cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus X Formula dead

Sverre
Level 9
This is a water cooled PC.

When I try to start the PC nothing happens, as long as the 24-pin is connected to the MB. If the 24-pin is connected to a tester (8-pin still connected to the MB) everything works, including the lights on the MB (the PC obviously doesn’t start, because the 24-pin isn’t connected). The tester shows that all voltages are working (except the one that was phased out, was it 5v stb?).

It was working fine, but I had a problem with USB3 connector (next to the 24-pin) and had to disasemble the whole rig to reconnect it. When I did this I had a water leak, but the fluid I use isn’t conducting, so I have a hard time believing that this is the problem. I have also done a visual check of the MB (everything stripped off) without finding any problems.

Is there any way to do some testing to narrow down the possible error?
Intel core-i7 8700K
Asus ROG Maximus X Formula
2 x Asus Poseidon GTX 1080 ti
64GB Corsair Vengance DDR4 LED
Corsair AX1600i
Samsung EVO 960 250GB (C-drive)*
[/URL]
6 REPLIES 6

rjbarker
Level 11
Liquid leaked onto the Board while it was powered up .....or was it possible still "wet" when you energized?

Set it up out of the case and test....if you got liquid on your Board while it was energized........may be out a Board...but set it up on a table and try it out...just ensure everything is bone dry prior to energizing.....Ive gotten liquid on my board before but I let it dry for a day before I energized it....was fine..

rjbarker wrote:
Liquid leaked onto the Board while it was powered up .....or was it possible still "wet" when you energized?

Set it up out of the case and test....if you got liquid on your Board while it was energized........may be out a Board...but set it up on a table and try it out...just ensure everything is bone dry prior to energizing.....Ive gotten liquid on my board before but I let it dry for a day before I energized it....was fine..

It was not live. I spray 75% alcohol on the board until it starts running, then bathe it in purified water. It happends, now and again, but I’ve never had a board that died from it, not even the one time I had a leak on a live board.

I disconnected everything, but it still won’t start. Will remove it from the case, dismantel it and check it once more.*
[/URL]

JustinThyme
Level 13
Rubbing alcohol doesn’t cut it for electronics, must be 99.9% variety which will evaporate quickly. Then the water bath? I’ve been an electronics engineer for better than 30 years and this is the first I’ve heard of bathing electronics in any type of water be it purified, distilled, deionized or blessed by a shaman. Submersed in mineral oil, yes but water no.*

The non-conductive coolant may be less conductive when you put it in but becomes very conductive later on as it picks up trace metal from the heat sinks and fittings.*

I’ve gotten things wet in the past (not when there was power on it) and simply sprayed it down with 99.9% alcohol electronics cleaner then Left it sit for an hour or so then into a plastic bag with a generous dose of rice or silica dessicant to pull out any possible remaining moisture overnight. The 5V standby is still very much active and always present. Pin 20 on the ATX connector has no connection.*

I’ve had boards cease to function just by having the 24 pin ATX connector pulled with switch bridges to run a leak test. If I could get board schematics I could explain why. Im so paranoid with it now that I have a jig set up that has its own cheap PSU and switch just for leak testing so I don’t have to mess with anything but wiring to the pumps.*

It would be prudent to pull it from the case and test it that way with as little as possible connected. All it takes is a pinched USB cable to bring everything to a halt. *

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Rubbing alcohol doesn’t cut it for electronics, must be 99.9% variety which will evaporate quickly. Then the water bath? I’ve been an electronics engineer for better than 30 years and this is the first I’ve heard of bathing electronics in any type of water be it purified, distilled, deionized or blessed by a shaman. Submersed in mineral oil, yes but water no.*

The non-conductive coolant may be less conductive when you put it in but becomes very conductive later on as it picks up trace metal from the heat sinks and fittings.*

I’ve gotten things wet in the past (not when there was power on it) and simply sprayed it down with 99.9% alcohol electronics cleaner then Left it sit for an hour or so then into a plastic bag with a generous dose of rice or silica dessicant to pull out any possible remaining moisture overnight. The 5V standby is still very much active and always present. Pin 20 on the ATX connector has no connection.*

I’ve had boards cease to function just by having the 24 pin ATX connector pulled with switch bridges to run a leak test. If I could get board schematics I could explain why. Im so paranoid with it now that I have a jig set up that has its own cheap PSU and switch just for leak testing so I don’t have to mess with anything but wiring to the pumps.*

It would be prudent to pull it from the case and test it that way with as little as possible connected. All it takes is a pinched USB cable to bring everything to a halt. *

Where do you buy pure, technical, alcohol? In Norway you can’t get anything above 75%, I don’t even think it’s legal. Bathing isn’t the right word, more like pouring a liter of destilled water. I do it because I don’t trust 75% alcohol to not leave something unwanted behind.
[/URL]

cdcbr3
Level 7
Not an ideal situation, but I spilt Coke-Cola all over my PC one time, I hit the power right away and took everything apart.
I ran the MoBo unter a scalding hot tap for about 5 minutes and then washed it down with Blue Shower contact cleaner.
Let it dry under a hand dryer and then baked it at about 150C in the oven for 30 minutes.

Motherbaord worked fine aftwards for over a year before I upgraded.
Key to this was getting the corrosive solution off the board quickly and then getting rid of the water residue.
I wouldnt recomend this approach unless its your last resort. - for me it was.

Sverre
Level 9
It seems to be working fine now. Dismanteled it, picked it apart, cleaned it with alcohol and destilled water, let it dry over night, blow dryed it, let it rest for another couple of hours, more blowing. Connected everything except the GPU’s and it’s starting (haven’t started the PC as such, just checked that the card starts running. Waiting for a screw for the water block before I put everything together.
[/URL]