cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did my board / PSU die?

dante_afk
Level 7
I got a couple of ram kits yesterday which I wanted to try out. All of the sudden while swapping one out and trying to boot again, the pc/psu would just turn on for half a second and then turn off again.

Troubleshooting:

• Unplugged everything, PSU would start itself, selftest would run too
  • Replugged every cable back in, removed all componenents (cpu, ram, gpu) still same behaviour
  • Unplugged every cable one by one and tried to boot up, came to the conclusion that if the 8+4 pin EPS CPU plug on the top left corner of the board is plugged in, it would show this behaviour.
  • Without that cable plugged in, fans would run and board/gpu, pumps too, but shows error code 00. No post.

Can I assume since the PSU is running, the PSU is fine and the board is dead?
12 REPLIES 12

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Have you cleared CMOS. Maybe by removing all power including battery for a while....

dante_afk
Level 7
I cleared CMOS via the button on the backpanel, did not remove batter yet (at work atm, can check that this evening)

JustinThyme
Level 13
I’d be more prone to put this on a bad PSU unless there is something else that would lead you to believe the board has been damaged. Other than the post failure testing of unplugging headers which I strongly advise against as it can cause damage. Best way to test a PSU outputs is everything unplugged and a jumper across the start pins folllowed by checking each pins voltage. That or try a known good PSU in its place. Just because one output works doesn’t mean they all work and low load items may not be enough to push it to point of failing.*

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

dante_afk
Level 7
I have a corsair 860 in my wifes pc which I can swap to try out later.

dante_afk
Level 7
so i plugged in the corsair 850 from my wifes pc, just the 24 atx pin and 8 pin EPS cpu plug, and I immediatelly got smoke spark and fire from this area:

wtf?

does my corsair ax1200i has maybe some saftey mechanism and does not start exactly because of that reason?

JustinThyme
Level 13
VRMs cooked. The AX PSUs are digital so yes, probably short circuit protection. Time for RMA

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

dante_afk
Level 7
Does Asus cover if this killed also other parts of my pc? lol

JustinThyme
Level 13
They wont cover any perceived incidental damage, only the board.

dante_afk
Level 7
great. my cpu died too.