cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Strix 2080 Ti OC really loud? This was to be a silent card.

ekt3lion
Level 7
Is it normal for this card to randomly start sounding like a hairdryer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi8v-cNXp0E

My pc is very silent the only thing doing loud noise is this, wasn't the strix brand supposed to be the silent cards?

Anything that might fix this? In the Gpu tweak the fan curve is auto mode, not like you can tweak it in the first place i guess?
21 REPLIES 21

mdzcpa
Level 12
ekt3lion wrote:
Is it normal for this card to randomly start sounding like a hairdryer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi8v-cNXp0E

My pc is very silent the only thing doing loud noise is this, wasn't the strix brand supposed to be the silent cards?

Anything that might fix this? In the Gpu tweak the fan curve is auto mode, not like you can tweak it in the first place i guess?

A few ways to handle this:

1) Do you have the BIOS switch toggled to silent mode?

2) Yes, you can easily set user define fan curves in GPU Tweak. Did you sent up a custom fan curve that can limit fan speeds to a more desirable level?

mcmarky
Level 8
I think you have switched to the Quiet-BIOS as I did on my Strix RTX2080 OC.

It is the loop of fans ramp up and down when leaving fanstop at about GPU 55°C to 60°C. This range is very critical, because the fans accelerate to 1000rpm and runs out and push again. Simply said, a fan hystersis is missing. When the GPU cools down the fan ramping starts at about 46°C til fanstop.

For me it is disappointing.

Hope for a firmware-update soon.

Just set a user defined fan curve in MSI Afterburner. Fan starts at 52°C, fan update periode 7 seconds (7000ms) and hysteresis 7°C. It helps a little bit, but that should be out of the box!

mcmarky
Level 8
Well, there is something strange with some ROG Strix RTX 2080 (TI) cards. Sorry, but I have to say that I returned my Strix 2080 because all three fan motors seem to work louder as usual.

All the internet reviews say that the Turing Strix are the quietest RTX cards when using Q-BIOS. But my card was louder than my old GTX 1080. So I searched a little bit, and I found some persons who have the same problem, that the Strix are not really silent. The most describe the cards very silent as purposed.

Perhaps ASUS can say why some cards dont perform in that silent way as they should be. Or are the tested cards preselected?

JustinThyme
Level 13
You want silent go water cooled. Unfortunately this is about the only way. The words silent and performance don’t mix very well.*

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

mcmarky
Level 8
Dont get me wrong, the fan motors of my card produce gritty and grumpy noise. That's just not normal. Otherwise the reviews of the strix cards would be fake.
My friend uses the Gigabyte RTX 2080 Gaming OC, its fans rotate with 1600 rpm for 70°C GPU temperature. At this card you only hear the noise of the air but no motor noise.

So why in the world is my strix @1200 rpm much louder than my friend's card @ 1600 rpm ? I think the fans of my strix come from a bad batch.

PS: Manufacture date is October 2018.

if you play games with headset, i usually set my twerk to gaming mode which is around 1650mhz with 2080ti oc, it usually covers the noise( the games sounds covers noise made by gpu) also my gpu is sounds better than case fan, view 71 have really loud case fan.

mcmarky wrote:

My friend uses the Gigabyte RTX 2080 Gaming OC, its fans rotate with 1600 rpm for 70°C GPU temperature. At this card you only hear the noise of the air but no motor noise.

I have that Gigabyte card and contrary to what the reviews are saying, it's loud at load, and the fan sound has an annoying whiny characteristic rather than having the more pleasant sound of air whooshing. It's actually the loudest card I've ever owned. Nothing like the MSI 1080 it replaced with the Twin Frozer cooler. I used to have the MSI's fans spinning at 100% or 2000rpm at load and I could barely hear it.

On the other hand, the Gigabyte Geforce RTX 2080 Gaming OC 8G is the coolest running air cooled card I've ever had. Temps stay mostly below 70C.

https://youtu.be/BPkBtjsBJQo

How acceptable is this?

Is this normal sound of the card?

This bzzz sound is it coil whine?

ekt3lion wrote:
https://youtu.be/BPkBtjsBJQo

How acceptable is this?

Is this normal sound of the card?

This bzzz sound is it coil whine?

It's normal ... I have your own card and it makes the same sound ... after a while it has diminished ... I wanted to ask you ... even yours if you start from 0% to 100% if you approach the ear hear a "crrr" for a second due to the acceleration of the fan? I can not figure out if it's a vibration or something ... it does so only if 0% send the fans to 100%. give me an opinion? thank you