Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    Administrator Array Silent Scone@ASUS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    The only perceived benifit I can see is the additional 8 pin block over the previous 4 pin.
    The power solution has been upgraded so that it can handle a sustained 500W+ load, which the original R6E board can't, even with active cooling. The VRM costs twice as much, but better deals with transients (at least 30mV less sag under fast transients).

As for the VRM heatsink they should have made it like the older formula where its set up for liquid instead of a 10K rpm baby fan thats gonna get gunked up and die in less than a year unless you get tired of hearing the tiny fan screaming like a banshee!
    The VRM fan curves can be controlled. By default, they don’t switch on until 60C, so they’re not constantly active. You can adjust the curve as you see fit, and if the chassis has reasonable airflow, you won’t even need them.

Big problem is reduction of PCIE slots. One cannot run 2X GPUs in SLI and 2X PCIE SSDs. I see no VROC key slot either.
    Have a look at the manual, which is available online.

Two cards can be used with two drives. Disclaimers are added when there are conditions. As you can see there is a disclaimer for U.2, but not M.2. There is also a VROC key slot.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	asus1.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	159.7 KB 
ID:	78104

Name:	asus2.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	177.0 KB 
ID:	78105

Name:	asus 3.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	170.6 KB 
ID:	78106

Name:	asus 4.png 
Views:	4 
Size:	125.5 KB 
ID:	78107

If I was to change up boards Id be going for the WS Sage 10G instead. Im betting this wont even come in at a lower price point. Yes covers are cheaper and most of the bling is gone
    The aluminium cover costs $10 more than the last iteration. To buffer that cost, decision was made to remove the AD standard, which will never be widely adopted. The AX standard seems to be the next milestone. We already have two AX routers on the market, with a third on its way. As soon as client controllers are available, we’ll implement onto future boards. It's always a game of compromise. We went with a more rugged engineering approach this time. Hence the alu cover. It helps dissipate heat from drives. Not that the last iteration was bad, it's just this is better. They will both be sold. So no harm done. If rugged engineering is not you, pick something else. There are lots to choose from.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Scone@ASUS View Post
    The power solution has been upgraded so that it can handle a sustained 500W+ load, which the original R6E board can't, even with active cooling. The VRM costs twice as much, but better deals with transients (at least 30mV less sag under fast transients).

The VRM fan curves can be controlled. By default, they don’t switch on until 60C, so they’re not constantly active. You can adjust the curve as you see fit, and if the chassis has reasonable airflow, you won’t even need them.

Have a look at the manual, which is available online.

Two cards can be used with two drives. Disclaimers are added when there are conditions. As you can see there is a disclaimer for U.2, but not M.2. There is also a VROC key slot.

Name:	asus1.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	159.7 KB 
ID:	78104

Name:	asus2.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	177.0 KB 
ID:	78105

Name:	asus 3.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	170.6 KB 
ID:	78106

Name:	asus 4.png 
Views:	4 
Size:	125.5 KB 
ID:	78107

The aluminium cover costs $10 more than the last iteration. To buffer that cost, decision was made to remove the AD standard, which will never be widely adopted. The AX standard seems to be the next milestone. We already have two AX routers on the market, with a third on its way. As soon as client controllers are available, we’ll implement onto future boards. It's always a game of compromise. We went with a more rugged engineering approach this time. Hence the alu cover. It helps dissipate heat from drives. Not that the last iteration was bad, it's just this is better. They will both be sold. So no harm done. If rugged engineering is not you, pick something else. There are lots to choose from.
    Thanks for all the info. I have no doubt this board will be a capable performer like the previous versions. It's a great idea to have both the Extreme and Omega for sale simultaneously as I prefer the look of the Omega. Only time will tell. Looking forward to the reviews, but I'll be first in line for this board when they become available.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Seems like this thread has become a bashing zone for Asus. Kind of sucks for us users looking for a new board for their X299 rigs that has a capable power delivery system, capable VRM cooling, and what should be great overclocking potential. If you don't like the looks, OK I get it. You already own an Extreme, so there is no need for you to upgrade....great. If the board doesn't offer the features you want/need, buy something else. I, for one, will be buying this board and I'll probably not be alone. Just like the Intel refresh of X299, some like it and some don't. I know I will not be trading my delidded chip for a soldered chip. Same goes for this refresh. Some will make the switch, some won't.

I have a feeling the direction of this thread will change once the boards start rolling out to consumers and reviewers. Until that moment comes around, I'll just wait impatiently for these to hit the shelves.

Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar

We can clean it up once you get your board, Rich. Or start another.

ROG Enthusiast Array Franziska PC Specs
    Franziska PC Specs
    MotherboardRampage V Extreme
    Processor5930K
    Memory (part number)Corsair DP DDR4 2800 16GB (4x4)
    Graphics Card #1GTX 980
    Sound CardFostex HP-A3 (USB)
    MonitorNEC PA272W
    Storage #1Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
    Storage #2Seagate Constellation ES.3 4TB (2x RAID0)
    CPU CoolerAquacomputer Kryus Cuplex (Custom WC Loop)
    CaseCorsair 750D
    Power SupplySeasonic Platinum 1000W
    Keyboard Ducky Shine 3 TKL
    Mouse Mionix Avior 7000
    OS Windows 8.1 Pro x64

I own the original R6E and I much prefer the looks of the Omega. Money spent where needed instead of all the mumbo jumbo the first board had is much appreciated.

When will it become available? Please be more specific than "Q1". Another website says this month but I couldn't find any other sources for that.

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array Hopper64 PC Specs
    Hopper64 PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus R6EO Bios 0602
    Processori9 9900X @ 4.9 1.28V VCore
    Memory (part number)GSkill F4-3600C16Q2-64GTZR
    Graphics Card #1EVGA 2080 Ti Kingpin
    Sound CardCreative SBZ
    MonitorAsus ROG PG348Q
    Storage #1Intel 905p M.2 360G
    CPU CoolerEKWB Phoenix 360
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1600i
    Keyboard Asus Strix Flare
    Mouse Asus ROG Gladius II Origin
    OS Windows 10 64

Quote Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
    I own the original R6E and I much prefer the looks of the Omega. Money spent where needed instead of all the mumbo jumbo the first board had is much appreciated.

When will it become available? Please be more specific than "Q1". Another website says this month but I couldn't find any other sources for that.
    Just preordered one 2 days ago at Newegg, but I just checked and it has auto notify at this point.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-187-_-Product

ROG Member Array

How come no thunderbolt port was added to the omega?

ROG Enthusiast Array

what kind of tempertures do you expect to see with this omega VRM design versus an extreme VI with a monoblock? Do you think the monoblock would give you lower temps, or this solution? Based on the way it looks, I dont thin a monoblock can be made for the omega

Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dandan112988 View Post
    what kind of tempertures do you expect to see with this omega VRM design versus an extreme VI with a monoblock? Do you think the monoblock would give you lower temps, or this solution? Based on the way it looks, I dont thin a monoblock can be made for the omega

The Vi Omega has twice the number of power stages, the components are spread over a wider area, and there is more copper in the power plane (which can also help reduce CPU core temps during sustained loads), so comparative temps are not easy to predict.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array cekeu PC Specs
    cekeu PC Specs
    MotherboardROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME
    ProcessorIntel® Core™ i9-7900X
    Memory (part number)GSKILL DDR4 32GB (4*8) F4-3200C14Q-32GTZSW
    Graphics Card #1Zotac RTX 2080 Ti AMP Extreme Core
    MonitorASUS ROG SWIFT PG27UQ
    Storage #1SAMSUNG SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 1TB
    Storage #2BARRACUDA PRO (8TB) ST8000DM005
    CPU CoolerCORSAIR Hydro Series™ H150i PRO RGB 360mm
    CaseLian Li PC 011 WXC
    Power SupplySeasonic Prime Platinum SSR-1300PD
    Keyboard Corsair Gaming K70 RGB
    Mouse Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB
    Headset/Speakers Edifier Studio® R1800TIII
    OS Windows 10 Pro

the spacing pci express lines is suitable for rtx cards 2.7 to 3 inches thick. If the next graphics cards are in 7 nm and again thick on 2 slots then this board will look weird

ROG Dominus Extreme may be a better evolution of the Rampage VI Extreme. But only if we jump to the processors LGA 3647 socket for Intel Xeon® W-3175X processor
    https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-Dominus-Extreme/

The support of the ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME OMEGA can be used (by sorting) to update some discontinued drivers and utilities on the R6E support. As always Asus support does not insure.
    Last edited by cekeu; 01-11-2019 at 11:59 AM.

Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast