cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG HERO STRIX II GL504GM Power limit throttling

cedie1994
Level 7
Playing GPU intensive games like Wolfenstein II/ DOOM, i'm experiencing heavy GPU throttling.
Basicly every 30 seconds, the game will randomly spike at 98% GPU usage and throttle from 1900mHZ down to 800mHZ, resulting in a massive framedrop from 100 ish FPS to 30 or so.

Thermal throttling is not taking place, in fact GPU temperatures rarely exceed 70 °c and CPU temps are around 75°C. (Using an aluminium laptopstand that really improves the airflow, (amazon basics, actually i kind of recommend it, if you don't wanna use an actual coolingpad.)

This throttling even happens on the lowest settings, and Wolfenstein II/ DOOM are pretty much unplayable.
MSI after burner also indicates i'm hitting the powerlimit.
This happens very sporadically, regardless of the settings i'm using.
Only my GPU throttles, my CPU remains stable a 3.9gHZ while this occurs.

- Drivers are up to date, even did a reinstall with DDU.
- Undervolt had little to no effect.
- Reinstalled my OS, the issue persisted.

I hope somebody can help 😕
9 REPLIES 9

Vsparda
Level 7
cedie1994 wrote:
Playing GPU intensive games like Wolfenstein II/ DOOM, i'm experiencing heavy GPU throttling.
Basicly every 30 seconds, the game will randomly spike at 98% GPU usage and throttle from 1900mHZ down to 800mHZ, resulting in a massive framedrop from 100 ish FPS to 30 or so.

Thermal throttling is not taking place, in fact GPU temperatures rarely exceed 70 °c and CPU temps are around 75°C. (Using an aluminium laptopstand that really improves the airflow, (amazon basics, actually i kind of recommend it, if you don't wanna use an actual coolingpad.)

This throttling even happens on the lowest settings, and Wolfenstein II/ DOOM are pretty much unplayable.
MSI after burner also indicates i'm hitting the powerlimit.
This happens very sporadically, regardless of the settings i'm using.
Only my GPU throttles, my CPU remains stable a 3.9gHZ while this occurs.

- Drivers are up to date, even did a reinstall with DDU.
- Undervolt had little to no effect.
- Reinstalled my OS, the issue persisted.

I hope somebody can help 😕

update your bios to 307

Vsparda wrote:
update your bios to 307

How? nothing online except 304.

FULLMETALJACKET
Level 11
cedie1994 wrote:
"the game will randomly spike at 98% GPU usage and throttle from 1900mHZ down to 800mHZ"

That's not power limit throttling.

FULLMETALJACKET7 wrote:
That's not power limit throttling.

Then what is it, MSI afterburner indicates it's power limit throttling and i confirmed this with XTU.

But i'll gladly hear your opinion, since saying what's not the issue, isn't very helpful.

cedie1994 wrote:
Then what is it, MSI afterburner indicates it's power limit throttling and i confirmed this with XTU.

But i'll gladly hear your opinion, since saying what's not the issue, isn't very helpful.

Hitting the power limit is normal and it will not cause throttling like you're describing. You just hit a "wall" and the gpu will not clock any higher. It will not drop the clocks to 800mhz, it seems that it's switching P-States, for whatever reason. My GL502VS hits the power limit all the time and it rarely throttles back from 1810mhz. The lowest it will go is 1790mhz at 100% load/74C.
That's how GPU boost on pascal gpu's works. It will clock as high as it can, within power and thermal limits. You can undervolt your GPU to improve both.
Hitting the power limit = OK. Hitting the temp limit = totally NOT ok.

First of all, make sure you have your laptop on a flat and leveled surface before using it. I've seen people complaining about this exact issue reporting that using the laptop on a leveled surface completely solved the issue, for whatever reason.

Anyways, it could probably be something weird going on with the power settings within the BIOS, forcing the GPU into a different P state, maybe a BIOS update could fix that? If that's not the case, maybe the VRM's are overheating. I know the first batch of the gl502vs had this problem with not properly seated heatsinks (even Linus from linustechtips mentioned that on a review), so that's something to consider.

FULLMETALJACKET7 wrote:
Hitting the power limit is normal and it will not cause throttling like you're describing. You just hit a "wall" and the gpu will not clock any higher. It will not drop the clocks to 800mhz, it seems that it's switching P-States, for whatever reason. My GL502VS hits the power limit all the time and it rarely throttles back from 1810mhz. The lowest it will go is 1790mhz at 100% load/74C.
That's how GPU boost on pascal gpu's works. It will clock as high as it can, within power and thermal limits. You can undervolt your GPU to improve both.
Hitting the power limit = OK. Hitting the temp limit = totally NOT ok.

First of all, make sure you have your laptop on a flat and leveled surface before using it. I've seen people complaining about this exact issue reporting that using the laptop on a leveled surface completely solved the issue, for whatever reason.

Anyways, it could probably be something weird going on with the power settings within the BIOS, forcing the GPU into a different P state, maybe a BIOS update could fix that? If that's not the case, maybe the VRM's are overheating. I know the first batch of the gl502vs had this problem with not properly seated heatsinks (even Linus from linustechtips mentioned that on a review), so that's something to consider.

Thanks for the quick reply.
Browsing the forums i've seen people mention that a flat surface could solve some issues regarding these line of laptops, however this does not seem to be the case for me.
Overheating VRM's are a possibility however i haven't seen anyone else run into this problem with the model that i have, and tbh i hope that's not the issue.
Hopefully updating my bios to 307 will solve to issue, but i have been a bit reluctant to do so since i can't find an 'official download' for this yet.

cedie1994 wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply.
Browsing the forums i've seen people mention that a flat surface could solve some issues regarding these line of laptops, however this does not seem to be the case for me.
Overheating VRM's are a possibility however i haven't seen anyone else run into this problem with the model that i have, and tbh i hope that's not the issue.
Hopefully updating my bios to 307 will solve to issue, but i have been a bit reluctant to do so since i can't find an 'official download' for this yet.

well yes my version of bios is 306 and still having fps drops when not playing on flat surfaces but if i try to update to 307 maybe the problem will be solved

I have asus rog gl503ge notebook. I enjoyed playing games on it untill a few months ago when it suddenly had a power charging issue. I went to the service centre and got it fixed. I continued playing games for about another month but i did not notice any problem (i guess there was problem i just ignored), I have gtx 1050 ti gpu and i cant even achieve 20fps on witcher 3 on lowest settings which earlier i had 50fps on high settings. I guess i am having power throttling issues. I have used msi afterburner but it shows a constt 1200mhz. Help me i don't know what to do.