cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z390-E "no keyboard detected" on boot w/powered hub, fine post-boot into OS

hjlane3
Level 7
Greetings,

Having a bit of an odd issue with the Strix Z390-E. If I have a powered USB hub connected to any USB port during POST my keyboard will not be detected until after POST, with a "no keyboard detected" warning. So I can't enter the BIOS...

This only occurs when I have a powered hub also connected, and not just when the keyboard is connected through the hub; the hub and keyboard can be connected to different ports (and tried all port combinations). If I disconnect the powered hub, then everything works fine!

Some observations and troubleshooting steps:

- Tried different keyboards (all usb, don't have a PS/2 to test with...).
- On the latest bios (0602)
- Switched out to a completely different (powered) USB hub.
- Connected the hub with no devices actually connected to the hub
- Re-sat the CPU/memory/everything.
- Tried different DIMMS of memory.
- Returned / replaced the motherboard.
- Used a different PSU.
- Replaced the CPU (by virtue of changing my mind on the 9700k and just getting a 9900k...).

None of this helped. Any time I power on the system with the hub connected, my keyboard will not be detected during POST. If I just disconnect the hub, everything is fine and I can use the keyboard to enter the BIOS / boot menu / etc.

Any ideas? I'm about at the point of just returning the board and going with a different manufacturer. I used the same hub setup with the z87 without a problem. It's not a major issue, and the board otherwise works great, but it's just annoying to deal with...
3 REPLIES 3

chestyspankers
Level 7
Did you figure this out? I have the same situation on a Formula XI board, but it's a bigger problem because I'm dual booting and not only can I not access the bios, I cannot change the OS on the grub menu. Any solutions?

chestyspankers wrote:
Did you figure this out? I have the same situation on a Formula XI board, but it's a bigger problem because I'm dual booting and not only can I not access the bios, I cannot change the OS on the grub menu. Any solutions?

Nope. I just have to unplug my hub anytime I need to dual boot or get into the BIOS...

crazymouse
Level 7
me too i was in the same situation. i changed position of the tons of usb i have and solved. Maybe is an IRQ conflict. Try...