cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PG278QR color banding issue

King_Mustard
Level 7
I bought this monitor last week and I've noticed awful color banding.

I've attached two photos taken with my phone (hard to capture on such a device but I tried).

Any ideas how I can fix this?
6 REPLIES 6

Dredj
Level 7
As far as I understanding that's not colour banding but posterization, the only 'fix' I know is to set output dynamic range to Limited in nvidia control panel which unfortunately has the side effect of dampening colour output. It's the lesser of two evils.

Dredj wrote:
As far as I understanding that's not colour banding but posterization, the only 'fix' I know is to set output dynamic range to Limited in nvidia control panel which unfortunately has the side effect of dampening colour output. It's the lesser of two evils.

A little more info.: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1017545-asus-rog-swift-pg278qr-color-banding-issue/

Like the guy said check the dynamic output, if it's Full set it to limited and it should get rid of it.

I have the same monitor and have the same issue if set to Full.

Dredj wrote:
Like the guy said check the dynamic output, if it's Full set it to limited and it should get rid of it.

I have the same monitor and have the same issue if set to Full.

But then things look instantly rubbish on the display. Everything goes dull and 'washed out', for one.

Yes I know, I had to make that decision to live with it on Limited because the alternative is to send it back and risk the IPS lottery and pay even more money. Acer, Asus and Dell all use the same AU Optronics panel for their 1440p 144Hz monitors so you can't exactly try another brand.

If having real GSYNC is no big deal then maybe try Gigabytes AD27QD. It's 1440p 144Hz IPS with HDR. it's FreeSync but nvidia support it now. It's also brand new only being released last week and most places have it for £535.

Dredj wrote:
Yes I know, I had to make that decision to live with it on Limited because the alternative is to send it back and risk the IPS lottery and pay even more money. Acer, Asus and Dell all use the same AU Optronics panel for their 1440p 144Hz monitors so you can't exactly try another brand.

If having real GSYNC is no big deal then maybe try Gigabytes AD27QD. It's 1440p 144Hz IPS with HDR. it's FreeSync but nvidia support it now. It's also brand new only being released last week and most places have it for £535.

That's the one I'm getting! 🙂

I believe it's released on January 31 in the UK.