cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4 ssd's only 1 showing up Please Help

vinnycenzo
Level 7
I have a MXIG with a 9900k. I've had a Toshiba XG3 128gb nvme installed on the board as a boot drive. The drive was almost full so I got a Samsung 970 evo and 3 WD Green 240gb sata ssd's.

prob 1: installed samsung 970 evo along side the toshiba xg3 in order to clone the toshiba onto the samasung. PC would not boot only recognizing the samsung ssd. toshiba ssd not found in bios
prob 2. leaving the samsung ssd installed i removed the toshiba ssd to do a fresh install thinking maybe the 2 nvme ssd's were conficting. i then installed the 3 wd green ssds. 1 on the board with the samsung and 2 on the dimm.2 slot. again only the samsung drive is recognized in bios or windows at this point.

Ive read other posts regarding the dimm.2 location not showing up but havent really found a clear cut answer as to where the settings in the bios are to enable it. I am fairly certain there is nothing wrong with the ssd's or the mobo itself and this is a compatibility issue.

In summation
m.2_1 samsung 970 evo recognized and working properly with win 10 installed
m.2_2 WD Green 240 sata ssd not recognized at all
dimm.2_1 WD Green 240 sata ssd not recognized at all
dimm.2_2 WD Green 240 sata ssd not recognized at all
Please anyone can shed some light on this issue?
5 REPLIES 5

LeChat
Level 8
I know you have to enable the dimm.2 in the BIOS, it is disabled by default. Also remember that your GPU will become x8 instead of x16, should not see much of a difference.

Cheers!

K

LeChat wrote:
I know you have to enable the dimm.2 in the BIOS, it is disabled by default. Also remember that your GPU will become x8 instead of x16, should not see much of a difference.

Cheers!

K

I cannot for the life of me find in the bios enable/disable dimm.2?

squawker
Level 11
Hi vinnycenzo,

Looking at Gene XI manual, it's stated that all M.2 sockets are only for NVMe SSD's, that is, not for SATA devices.

Saying it in another way, your 3 WD Green 240 are SATA SSD's, and will not be recognized when put in sockets M.2_1, M.2_2, DIMM.2_1 / 2.

Perhaps you can change the 3 WD Green M.2 ssd's for the type with SATA physical connectors, to plug in the SATA6G_1 > SATA6G_4 connectors from motherboard.

[]'s

squawker wrote:
Hi vinnycenzo,

Looking at Gene XI manual, it's stated that all M.2 sockets are only for NVMe SSD's, that is, not for SATA devices.

Saying it in another way, your 3 WD Green 240 are SATA SSD's, and will not be recognized when put in sockets M.2_1, M.2_2, DIMM.2_1 / 2.

Perhaps you can change the 3 WD Green M.2 ssd's for the type with SATA physical connectors, to plug in the SATA6G_1 > SATA6G_4 connectors from motherboard.

[]'s

Thanks I thought the same thing that the sata interface was the issue however it doesnt explain why i wasnt able to migrate my toshiba nvme ssd as it wasnt recognized either.

JustinThyme
Level 13
Check your PCH storage configuration in the BIOS. I don't have that board but on mine they have to be set up manually. The left side should take no configuration but the right side normally shares traffic with a PCIe slot. Also make sure that they aren't sharing with other sata ports.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein