cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Device Manager PCI Device and SM Bus Controller no drivers? need suggestions

walrbe
Level 8
Does anyone have a suggestion on how to install or have system recognise these two devices

PCI Device and SM Bus Controller.

I have installed all relevant software from Asus, tried windows update but still devices show up as unknown.

My MB is the Maximus XI Hero. I'm using the onboard Graphics and don't have the PIC slots used at the moment. The only thing I can think of is some setting change in BIOS. Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks.
25 REPLIES 25

m4x2012
Level 8
+1 for this request, bought a Hero 11 same issue.

Already upgrade all Intel drivers both from ASUS website then Intel one.

I am also wondering this.

Spartanjet
Level 7
Did you update to the lastest BIOS? I had these after I updated but when I went back from 805 to 702 on my M11E they disappeared.

The mysterious case of the unidentified hardware that goes and comes as it pleases. One minute its soldered on the board next minute bios update.......its gone. Abracadabra presto change-o Figure someone at Asus could put this to rest if they took 5 min to reply.

bluebaronnn
Level 7
I have this same issue on my Maximus XI Extreme and was wondering what the deal is

XYchromosone
Level 10
have you run the chipset inf file often called intel chipset software for your motherboard?

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/03CHIPSET/Intel_Management_Engine_Interface.zip

that chipset file lets Windows recognize unknown hardware in System Devices and in most cases it fixes the issue you are having

XYchromosone wrote:
have you run the chipset inf file often called intel chipset software for your motherboard?

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/03CHIPSET/Intel_Management_Engine_Interface.zip

that chipset file lets Windows recognize unknown hardware in System Devices and in most cases it fixes the issue you are having

Fails to install ...

Sineira1 wrote:
Fails to install ...

you could have better luck to force to install the inf files, which the file you download from ASUS actually installs so that all devices in Device Manager>System devices are recognized correctly by windows [it removes Unknown Device" in most situations].
II recommend to download the chipset software files, from here:

Then unzip the file you downloaded "Intel_Management_Engine_Interface.zip" to a folder on your C drive that you create e.g., C:\inf
Once you unzip the files to that folder there will be a file called "AsusSetup.exe" among others. Next open the Run box by clicking the Windows key + R and type the following command:

C:\nf\AsusSetup.exe -overall

You can instead run the above "switch" command in a elevated Dos terminal.

If this does not work then I would download the latest Chipset software file from intel.com, and follow the above instructions on the file from intel. The reason i suggest this is because ASUS have altered the installation routine for the original file they get from intel, and might interfere with the -overall switch.

If you do decide to use the latest chipset software file from intel follow the above instructions and if you go the dos terminal rout, make sure to first change directory to where you unzipped the files e.g., at the dos prompt type [per my example]:

cd c:\inf

PerpetualCycle
Level 13
SMBUS doesn't have or need a driver. It must be the chipset inf is wrong. Find the latest chipset "drivers" and install them.

ROG Hero XIII | 10900k @5.2 GHz | g.skill 2x32GB 4200 CL18 | ROG Strix 2070S | EK Nucleus 360 Dark | 6TB SSD/nvme, 16TB external HDD | 2x 1440p | Vanatoo speakers with Klipsch sub | Fractal Meshify 2 case