cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Watercooled - MXI-E / 9900K / 1080Ti SLi

rjbarker
Level 11
Finally retired the RIVE and 3930K....it served me well since 2012 (?) ....with only upgrades to GPU's....the bug got the better of me...toned it down a tad this time and went Mainstream vs HEDT......

Was a complete tear down and re-build...most of the WC'ing gear was recycled although went with a EK Supremacy Nickel plated block to match the nickel plated 1080Ti Backplates....
Still tweaking the 9900k...5.1 Ghz has been a bit of a challenge to get stable.....but 5 Ghz was fairly easy ....I did run some benches at 5.1 Ghz and it didnt really seem worth the additional voltage n heat (as usual) to warrant the additional 100 Mhz......

As usual..set it up on my table first prior to go into the 900D with all the water....wound up connecting all my drives..installing W10 and playing around with some OC'ing prior to going in the case (hence the H60 Cooler and the very old 560Ti Card) 🙂

Im actually fairly pleased at the performance...the 9900K running 5 Ghz 16 threads teams up quite well with the 1080Tis...very happy with the Loop..
Full on Gaming for a few hrs (Wildlands or Shadow of Tomb Raider) my CPU dances between 45c - 51c and both GPU's sit at 36c and 37c (1c delta)......even looping Heaven for a solid hour the Max they got to was 38c !!!
I did completely take apart the EK Blocks and clean em out good (always happy when that big O Ring stays seated 😉

Its certainly not as pretty as some of these Hard Tube builds....oits more like a Nascar vs a Formula 1 .....still packs a punch 😉

cheers
8 REPLIES 8

JustinThyme
Level 13
Gotta love the 900D. Even though I retired mine in favor of an enthoo elite (for the interim as I have almost enough hardware for another build just laying around) they are great cases. Biggest thing that killed me was the lack of reservoir mounting options. I wanted to remove the entire drive cage sections in the bottom but I need one to mount the Reservoir to. I dont use spinners in anything but my NAS these days and whats not on the board were mounted to the backside.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

rjbarker
Level 11
Yeah I got this case when I got my RIVE and 3930K.....so its been around awhile...so much room to work.....I bored some holes to mount the Rez / Pump......now im all SSD's (except for the 1 WD Red)...so for sure could probably take all the cages out now and mount the SSD's on the back......
.....was looking at the 1000D ....very nice looking..

.........man is it heavy....I actually pulled a muscle in my shoulder "tilting it every which way" bleeding air out... 🙂

JustinThyme
Level 13
Yes shes got some weight. My silly self had mine in my basement doing the build as its quiet down there, no one bothers me and I can blast music to my hearts content, run heat gun for tube bending without listening to the wifey complain about the plastic smell. All was good until I nearly left my right gonad in my left sock when I packed the finished build up two flights of stairs.

I was torn between the 1000D and the Enthoo elite. The deciding factor was the 420 rad mount in the roof. Reviewers all said you could just get a replacement rail for 2x 480s but to this day there are none available. not even originals. Only a single 480 and a single 360 that just became available recently that I would have gone for.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Yes shes got some weight. My silly self had mine in my basement doing the build as its quiet down there, no one bothers me and I can blast music to my hearts content, run heat gun for tube bending without listening to the wifey complain about the plastic smell. All was good until I nearly left my right gonad in my left sock when I packed the finished build up two flights of stairs.

I was torn between the 1000D and the Enthoo elite. The deciding factor was the 420 rad mount in the roof. Reviewers all said you could just get a replacement rail for 2x 480s but to this day there are none available. not even originals. Only a single 480 and a single 360 that just became available recently that I would have gone for.

Thats funny as I originally built it in my Office....then had to pack it up a flight of stairs as well....grabbed my neighbor to help me.....he just about blew a gasket when he saw what a "PC" can look like (he didnt understand why I would need help moving a computer) !!! 🙂
Thing takes almost 2 Liters to fill ..... got to be pushng 80 lbs ....
Those Enthoo Elites are great looking cases..... btw!!

EKJake
Level 9
Gorgeous work!

rjbarker
Level 11
^^^^^ Thanks Jake....not pretty like the Hard lines but effective cooling and easy to get my big mitts in there to work!!

Max Temps I see on both 1080Ti's w FC EK Blocks and Terminal Block are 38c (with a 1c delta between the 2).....Max temp on 9900K gaming is 52c ...full load stress around 75c ...

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Nice build rjbarker!:cool:...that's how it's done!

rjbarker
Level 11
^^^^^ Thanks Arne.....going to pull the AX 1200 as I picked up a new AX 1600i...so will swap em.....also replacing the Supremacy with a Velocity Block.....next week when I get home from work .....cheers !! .....oh I think the 1080Ti's will see me thur until next gen RTX Cards (they'll be a tad more mature) 😉