Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    4.8 is rocking, actually surprising seeing how SL cant get one past 4.6
    Can you run RB and post a screenie and CPUZ validate please.
    he didn’t get that. If I’m reading this right he just copied you setting for setting.*

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by jsarver View Post
    Wait you just copy pasted someone else’s settings for a totally different chip? That’s never going to work. You need to start from scratch*
    called starting point 😜

keep getting a kernel_locked_entry_leak_on_thread_termination

Quote Originally Posted by techanalyst View Post
    called starting point 😜

keep getting a kernel_locked_entry_leak_on_thread_termination

your starting point shouldn’t be with a 9940 it should be silicon lotteries 9980 results like we advised. Start at the lowest and work up and see your chip quality and compare to what sl is achieving.*

your starting point shouldn’t be with a 9940 it should be silicon lotteries 9980 results like we advised. Start at the lowest and work up and see your chip quality and compare to what sl is achieving.*
    Realize I've done this before.........starting points my dear lad, somewhere to start from helps as well using others people suggested vcores voltages helps , on the 7980 I started at higher and worked down vs from down to up, worked well.

Anyways, I was able to clock it at 4.5 at 1.225, passing all benches, heat seems to be my biggest enemy right now, considering I have 4 rads, water temp reporting at a nice 18. Guessing my block is to tight

Couple items that might help other, like OP disable the Asus Multi Enhancement but the other item that was causing me issues was the intel Turbo, couldnt figure out what was cusing the kernel locked issue then looked through some logs and here it was, I have it set to lock but for some reason some cores would +1/+2, installed the turbo software and disabled the turbo within windows, seems to have cured the kernel locked BSODs
    Last edited by techanalyst; 01-12-2019 at 04:11 PM.

So another lesson learned, for my 7980 I have AVX at 3 and 5, after installing 9980 even though it still showed 3/5 it wasn’t actually working, set back to optimal set settings and heats come way down now*

Realize I've done this before.........starting points my dear lad
    ya. Me too guy. A few times. Previous experience doesn’t make you immune to quality advice. No one here is above learning. Perfect example is I’m assuming you didn’t reset cmos and load optimize defaults the moment you installed your new chip...

ya. Me too guy. A few times. Previous experience doesn’t make you immune to quality advice. No one here is above learning. Perfect example is I’m assuming you didn’t reset cmos and load optimize defaults the moment you installed your new chip...
    Never have before........and from the looks of it ive spent about 900xs more than yourself doing this so attitudes aside

Never have before........and from the looks of it ive spent about 900xs more than yourself doing this so attitudes aside
    damn curious where you got your investigative info from cause you should recheck it. Never stop learning friend.

damn curious where you got your investigative info from cause you should recheck it. Never stop learning friend.
    Totally agree with that statement I have water, phase change, chilled water and LN2 gear, in the 5XXX EE cpus it was a little more touch and go I found getting those OC'd but after 12 7980 still I found the one I have sitting on my desk now, I found starting at what the generic average people are reporting and working down worked best with the skylake, the broadwells yeah bottom to top, since skylake set the highest safe :P must faster than going down to up. Personal method.

Settled on 1.1v (manual not adaptive) for a 4.4, all benchs are passing. Still slower than my old 7980 but I notice in my sandra tests its beating out my old scores on single core. The windows turbo boost was the culprit of those bsods though, the 90% and boost to 4.5 was kicking in and of course all cores are "locked". Disabled all of that and hasnt happened since.

I believe there's additional tweaking for options that will allow me to accomplish more (a 24/7 setup)

Banned Array JustinThyme PC Specs
    JustinThyme PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G752VY-DH72
    MotherboardRampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorI9 9940X
    Memory (part number)64GB DDR4 8x8 Corsair Dominator Platinum 3800 MHz @ C17
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1GHz
    Graphics Card #2ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1Ghz
    Graphics Card #3ROG Nvlink
    Graphics Card #4Have to feed animals
    Sound CardExternal Audioengine D1 24 bit 192kbps DAC
    MonitorASUS PG348Q @ 100Hz
    Storage #1Intel 905P 480GB U2 flavor
    Storage #2Samsung 850 EVO 1TB X2 in RAID 0, 960 PRO 1TB DIMM.2_1
    CPU CoolerHeatKiller IV PRO and VRM blocks ,Dual D5 PWM serial, 2X 480, 1X 360 RADS
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite 8X LL120 PWM, 3X LL140 PWM, 12 SP120 PWM 1x AF140 PWM
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1500i
    Keyboard ASUS Claymore
    Mouse ASUS Spatha, Logitech MX Master
    Headset Sennheiser HD 700
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Sheath
    Headset/Speakers Audioengine A5+ with SVS SB-1000 Sub
    OS Win10 Pro 1809
    Network RouterNetGear NightHawk X10
    Accessory #1 NetGear Prosafe 10GBe Switch
    Accessory #2 Qnap TVS-682 NAS modded with I7 CPU

Totally agree with that statement I have water, phase change, chilled water and LN2 gear, in the 5XXX EE cpus it was a little more touch and go I found getting those OC'd but after 12 7980 still I found the one I have sitting on my desk now, I found starting at what the generic average people are reporting and working down worked best with the skylake, the broadwells yeah bottom to top, since skylake set the highest safe :P must faster than going down to up. Personal method.

Settled on 1.1v (manual not adaptive) for a 4.4, all benchs are passing. Still slower than my old 7980 but I notice in my sandra tests its beating out my old scores on single core. The windows turbo boost was the culprit of those bsods though, the 90% and boost to 4.5 was kicking in and of course all cores are "locked". Disabled all of that and hasnt happened since.

I believe there's additional tweaking for options that will allow me to accomplish more (a 24/7 setup)
    Check out the 1603 BIOS thread. I replaced the stock 1603 with the microcode 49 modded one on page 7 or so of that thread. Everything after should be good to as IRST updates were made to get the optane accelerator to work but I dont use one, dont have any spinners in my machine.

download link
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1W7A...XzJg_Shks/view

All credit for this to @tistou77

I havent tried to run up any clocks as Im happy with 4.8GHz all cores on 9940X but noted my core temps dropped about 3C idle and 5C on hottest core loaded.

I dont think its turbo boost thats killing you as much as it is the silicon lottery. Cooler cores by a few degrees may help. My other suggestion would be to use per core OC to get the most out of what you have. The preferred cores noted with an * can go 4.5 then run up the others one at a time to see where it lands. Very time consuming but it will maximize and squeeze out every 100Hz increment from every core.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast