cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need help with wifi

smoothnobody
Level 7
i have maximus X hero wifi AC. is the antenna provided by asus to send or receive a signal?
7 REPLIES 7

Ch3vr0n
Level 10
Both, every wifi antenna by every manufacturer for every wifi capable device acts as both a receiver and transmitter. How would you expect the device to confirm to your router it has internet access or to load a webpage if it would only be able to tell the router "hey, i want to access website X" but cant receive data from the router back? 🙂

ok, my next question is how do i make it work? i connected it to the board, installed the driver, and made sure wifi was enabled in the BIOS, but i don't see any wifi signal.

haihane
Level 13
is the wifi symbol or icon showing on the taskbar? action center?
if yes, and you clicked on it, and nothing shows up:

get wifi analyzer on phone, use that app to scan for wireless signals.
if your phone can see it, so should the PC.

i've assembled systems where i've forgotten to install wifi antenna, it still worked, just that the strength detected was very weak.
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

it's picking up signals from neighbors, but it's not creating a signal for me to connect to. have a feeling the guy who posted first is wrong. think this thing is only for receiving a signal.

smoothnobody wrote:
it's picking up signals from neighbors, but it's not creating a signal for me to connect to. have a feeling the guy who posted first is wrong. think this thing is only for receiving a signal.

All WiFi antennas as well as the hardware are transceivers. They both send and receive traffic. Very simple concept. No offense but perhaps you should call geek squad to set up your WiFi. * If you can see any WiFi signals like your neighbors then your PC WiFi is working. If you can’t see your own it’s eithrr a router issue or it’s that way intentionally not broadcasting the ssid. This is how mine is set up. If you don’t know the WiFi ssid you can’t even attempt to connect as you can’t see it.*

The other thing is what router are you trying to connect to? Does it support AC? If it’s an older 2.4GHz you won’t be able to connect.*

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

LOL @ geek squad. i can handle this, was just stumped why i wasn't seeing a signal. turns out there was a button labeled "mobile hotspot" in network connections that needed to be clicked to send a signal. i now see a signal, but my next challenge is the signal is locked and requires a password. the thing is, i'm not using a router nor have i setup a password. so how do i determine what the password is?

EDIT - found it, windows generated it. shout out to CH3VR0N. you were right. first time trying to setup a network connection without a router. i learned something today. cheers!!!

JustinThyme
Level 13
Are you the only device on the network? If not there has to be a router. WiFi access requires log in. Only way around that is a hardwire connection.*
Windows does not generate the passwords for WiFi nor does the router. *It has to be set up. If it worked like you are suggesting anyone could connect to any network they want.*

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein