cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking in buying a M.2 sata 1tb drive

wenrro
Level 7
Happy new year everyone!

I am thinking in purchasing a M.2 SATA drive, but i actually have a NVME drive on the slot M2_1.

The manual states:

So, i can't install the M2 SATA drive on the mobo's back slot, right? I should have to swap the drives, right?

This is a bit of backoff... 😞

Regards and nice holidays!
6 REPLIES 6

JustinThyme
Level 13
You would be correct. Only M.2_1 supports an M.2 SATA *

Any particular reason why an M.2 SATA other than costing a little less? I can’t imagine going from 3500MB/S sequential reads to 500MB/S.*

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
You would be correct. Only M.2_1 supports an M.2 SATA *

Any particular reason why an M.2 SATA other than costing a little less? I can’t imagine going from 3500MB/S sequential reads to 500MB/S.*

thank you, the idea was having the nvme on M2_1 as i have it now, and put the M2 sata on M2_2 for extra storage space (1tb for 130€ is worth in my opinion).

But i don't like the idea of having to swap the 2 drives.

Ch3vr0n
Level 10
Just keep in mind (you didn't say what your MB model is), that depending on the board configuration and model you COULD end up losing a normal sata port if you use m.2 sata.

Ch3vr0n wrote:
Just keep in mind (you didn't say what your MB model is), that depending on the board configuration and model you COULD end up losing a normal sata port if you use m.2 sata.

One must read between the lines, look at the manual screen shot that shows the MOBO.
I’m not aware of any models that am M2 slot shares *SATA ports.*

@ OP moving the drive physically should not effect its properties other than location. You can still boot and it’s still C:\. You want cheap you can go even less than that with a 2.5 inch drive.*

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
One must read between the lines, look at the manual screen shot that shows the MOBO.

I know 2 (and probably can find a lot more). My current Z170 M8F, insert a sata M.2 > SATA6G_5 AND SATA6G_6 get disabled. My upcoming M11F, Insert sata M.2 > SATA6G_5 (or 6, i'd have to check) gets DISABLED.

Ch3vr0n wrote:

it's a strix z370 i-gaming mobo. I'm not thinking in using sata ssds in the future...

JustinThyme wrote:

@ OP moving the drive physically should not effect its properties other than location. You can still boot and it’s still C:\. You want cheap you can go even less than that with a 2.5 inch drive.*

I'm going with a ncase m1, so i rather like using the m2's slots and get rid of sata data and power cables.

For example the same 1 tb ssd version costs the same amount of money as the m2 sata version.

it's not the same removing only the right side panel and installing the m.2 that removing the graphic card, unscrew the m2 heatsink... the ncase is cute and functional, but it is a little bit of a pain to work inside it.

Thanks for your advice and answers!