cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS (Zephyrus M) ROG GM501GS RAM upgrade problem <2400mHz instead of 2666mHz

imbamakaber
Level 7
Hello,

I recently bought a GM501GS with one of the 2x RAM slots open for an upgrade. Upgradeability for RAM was specified both on the ASUS laptop site and the retailers eCommerce website. "Up to 32GB". 1 slot installed, two available.

With the one slot installed from factory I figured it would make sense to purchase a pair of SODIMMs, and not add one alongside the installed one.
I looked around and found Crucials website where they listed SODIMMs with compatibility for my specific model. "Compatible upgrades guaranteed"

Part description
CT12243107 BLS2K16G4S26BFSD.000 UPGRADE FOR A ASUS ROG ZEPHYRUS M (GM501) SYSTEM

Installation went smoothly, I now have 32GBs of RAM.

However..
I get just under 2400mHz instead of the 2666mHz...

It would make sense for a high end gaming laptop to have at least some options available in BIOS for XMP or specific RAM configurations, especially if it is marketed as upgradeable?

I have the latest version of the computer BIOS, which is 307.. and there are no options to set the XMP profile.
I end up with the JEDEC #9 option (see the image). XMP is clearly there and the memory is properly identified by the computer.

I asked through ASUS support and they told me they would forward the question to the guys responsible for BIOS etc.
The reply I got back was that they ran a locked BIOS because the computer was intended to be run in "only one configuration", which is wierd considering the upgradeability.

Is there a way to get a more competent version for the BIOS or what do I do?
Are Crucial in the wrong for their marketing, or is ASUS to blame in some way?

I might have dropped from 2666mHz... but went from CL19 to CL16, and gained 16GBs of ram, but it seems so easy to just up the speeds by way of settings...

Thanks in advance for any reply.

Best regards,
imbamakaber
1 REPLY 1

jch4mbel
Level 7
imbamakaber wrote:
Hello,

I recently bought a GM501GS with one of the 2x RAM slots open for an upgrade. Upgradeability for RAM was specified both on the ASUS laptop site and the retailers eCommerce website. "Up to 32GB". 1 slot installed, two available.

With the one slot installed from factory I figured it would make sense to purchase a pair of SODIMMs, and not add one alongside the installed one.
I looked around and found Crucials website where they listed SODIMMs with compatibility for my specific model. "Compatible upgrades guaranteed"

Part description
CT12243107 BLS2K16G4S26BFSD.000 UPGRADE FOR A ASUS ROG ZEPHYRUS M (GM501) SYSTEM

Installation went smoothly, I now have 32GBs of RAM.

However..
I get just under 2400mHz instead of the 2666mHz...

It would make sense for a high end gaming laptop to have at least some options available in BIOS for XMP or specific RAM configurations, especially if it is marketed as upgradeable?

I have the latest version of the computer BIOS, which is 307.. and there are no options to set the XMP profile.
I end up with the JEDEC #9 option (see the image). XMP is clearly there and the memory is properly identified by the computer.

I asked through ASUS support and they told me they would forward the question to the guys responsible for BIOS etc.
The reply I got back was that they ran a locked BIOS because the computer was intended to be run in "only one configuration", which is wierd considering the upgradeability.

Is there a way to get a more competent version for the BIOS or what do I do?
Are Crucial in the wrong for their marketing, or is ASUS to blame in some way?

I might have dropped from 2666mHz... but went from CL19 to CL16, and gained 16GBs of ram, but it seems so easy to just up the speeds by way of settings...

Thanks in advance for any reply.

Best regards,
imbamakaber

Hi,

Exactly the same happens with me, i have the same laptop and i buy the same memory kit as you,

Do you know if this problem is important? Or do you know if are a way to solve this?

Thank you