cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix X370-F WOL not working with fastboot

JanB97
Level 7
Hi,
i wanted to use wake on lan ever since I got this motherboard.
At the beginning, it worked, but pretty sporadic. It would work sometimes but not always.

Know wake on lan was not working for like a few month and I finally wanted to set it up again.
I flashed the BIOS to the newest version (4207) and installed the LAN driver V22.9.16.0 (I also tried version 12.15.184, wich somehow is the newest driver on the drivers page).

But I just couldn't get it working.
In the BIOS I Enabled WakeOnLAN in the Intel Network settings, and enabled wake by PCIe. In Windows I set the PowerManagement to wake on Magic Packet.
In sleep WakeOnLan is working without problems, but not if the PC is shut down.
However the Network adapter seems to be enabled, as the LED is on even if my PC is off.

If I now disable fastboot, wakeonlan also works if the pc is off, but I don't want to disable fastboot.
Is there any other way to get it working / isn't it supposed to work even with fastboot enabled?
2 REPLIES 2

JustinThyme
Level 13
Fast boot is really hibernate by another name. There is no real gain and it actually causes problems. If you have an issue and shut down it simply loads the issue at the next boot so you are right back where you were. It simply dumps the kernel and drivers that are loaded into ram into hiberfil.sys file then reloads it. I’d you are booting from a SSD fast boot is useless.*

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JanB97
Level 7
Well, I understand that with an SSD (wich I have) fastboot doesn't help a lot, but it still makes a noticable difference.
Especially because this board just takes forever to post. (15-17 sec until windows actually loads, with my old MSI Intel board that took about 3 seconds)

I guess i will just disable wol then (and maybe tinker with an arduino to do that 😉 )