Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rog rampage vi extreme omega

csbin
Level 7
360 REPLIES 360

Abaidor
Level 9
While I don't see the reason to upgrade as an existing Rampage VI Extreme owner what worries me is that I see a trend toward "cheaper" in ROG products.....

This does not look as premium as the previous model unless it is indeed a more cost effective version. The armor is less complicated, has less lighting the PCI-E slots are also less (I know they were not all 16X) while all the indium plating and fancy effects are gone.

The original was really something else, this one is.......well meh.....
Asus Rampage VI Extreme | i9-7940X | 64GB Trident Z RGB 3600 | Asus Strix 1080Ti OC | Samsung 960 Pro 512GB | WD Gold 10TB | WD Red 4TB X 2 | PSU Corsair AX1500i | Custom Water Loop - RAD MO-RA3 420 Pro | EK Monoblock | Phanteks GPU Block | Heatkiller 200 Tube RES | EK Dual D5 Revo Pumps | 9 X Corsair ML 140 Pro Fans on RAD | | Bitspower Fittings Black Chrome | Cooler Master Cosmos 2 Modded Case | Silent WIngs 3 120mm Intake |

Abaidor wrote:
While I don't see the reason to upgrade as an existing Rampage VI Extreme owner what worries me is that I see a trend toward "cheaper" in ROG products.....

This does not look as premium as the previous model unless it is indeed a more cost effective version. The armor is less complicated, has less lighting the PCI-E slots are also less (I know they were not all 16X) while all the indium plating and fancy effects are gone.

The original was really something else, this one is.......well meh.....

Well that really depends on what you are looking for. One could argue the design is less flashy and more functional.

The premium is under the hood with the extra capacitors and heat dissipation. The cover over the M.2 drives was replaced with a metal one with heat pads over the M.2 drives. That is definitely an improvement over the plastic shrouding which could inhibit heat dissipation.

I also get a couple extra USB slots on the back (sorely needed) and I can do some interesting things with M.2 drive slots when the prices come down a bit more and capacity increases. In this case they included the bracket with heat sinks. I only recall seeing a basic bracket with the original.

Personally, I have a case with LED lighting and a CPU cooler with lighting. So the loss of some lighting is not a huge deal. Also, I only bought this refresh cause i killed my rampage socket when upgrading to a 9th gen CPU (an unfortunate thermal pate on the pins incident).

Do I regret upgrading to this board? A bit. But a lot of that has to do with what happened to my old board which was rock stable out of the box. This one has some issues which still need to be ironed out.

thr23
Level 9
yeah with a name like that you'd expect an upgrade, but it's just a budget version of R6E.

Abaidor
Level 9
LiveOrDie wrote:
The only upgrade is that VRM cooling which seems to have a small fan in it and 2 pin more worth of power.

Still....I prefer the separate VRM water block rather than a tiny FAN that will dust up and start making cringing noises down the line......

They produce the Maximus XI formula with mediocre-to-bad VRMs and an integrated waterblock and then they go with a lousy tiny fan on a flagship high power VRM...go figure...
Asus Rampage VI Extreme | i9-7940X | 64GB Trident Z RGB 3600 | Asus Strix 1080Ti OC | Samsung 960 Pro 512GB | WD Gold 10TB | WD Red 4TB X 2 | PSU Corsair AX1500i | Custom Water Loop - RAD MO-RA3 420 Pro | EK Monoblock | Phanteks GPU Block | Heatkiller 200 Tube RES | EK Dual D5 Revo Pumps | 9 X Corsair ML 140 Pro Fans on RAD | | Bitspower Fittings Black Chrome | Cooler Master Cosmos 2 Modded Case | Silent WIngs 3 120mm Intake |

RichKnecht
Level 7
I've been waiting for this board, but this is a little disappointing. The new Deluxe II has a 12 stage VRM unless I read it wrong. As for looks, I like this a little better than the Extreme as I really didn't care for all those lights. I may just go for the Deluxe II now as I don't see the point in spending what may be more money on this board. Plus, I also read that the Deluxe II has 3 16X PCIe slots.

Abaidor
Level 9
It's not the lights - it's a "cheaper" cover, easier to manufacture in order to cut costs...like it or not the original requires more to be made and it shows....This looks like the cheaper Strix Boards IMHO....

The PCI-E layout is also not good for triple slot cards.....

G75rog
Level 10
Dominus oh Dominus, where art thou Dominus?

Still waiting for the 68 lane W-3175X to make it's appearance also.

G75rog wrote:
Dominus oh Dominus, where art thou Dominus?

Still waiting for the 68 lane W-3175X to make it's appearance also.

That chips MSRP is more than my entire rig, well almost.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
That chips MSRP is more than my entire rig, well almost.

Yep. I have 13TB ($7K) of NVME in the Apex to go in it so the chip is a fraction of the total cost.

Just think, you could run 4 2080TI's all at 16x in it!