cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make a copy of your eSupport Folder before formating your OS drive!

jdfrench3
Level 12
This has been repeated many times, retain a copy of your eSupport Folder before you wipe your OS. Be smart, one of the first things a new owner should do is place a copy of this folder on a USB drive or DVD and save it in a safe place.

If for what ever reason your OS is broken, a much easier recovery can be made if you had a copy of the eSupport Folder. The contents of this folder can NOT be completely replaced from programs and drivers on the ASUS Download Center. Some of the software within the eSupport Folder does not belong to ASUS. ASUS pays a vender for its' use. This means the software has the ability to authenticate your laptop before it can be loaded.

The ASUS Installation Wizard (AsInsWiz.exe), found within the eSupport Folder is what should be used to install/reinstall the programs and drivers that were originally found on your laptop. This means, with a newly installed copy of Windows, the next thing you will want to do is take your USB or DVD that you placed a copy of the eSupport Folder and copy the folder to your laptop and run the ASUS Installation Wizard.

The Wizard program is flexible, you don't have to install everything. Install what you like.

Now a nasty Windows Update comes along and suddenly one of these ASUS programs quits working. The repair is easy, return to the eSupport Folder and simply reinstall the program. What's happening of late is the Windows Update is trying to substitute its' own driver for one provided by ASUS, this doesn't always workout. Restoring the program from the eSupport Folder usually will fix the problem.

As time goes by, you find updates for some of your original programs on the ASUS Download Center, so you update to the latest program or driver. That's OK. Accomplish the update correctly and then test your program or driver for functionality. If it fails, resort to the original program or driver within the eSupport Folder.

I have updated all but three ASUS programs on my laptop using updated programs I found on the ASUS Download Center.
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server
15 REPLIES 15

Gps3dx
Level 12
I agree that if users want to have eSupport folder - it's smart to backup before formatting - BUT that is true for ANY OTHER DATA.
IMHO fresh install with drivers & app from asus support site is MUCH MUCH better then restoring the OEM OS.
that's my OWN OPINION after using 3 G-serie laptops in the last 8 years, moving from win7 -> 8 -> 8.1 -> 10 with its MANY releases.
you might have different opinion from me - it's OK.
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

Gps3dx wrote:
I agree that if users want to have eSupport folder - it's smart to backup before formatting - BUT that is true for ANY OTHER DATA.
IMHO fresh install with drivers & app from asus support site is MUCH MUCH better then restoring the OEM OS.
that's my OWN OPINION after using 3 G-serie laptops in the last 8 years, moving from win7 -> 8 -> 8.1 -> 10 with its MANY releases.
you might have different opinion from me - it's OK.

On a laptop I actually prefer the reset to factory state and leaving the recovery partition intact. If people didnt follow the advice to format and wipe their drives and deleting the restore partition saving the Esupport folder woulnt be needed. However if folks just cant resist then yes saving it is a must. My recommendation is and always will be to but a new drive when you get the laptop, clone the original to the new drive then remove the OEM drive and put it away for safe keeping. In the event you need to send your machine in for service simply swap out drives.....done. No need to worry about sensitive data if it isnt there and you wont get any flak on the RMA process when the OEM drive is not present or OS has been altered. Ive had many G series laptops myself starting with the G74SX which is still running the original image on a replacement drive 8 years later.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

I agree folks, we all have our means of backing up our systems. Personally I prefer my Windows Server. I can restore my system (OS and Data Storage) drives in minutes.

The difficult part is getting the normal user to backup any or all their systems. The eSupport Folder is a good start. The present ASUS Download Center is not as complete as it once was.
Homebuilt Windows Server

azhhael
Level 7
Please, how do i do a copy of eSupport folder?

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
If you're using the original ASUS factory Windows image, you will usually see it under your C: drive as below and what you really want is the eDriver folder inside the eSupport folder.
If you run the AsInsWiz application, the ASUS Install Wizard will appear although you want to use newer versions from the ASUS download site when available.

raju2529
Level 7
Anyone can share support folder to online storage and share link here , I Don't have support folder . So I am requesting all the users
Intel i5 7200U_ Nvidia 940MX _Windows_11_Enterprise_64bit_22H2_buildno_22621.754

I work on a number of laptops. Quite often I'm brought an ASUS laptop that is a few years old and requires a hard drive or SSD. After installing a Windows OS I refer to this website to download its' driver DVD.

https://www.asustreiber.de/

The website is German, the downloads are in English. I use my browsers' translater to translate everything for me. The driver DVDs are located in Downloads/Driver DVDs/ then listed by the laptops original Windows OS (7, 8.0, 8.1, 10). A quick search yields most of the ASUS laptops I am working on. I download the Driver DVD and create an installation DVD. These DVDs used to ship with the laptops but ASUS hasn't done so in a few years. On the DVD is the original software and drivers used on the particular ASUS laptop. On the top level on the DVD is the ASUS Installation Wizard (AsInsWiz.exe). Running this program will install the software and drivers. It's a selective program so you can install only what you want.

Take note of the size of these downloads, some will require a double-layer DVD. Once you have the information placed on a DVD, save it in a cool place for storage.

You can also "Mount" the download and simply copy to a spare hard drive or USB. This sometimes has some limitations so I prefer to simply make my support DVDs. My laptop users prefer the DVDs as well.

Keep in mind there can be conflicts. Windows 10 may not work well with Windows 7 drivers. I suggest installing drivers one or two at a time. Allow Windows 10 to update the driver for you, reboot often. I sometimes start with a 7-year old laptop that has 5 or 6 devices that Windows 10 can not identify. Using the ASUS Installation Wizard most all devices can be identified, installed, and updated properly and usually quickly.
Homebuilt Windows Server

Last ditch effort to restore your ASUS laptop to factory fresh configuration.

You can order ASUS Authorized Windows Notebook Recovery Media. Here's the link. It's not free but the service will restore your OS drive to OEM specs.

https://www.asus.com/us/support/article/782/

Good Luck
Homebuilt Windows Server

wait, what if the machine comes without OS? o.O