cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2600k vs 980x?

glw165
Level 7
Already know the diff between the 2 just wondered is the 2600k worth a new build since q3 will be the lga2011 s/b, or just get the 980x and roll with it for couple years?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Coolermaster Cm Storm Stryker,
I7 3770k Delidded @ 4.8,
Asus Z77 Maximus V Etreme,
Corsair Vengeance 16gb (2133),
Evga gtx Titan,
Ssd,
Corsair Ax 1200 Psu!!!
22 REPLIES 22

Retired
Not applicable
of course 980x Hexa core 12 threads 32nm amazing overclocking ability this monster is a CPU of the life go for it

xeromist
Really depends on your usage. We're already at a point where the CPU isn't the bottleneck it used to be for gaming. Unless things drastically change in the next few years I think you'll be more than prepared with something like a 980x. It might not remain the king for something like desktop F@H where raw horsepower reigns supreme but you'll always have to play catch up with F@H.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

yea i cant decide which either i have the 950 @ 4.5 does well, but they say the 2600k will do 4.9 on air, then again 1355 socket then the 2011 socket coming, so it seems a waste, or get the 980x for the 6 core and stay with it several more years, i dunno............
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I7 3770k Delidded @ 4.8,
Evga gtx Titan,
Ssd,
Corsair Ax 1200 Psu!!!

ottoyu34
Level 9
First of all, What do you do with your computer?

ottoyu34
Level 9
Reason I'm asking because if you are not running 3D rendering, video rendering, folding@home, WCG, or such CPU dependant processes.
It's not worth it to get the 980X with a good reason. But if you got money to burn why not

im just a gamer movie burn typical enthusiast however i do like speed, 4.5 now on this 950 and thats working hard on water, more after the high multiplier i guess >>=== 980x, easier on the bclck
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I7 3770k Delidded @ 4.8,
Evga gtx Titan,
Ssd,
Corsair Ax 1200 Psu!!!

ottoyu34
Level 9
I would suggest getting upgrading GPUs, SSD, or Monitor(s) to give you a better gaming experience.

well i have a sc evga 470 42 in lcd not that gaming is bad i just want faster i did think about sli, but a buddy mine says not much diff exspecially in cod games as theyre fixed on fps, and thats all i play black ops world at war all the cod
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I7 3770k Delidded @ 4.8,
Evga gtx Titan,
Ssd,
Corsair Ax 1200 Psu!!!

ottoyu34
Level 9
I believe the COD game engine has a pretty high FPS limit, I recall I've seen about 200-300 fps before. and according to benchmarks I would still scale to 2-way SLI

But imo, if you only play COD series. Your rig is all set.