cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

9980XE OC advice?

Tonyboj
Level 7
Hi all, for years I've been running a 5960XE at 4.4Ghz and it gave me good performance. I built a new workstation last month and would really like to get a decent overclock going to really feel the upgrade was worth it.

Any tips appreciated!

New rig is an 9980XE with Corsair H150 Pro on Rampage VI Extreme, running at stock with XMP setting on. ~35°C in idle and ~58°C in full load (XTU).

Would numbers and settings from 7980xe be useful?
My previous board was from MSI and required a lot of settings changes to get the overclock to work. Is it the same with Asus?

Happy new year!
4 REPLIES 4

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Overclocking settings and guidelines will be very similar to the 7980xe, the overclocking range will be in close proximity as there are no efficiency changes.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

JustinThyme
Level 13
No efficiency changes? Intel lying again? There claim is due to a matured process the refresh gained 15% efficiency.*

Regardless @OP you can follow the same guidelines with pretty much any chip. These chips should OC about the same as the 79XX did and certainly far better than they did without delidding. Whether or not the refresh performs differently than a delidded 79XX is still subjective, just not enough samples yet.*

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

As I understood before buying the 9980xe, it was just a soldered version of 7980xe. Would therefor spare me going through a delidding process which I lack both courage and money for (in case something went wrong).

Hopefully temperatures will be a little bit more forgiving.

I'll try to find a guide for the 7980xe.

Thanks!

Johnnie
Level 10
Hi Tonyboj,

Did You get good try with OC? If yes, maybe You can please share Your experience?

Best regards,
Johnnie