cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VRoc_hw_key_connector what is it?

zocker
Level 9
My manual says it is for raid ssd´s.
A few weekes ago i purchased an intel optane and i read that my 7820x dont support this on secondary drives.
But can the connector enable this feature for my cpu? Or do i missunderstanding its function?!
i7-13700K
TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS
ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 24GB
Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5 Plus
32GB Corsair Vengeance CMK32GX5M2B5600C36
Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB (System)
Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB (Gaming)
3 REPLIES 3

Ljugtomten
Level 9
VROC (Virtual RAID on CPU) is a HW-key (hardware license) to be able to create a RAID you can boot from (Windows/Linux).

JustinThyme
Level 13
What motherboard?*
The key is a hardware key that physically plugs into your MOBO giving you the ability to use several Raid modes other than raid0 that can be done without a key on eligible X299 MOBOs.
If you bought an intel optane non volitile memory stick it can only be used as a cache for drives that the primary OS is installed on and is useless for anything other than when you have your OS installed on a spinner. In other words just plain useless. By the time you buy the spinner and the optane stick you have pretty much paid for a 500 GB 860 pro SSD. The only improve spinners for snappiness when loading apps etc. as soon as the cache is saturated the performance is actually worse than not having the optane stick.

Intel 900P and 905P drives are also called optane but they are actually drives that can be put into a VROC array as VROC is limited to intel drives only. *

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

zocker
Level 9
Rampage VI Apex
Okay, then its useless to me, thanls @all
i7-13700K
TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS
ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 24GB
Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5 Plus
32GB Corsair Vengeance CMK32GX5M2B5600C36
Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB (System)
Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB (Gaming)