Thread: VPN Strangeness

ROG Member Array

VPN Strangeness

Run my own private VPN on AWS. Have no problems connecting to it from my desktop development machine (Win 10/64 Fast Ring) using a standard Windows VPN (PPoE) connection as long as I'm hardwired to my ASUS AC RT68U. If I try to connect through a WiFi connection - same computer, same router, the login fails. All the router passthroughs are enabled. I.e. PPTP and L2TP. Enabled PPPoE Relay. Wasn't expecting this to make a difference and it didn't. Not a strong routing table person, but the four entries there are the router defaults and I don't see anything that is WiFi interface related. Nothing in the router general or wireless logs.

Any suggestions?

ROG Member Array

Oh, and I should mention that hosting the VPN using the RT68U as the endpoint also works fine. The problem is only when Windows devices connected by WiFi through the router try to set up their own VPN connection that there is a problem. Strangely enough, Windows devices using non-Windows VPN clients (i.e. AnyConnect) work fine over WiFi.

ROG Member Array

Just humor me and manually set a different DNS server for your wifi interface on windows. *Then try again. *If you don't know of one, try google's 8.8.8.8

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by EricTheRed View Post
    Just humor me and manually set a different DNS server for your wifi interface on windows. *Then try again. *If you don't know of one, try google's 8.8.8.8
    Unfortunately no difference. Should say that both the wired and wireless adapters are set the same (default) with DHCP with auto IPv4 and DNS assigned.
    Last edited by wrldtvlr; 12-30-2018 at 03:11 AM.

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array Korth PC Specs
    Korth PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS X99 R5E (BIOS2101/1902)
    ProcessorHaswell-EP E5-1680-3 SR20H/R2 (4.4GHz)
    Memory (part number)Vengeance LPX 4x8GB SS DDR4-3000 (CMK32GX4M4C3000C15)
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Graphics Card #2NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Sound CardJDS Labs O2+ODAC (RevB), USB2 UAC1
    MonitorASUS PG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSDs, 4xSATA3 RAID0
    Storage #2Comay BladeDrive E28 3200GB SSD, 8xPCIe2
    CPU CoolerRaijintek NEMESIS/TISIS, AS5, 2xNH-A14
    CaseObsidian 750D (original), 6xNH-A14
    Power SupplyZalman/FSP ZM1250 Platinum
    Headset Pilot P51 PTT *modded*
    OS Arch, Gentoo, Win7x64, Win10x64
    Network RouterActiontec T3200M VDSL2 Gateway
    Accessory #1 TP-Link AC1900 Archer T9E, 1xPCIe
    Accessory #2 ASUS/Infineon SLB9635 TPM (TT1.2/FW3.19)
    Accessory #3 ASUS OC Panel I (FW0501)

Your wireless adapter may not be compatible with a virtual router.

Type "netsh wlan show drivers" at command prompt. "Hosted network supported" must be YES if you want this VPN to run across wireless. If it's NO then you might be able to enable it through the Device Manager (advanced settings/properties for that adapter) or you might be able to enable (emulate) it with added VPN software. You may need to contact AWS support or use a different VPN.
    Last edited by Korth; 12-30-2018 at 04:45 AM.
    "All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Korth View Post
    Your wireless adapter may not be compatible with a virtual router.

Type "netsh wlan show drivers" at command prompt. "Hosted network supported" must be YES if you want this VPN to run across wireless. If it's NO then you might be able to enable it through the Device Manager (advanced settings/properties for that adapter) or you might be able to enable (emulate) it with added VPN software. You may need to contact AWS support or use a different VPN.
    Thank you for the suggestion. The driver is a Broadcom 802.11ac Network Adapter, and it does show Hosted Network Supported as Yes.

The Intel I.211 Ethernet interface on my development machine is built into a ASUS 170 Deluxe motherboard. I did also try using an Inamax USB WiFI Ethernet interface, but that didn't make any difference. Suspecting something strange with the Windows VPN client. Will see if I can find a third party PPoE client to try.