cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL703GS SCAR makes a plastic snapping sound on every session, should I be worried?

Ejaz67
Level 7
Hi guys,

I have noticed that my GL703GS makes a sound that I can bestly describe as "plastic pop" on every session, usually 20 min to 1 hour after I start playing.
It only happens once per gaming session and my best bet it has something to do with thermal expansion due to GPU or CPU usage, since it usually goes off when Im playing games or just stopped playing and the GPU is cooling down.

It really doesn't bother me that much (since everything seem to work fine), but I was wondering could this be a sign of a future failure on some component?
3 REPLIES 3

davemon50
Level 11
Sounds like thermal expansion to me too. Frankly it would worry me. I'd take the back cover off and see if anythink looks amiss, or loosely screwed down, or missing a screw even.
Davemon50

Ejaz67
Level 7
I might have just cracked the case:

The sound might be coming from the plastic frame around my screen. Since the air vents are directly below the screen, it blows heat upwards to the plastic frame which is a likely candidate to make the snapping sound when the airflow stops (after playing) and the plastic cools down.
I tested that the lower part of the frame / screen was warm after playing and that I can make a similar snapping sound by slightly pressing on the frame.

I am not 100% on this, but It might be a possible explanation. I might also check the screws at some point too, thanks for the tip davemon50.

FULLMETALJACKET
Level 11
Don't worry about it, unless it's annoying you. It's just the plastic expanding with the heat.