cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN Strangeness

wrldtvlr
Level 7
Run my own private VPN on AWS. Have no problems connecting to it from my desktop development machine (Win 10/64 Fast Ring) using a standard Windows VPN (PPoE) connection as long as I'm hardwired to my ASUS AC RT68U. If I try to connect through a WiFi connection - same computer, same router, the login fails. All the router passthroughs are enabled. I.e. PPTP and L2TP. Enabled PPPoE Relay. Wasn't expecting this to make a difference and it didn't. Not a strong routing table person, but the four entries there are the router defaults and I don't see anything that is WiFi interface related. Nothing in the router general or wireless logs.

Any suggestions?
5 REPLIES 5

wrldtvlr
Level 7
Oh, and I should mention that hosting the VPN using the RT68U as the endpoint also works fine. The problem is only when Windows devices connected by WiFi through the router try to set up their own VPN connection that there is a problem. Strangely enough, Windows devices using non-Windows VPN clients (i.e. AnyConnect) work fine over WiFi.

EricTheRed
Level 7
Just humor me and manually set a different DNS server for your wifi interface on windows. *Then try again. *If you don't know of one, try google's 8.8.8.8

EricTheRed wrote:
Just humor me and manually set a different DNS server for your wifi interface on windows. *Then try again. *If you don't know of one, try google's 8.8.8.8

Unfortunately no difference. Should say that both the wired and wireless adapters are set the same (default) with DHCP with auto IPv4 and DNS assigned.

Korth
Level 14
Your wireless adapter may not be compatible with a virtual router.

Type "netsh wlan show drivers" at command prompt. "Hosted network supported" must be YES if you want this VPN to run across wireless. If it's NO then you might be able to enable it through the Device Manager (advanced settings/properties for that adapter) or you might be able to enable (emulate) it with added VPN software. You may need to contact AWS support or use a different VPN.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
Your wireless adapter may not be compatible with a virtual router.

Type "netsh wlan show drivers" at command prompt. "Hosted network supported" must be YES if you want this VPN to run across wireless. If it's NO then you might be able to enable it through the Device Manager (advanced settings/properties for that adapter) or you might be able to enable (emulate) it with added VPN software. You may need to contact AWS support or use a different VPN.

Thank you for the suggestion. The driver is a Broadcom 802.11ac Network Adapter, and it does show Hosted Network Supported as Yes.

The Intel I.211 Ethernet interface on my development machine is built into a ASUS 170 Deluxe motherboard. I did also try using an Inamax USB WiFI Ethernet interface, but that didn't make any difference. Suspecting something strange with the Windows VPN client. Will see if I can find a third party PPoE client to try.