello rohmuk3333,
Please set the right as "anyone who knows the link can view"
and you can share the link in PM only if you have further concern.
I would need to ask technical support to help and watch the video as well.
Thank you.

Blake@ASUS wrote:
Hello rohmuk3333,
Please set the right as "anyone who knows the link can view"
and you can share the link in PM only if you have further concern.
I would need to ask technical support to help and watch the video as well.
Thank you.

Hi Please look into the video from this below link,Thank you

https://youtu.be/fNpIR3m9KP8 (GTA5)

https://youtu.be/MGq7sqgvRZw (Rainbow Six Siege)

**************** Point to be noted here is GPU Clock is decreasing from 1400 Mhz to 250 Mhz ...this usually occurs due to bad thermal paste or overheating .I gave it to service center also ,they repasted (thermal paste) ,but issue still persists.Please have a look at those vidoes and suggest me anything i could do . Thanks you in advance ***********************