Page 15 of 35 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Abaidor View Post
    While I don't see the reason to upgrade as an existing Rampage VI Extreme owner what worries me is that I see a trend toward "cheaper" in ROG products.....

This does not look as premium as the previous model unless it is indeed a more cost effective version. The armor is less complicated, has less lighting the PCI-E slots are also less (I know they were not all 16X) while all the indium plating and fancy effects are gone.

The original was really something else, this one is.......well meh.....

Well that really depends on what you are looking for. One could argue the design is less flashy and more functional.

The premium is under the hood with the extra capacitors and heat dissipation. The cover over the M.2 drives was replaced with a metal one with heat pads over the M.2 drives. That is definitely an improvement over the plastic shrouding which could inhibit heat dissipation.

I also get a couple extra USB slots on the back (sorely needed) and I can do some interesting things with M.2 drive slots when the prices come down a bit more and capacity increases. In this case they included the bracket with heat sinks. I only recall seeing a basic bracket with the original.

Personally, I have a case with LED lighting and a CPU cooler with lighting. So the loss of some lighting is not a huge deal. Also, I only bought this refresh cause i killed my rampage socket when upgrading to a 9th gen CPU (an unfortunate thermal pate on the pins incident).

Do I regret upgrading to this board? A bit. But a lot of that has to do with what happened to my old board which was rock stable out of the box. This one has some issues which still need to be ironed out.

ROG Member Array

Is it just me or does there seem to be something fundamentally wrong with the latest BIOS for the board? Apart from the little auto renaming batch file from the previous BIOS listed when I flashed the BIOS I just had complete instability issues on the hardware level. The POST would stop at random points in the power on process with different error codes. This was flashing it from the back using the BIOS flashback button. Trying the update from the BIOS just led to an infinite BIOS update "freeze".

The old BIOS works fine. But the point of flashing it was that the whole system would POST and lock up when trying to load Windows from a USB stick plugged into the back. (The latest build of Windows from their installer, BTW).

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Ohpus View Post
    Is it just me or does there seem to be something fundamentally wrong with the latest BIOS for the board? Apart from the little auto renaming batch file from the previous BIOS listed when I flashed the BIOS I just had complete instability issues on the hardware level. The POST would stop at random points in the power on process with different error codes. This was flashing it from the back using the BIOS flashback button. Trying the update from the BIOS just led to an infinite BIOS update "freeze".

The old BIOS works fine. But the point of flashing it was that the whole system would POST and lock up when trying to load Windows from a USB stick plugged into the back. (The latest build of Windows from their installer, BTW).
    Regarding the BIOS issue, it’s pretty shocking that ASUS would release a BIOS update without checking it first to see if it works on the Omega via EZ-Update or Flashback. v0402 has a VBIOS OROM in it. There is no ONBOARD VGA on this motherboard and there's definitely no IGPU on the Intel Core i9 Socket 2066 Skylake-X Processors !!!

When updating to v0402 it's not working. Each time the BIOS is flashed it restarts and after POST directly goes to "BIOS is updating. Do not shut down or...". I waited for well over 3 hours and still the system just freezes with a CODE 70 - Updating EC1 Code on the internal LED screen.

v0218 is the only working BIOS currently for this Motherboard. Don't even bother trying to update to v0402!

ASUS, what is going on with your BIOS releases ????
    Last edited by Necjam43; 02-11-2019 at 03:30 PM.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Necjam43 View Post
    v0218 is the only working BIOS currently for this Motherboard. Don't even bother trying to update to v0402!

ASUS, what is going on with your BIOS releases ????

Were you able to at least get Windows installed through an USB key plugged into the back port? My board freezes at that point. So I am thinking a BIOS update or driver issue?

Beginning to sense that I bought this board too early and should have just replaced it with the Extreme board on clearance, as was the original plan.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Necjam43 View Post
    Thank you for contacting ASUS Support!

About your case, I would like to inform you that your RAM it's not in the QVL list for yout motherboard:

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/m...871.1526557214

So we cannot gurantee that this RAM will work in any combinations.

As for the BIOS update, you can try just reseting the CMOS battery, adn to try again.
    Our techinicians will look into this case, and will come with a resolution.

If you have any further questions, feel free to contact us again.

Have a lovely day!
    Kind regards,
    Asus Customer Service
    Asus Technical Support Site: http://support.asus.com

No idea which sticks you are using. Mine are G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) PC4 28800).

One would expect, however, that if they were rock stable on the Extreme board that they would also work fine on the Omega.

As for the BIOS, yeah, spent the day trying and trying and trying. I know how long BIOS updates take and when to pull the plug. Anything more than 5 minutes (in an extreme case) is likely a fail.

ROG Enthusiast Array

I haven't tried reflashing bios 1 back to 0218 and am still running on bios 2 as #1 got screwed up trying to flash 0402 to the chip. I have 0218 on a flash drive, it's renamed, and I will try flashing it to bios 1 to see what happens. Fingers crossed that it works.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by RichKnecht View Post
    I haven't tried reflashing bios 1 back to 0218 and am still running on bios 2 as #1 got screwed up trying to flash 0402 to the chip. I have 0218 on a flash drive, it's renamed, and I will try flashing it to bios 1 to see what happens. Fingers crossed that it works.
    Saturday was a frustration induced haze, but I recall trying flashing the first chip repeatedly several ways with the first BIOS. I *think* I had to try flashing it back a couple time with the button on the back of the chassis before it took. Though I seem to recall it flashing back the first time. I guess i am just saying try it a couple times to be sure and you can fall back to the crash-free-BIOS on the utilities drive...

... I assume. Never had to use it and never had this kind of issue with a ROG board. Regular Asus boards, sure. But all my older ROG boards are still running problem free, even the ones no longer in service due to time.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    Yeah I was one that got mine from Wally World online a bit under the going rate for $560.

The Newegg price is a bit lower than others, by $100. Guess the Egg is not subject to tariffs. They just run out of stock quickly and some of the high prices are the usual price gouging practices when products are launched and in limited supply. Sometimes the supply is limited by a demand well past the supply, others its the manufacturer starving the market intentionally. Im thinking the latter has a huge part......tried buying the R6E lately? They are now non existent not because they are bad boards with no one buying them but because that option is being intentionally removed from the field of competition to force this one.
    Well I purchsed my first Extreme at full retail in Canada, which was around $900 CAD. The replacement board on clerance was around $800. It made sense at the time to cancel that order and get the Omega for an extra $100 since i was upgrading to a 9th gen chip. Exchange is a pain when it's priced in US dollars.

ROG Member Array

Were you able to at least get Windows installed through an USB key plugged into the back port? My board freezes at that point. So I am thinking a BIOS update or driver issue?

Beginning to sense that I bought this board too early and should have just replaced it with the Extreme board on clearance, as was the original plan.
    Hi,

Yes, i was able to boot from a bootable USB stick plugged into one of the USB 3.0 ports at the rear (Windows 10 Pro RS5 build) however to complete a successful installation, I had to disable all the onboard Network controllers as it would not install Windows 10 Pro RS5 as I was getting BUGCODE_NDIS_DRIVER Blue Screen Of Death.

Once the Windows installation completed and Windows 10 Pro booted from the RAID 0 SSD Volume (on SATA 1 & 2 ports) I installed all the device drivers and rebooted back into the BIOS to re-enable the Network controllers. Windows booted and under Device Manager all devices are seen.

Update : getting BSOD's on the SSD SATAIII volume as well now i.e. WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR - M.2 NVMe drives are not stable either.

I had no choice in the matter as my two previous ROG Rampage Extreme VI motherboards were RMA'd and they both FAILED under Testing. When i purchased the 3rd, i was informed by the Retailer that the Extreme VI was no longer available i.e. EOL so they shipped me an Extreme Omega!
    Last edited by Necjam43; 02-12-2019 at 07:59 AM.

ROG Member Array

No idea which sticks you are using. Mine are G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) PC4 28800).

One would expect, however, that if they were rock stable on the Extreme board that they would also work fine on the Omega.

As for the BIOS, yeah, spent the day trying and trying and trying. I know how long BIOS updates take and when to pull the plug. Anything more than 5 minutes (in an extreme case) is likely a fail.
    Hi,

The memory sticks I am using are the Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX Black, PC4-33600 (4200), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 19-25-25-45, XMP 2.0, 1.45V - CMK64GX4M8X4200C19 - 64GB (8x8GB).

XMP is enabled in the BIOS and speed is set at 4200Mhz and Voltage at 1.45v. no Memory issues on Boot-up - AIDA64 stress tested and no faults found.

YES, one would expect that the ROG Rampage Extreme VI + it's offspring, the Extreme Omega would have no issues running these DIMMs seeing it is ASUS's Flagship Motherboard !!!

ASUS Engineers need to check and test their BIOS updates first before releasing them to the public i.e. paying Customers! Absolutely a hash job - I take pride in my work, so should ASUS Engineering...

Page 15 of 35 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast