cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel Optane 905p Raid PCI x4

techanalyst
Level 7
Before I pull the trigger on the purchase on a pair of 960GB 905p PCIE drives I wanna make sure this will work, I want to buy a pair and raid them, my understanding is that they're intel, no vroc key needed and theyll be the PCI

I have two 2080 RTX tis, so theyll still operate at 16x each, then two of these 8x

Raid 0 and bootable, yes or now?

Anyone else do this and if so was the performance through the roof or?
15 REPLIES 15

G75rog
Level 10
Which motherboard & CPU?

JustinThyme
Level 13
Need more info.
I have 2 x 280 GB 900P drives VROC raid 0. Rig in specs. Thats as far as I was willing to go. Had the the current 380GB M2 905P drives been around when I built this rig I would have put two of them on a HyperX 16 card at X8. Not giving up my SLI for it.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Need more info.
I have 2 x 280 GB 900P drives VROC raid 0. Rig in specs. Thats as far as I was willing to go. Had the the current 380GB M2 905P drives been around when I built this rig I would have put two of them on a HyperX 16 card at X8. Not giving up my SLI for it.

Ordered two of the intel 905P AIC cards and a new 9980xe to replace my 7980xe and Samsung drives

I have the lanes (16x x 2 and 8x)

My understanding is I won't need a vroc key as they're intel octanes, I know in my dual 8180 workstation I had to buy a vroc key though but those were none intel SSDs.

Mobo = the rampage, what else :)*

JustinThyme
Level 13
They will do raid zero without a key. They wont run non intel drives in VROC period regardless of what you do. 8180 Xeon boards can run non intel drives with a key that is crazy stupid $$, I bought a key in the beginning, matter of fact got several before they found out there was a market and now gouging. I got mine for $8.99 each, cheapest now is $126. If you ever decide you want more than raid 0 the key is VROCISSDMOD j55733-100 MM#956822, also info that was being withheld.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
They will do raid zero without a key. They wont run non intel drives in VROC period regardless of what you do. 8180 Xeon boards can run non intel drives with a key that is crazy stupid $$, I bought a key in the beginning, matter of fact got several before they found out there was a market and now gouging. I got mine for $8.99 each, cheapest now is $126. If you ever decide you want more than raid 0 the key is VROCISSDMOD j55733-100 MM#956822, also info that was being withheld.

excellent

Still lose the Q1D performance benefit though right?

Also it’ll be bootable raid 0?*

JustinThyme
Level 13
Its reduced due to the latency of raid but still WELL above anything that anyone else can touch. Im getting 5400MB/S sequential and 200MB/S on low que depth 4K where its 280MB/S as a single drive compared to Samsungs 50MB/S for a 960 or 970 Pro.

With larger drives you should be able to get better.

Yes its bootable. My VROC array is my c:\
Takes some trickery with drivers though. You are going to need iaVROC and iaStorE at the F6 prompt at install. One has to be loaded before the other but I cant recall which. you can get the F6 drivers from winraid or if you have a place I can upload or email them PM me.

If you search this area "VROC" Theres a lot to read where several of us went through it at product launch right before the Optane drives were released. We tried everything under the sun to get non intel drives to work, not happening then there was no key to be had listed anywhere and there still isnt which is why I listed it. I got very loud with ASUS over the key as they were going back and for with intel. Im sitting on a few extras now.

JustinThyme wrote:
Its reduced due to the latency of raid but still WELL above anything that anyone else can touch. Im getting 5400MB/S sequential and 200MB/S on low que depth 4K where its 280MB/S as a single drive compared to Samsungs 50MB/S for a 960 or 970 Pro.

With larger drives you should be able to get better.

Yes its bootable. My VROC array is my c:\
Takes some trickery with drivers though. You are going to need iaVROC and iaStorE at the F6 prompt at install. One has to be loaded before the other but I cant recall which. you can get the F6 drivers from winraid or if you have a place I can upload or email them PM me.

If you search this area "VROC" Theres a lot to read where several of us went through it at product launch right before the Optane drives were released. We tried everything under the sun to get non intel drives to work, not happening then there was no key to be had listed anywhere and there still isnt which is why I listed it. I got very loud with ASUS over the key as they were going back and for with intel. Im sitting on a few extras now.

Do you still have to go back to BIOS 803 to get it to work? I tried it the other day and couldn't get the f6 drivers working until I went back to 803. Worked like a charm and then updated BIOS after the RAID was set.
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD

Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram

Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop

Well its working fine but for some reason GPU #2 is in 8x mode, trying to figure out why

Two GPUs in 16x is 32 and 2x4x is 8 for 40.....

the vroc only allowed the second and last x8 lanes to be added into the raid, if I use the 8_4x1 it never showed up as a selected raid drive

Ideas?

techanalyst
Level 7
I went through this with my dual 8180, it took me time, I bought a hardware key as I could create vroc arrays but none were bootable (enterprise board), added key no issues and yes the F6 already knew 🙂 those were non optane, as I said, dell didnt offer them and still doesnt, I considered adding them but there's no essential value on that system to have optane.

I had to wait 48 hours to buy a second optane drive (limit 1 per customer every 48 hours.......), so when I was going to order it I wanted to make sure if I had to add the VROC key or not

I get by with a since 960 Pro 2TB on my system now, I have central san/nas storage in the house and separate servers (two servers with dual 8180s), so I have no need for lots of storage on the main machine (also 10Gbit through the entire house and i mount iscsi and network mounts frequently). Was going to buy a second 960 then I was reading about the new optane and other new tech and just waited for the new 9980xe to come out before i went through all the bother 🙂