cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL503VS Lemon? Recourse?

Goregeist
Level 7
I bought a GL503VS-DH74 in the beginning of July and out of the box the battery was basically dead. It wouldn't hold its full capacity and only gave roughly an hours worth of use, give or take. Even prohibiting performance and enabling battery saving options yielded no results. I figured it was something I could deal with for a short time until having it replaced, but fast forward about two months, and then the keyboard and RGB completely give out. At this point I am barely able to even power on the laptop.

I send it if for warranty service through the retailer I had purchased it from with all the supplied hardware and packaging. Turnaround was about a week and a half, keyboard was functioning but it was returned with only the bare unit and power supply. I was under the impression that when I submit something for repair, that it would be returned to me in better shape than it was given. At least one would think, Original packaging/manuals etc were lost, and under normal circumstances most places wont accept warranty/repair work without said items. Not signing off on the repair until I get everything returned, I take possession when I hear a new box etc is in transit, yet I find more problems, now the battery isn't charging and send it back immediately. Fast forward almost 6 weeks, I find out they didn't even manage to send the right box for my laptop, but now the second HDD isn't being recognized.... and back it goes.

Now, I paid good money on what I thought what was a premium unit, only to be let down, and have a nightmare of a time dealing with Customer service, the retailer, and tracking RMA info. At this point I'm not sure what recourse I have. I no longer want this unit in particular as I'll have less than half the warranty period left, nervously hoping nothing else fails, but I seriously doubt they will supply a new or equivalent unit in it's place. Again, I paid a decent amount of money for something I have barely been able to use and every time I have tried to deal with the matter I have been let down with poor service.

TL:DR

*Laptop purchased with dead battery (essentially)

*Keyboard + RGB Failed (had to use external USB keyboard to extract data)/ cannot power on intermittently

*Sent away
-returned with working keyboard, but dead battery and compromised hardware/ not charging properly. Not returned complete with everything that was supplied.

*Sent away immediately again to address remaining issues
-returned but with improper box not even for the unit I purchased, making it difficult for proof of purchase. find out laptop is not acknowledging the HDD

*Sent back...

Getting tired and frustrated at this point. I just want something that works. It's been almost 2 1/2 months at this point, all I have to show for it is a $2600cnd paperweight. What can I realistically expect at this point other than to bend over and take whatever they give me? This is beyond unacceptable so far.
3 REPLIES 3

JustinThyme
Level 13
Batteries on these machines dont have a very good run time due to the components. Thats just the nature of the beast. High performance and long battery run time dont go in the same book let alone the same sentence. That just is what it is.

The other issues should not be. Have you contacted ASUS directly? Go online and start a ticket and a paper trail otherwise its he said she said. Post in the service related inqueries section here, this is acctually monitored to some degree by ASUS employees, the rest here is just users helping other users.

As for as the missing stuff. I do know that ASUS always says do not send it as it wont be returned. Just the machine and the power brick. Not even the OEM box!

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

As far as the battery is concerned, the average span is 2-2 1/2 hours. I was getting half that with all battery saving options s enabled. Perhaps the retailer should have known better, but then again, sending back the product with the packaging it was supplied with shouldn't be a hard concept to grasp either. It's just another issue that I don't need on top of everything else they haven't been able to get right yet.

Edit*
To add insult to injury, the supervisor that contacted me was also pretty rude. He started to become very aggressive with the terms, of which and his overall attitude were unacceptable.

Seems all that I'm being offered is a separate refurbished unit... How they thought that this was adaquate compensation is beyond me. I mind as well stick with the one I had. At least until sometime else goes wrong with it. Is it too much to ask for the proper packaging back at least? I've done my due diligence to supply everything on my end. But I'm getting nothing but headaches and run around from Asus and the retailer.