Level 7
Hi!

My Setup:
Hero XI with 9900k, latest UEFI
Mem 3200 14-14-14-34 G.Skill
Nvidia 2080ti
Custom Watercooled Setup

I'm having following Problem:
UEFI Post is working normally. Windows10 bootup Logo normally.
However, at that Moment where the Login Screen should be shown the Screen is turning black and shuts down -> No Signal.
A few more seconds later the USB Devices are turning off (Logitech G19s Keyboard LCD goes off).
At this point the PC resets itself 50% of the time and starts again with UEFI Post.
The other 50% it just get stuck and even the Reset Button is then not working. If i press it nothing happens for 5seconds and then PC turns off.

If i change PEG PCIe speed to Gen1 in BIOS the PC runs completly normally. Playing Games like this now around 1 week every evening, no Problem at all.

When turning Gen3 on again -> Black screen happens on next boot immidiatly.

Tried other videocard (1080ti) -> same Issue
Tried different PSU (old one i had, no Premium one) -> same Issue
Tried different Memory (3200 16-x-x-x-x, cannot remember exact timing anymore) -> same Issue
Tried different CPU (9900k also) -> same Issue

I'm pretty sure the PC was working normally at the beginning, with black screen Issue becoming worse and worse.

Does somebody else face this Issue?
Could it be UEFI or driver related?

I'm starting to get worried that the Mainboard degraded and starts dying...
Should i start RMA for Mainboard?
18 REPLIES 18

JustinThyme
Level 13
Have you tried optimized defaults and leaving peg in auto then checking the speed afterwards with HwInfo?
If you have an overclock, especially a beefy one, sometimes things dont play nice at certain clock cycles. If your cache is overclocked things get wiggy sometimes. If the BCLCK is outside of 100MHz weird things also happen. Is your BIOS up to date?

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Have you tried optimized defaults and leaving peg in auto then checking the speed afterwards with HwInfo?
If you have an overclock, especially a beefy one, sometimes things dont play nice at certain clock cycles. If your cache is overclocked things get wiggy sometimes. If the BCLCK is outside of 100MHz weird things also happen. Is your BIOS up to date?

Thanks for answering JustinThyme.
Yes I've tried with Optimized Defaults and even with complete CMOS Reset.
After Reset only changed the CPU-Fans to disabled, everything else on default.
Again... Same Issue.
Yes, BIOS is newest one (0602)

My "tuned" Setup is a all core overclock to 5100, AVX -1, Vcore 1,34 and Cache on 46.
XMP is raising the Voltage of VCCIO and SA pretty high (1,35). System was running like this a few days before i turned them down to SA 1.1 and VCCIO 1.14.
BCLK always on default 100. However, I was thinking about a PCIe Timing Issue and tried change it to 99 or 101, but no difference on PCIe stability.

HWInfo is also interesting, because sometimes if Gen3 was coming up, it first shows 8GT/s, but changes down to 2,5GT/s within let's say 5-30 minutes.
Even when a Benchmark is running or e.g. Battlefield V is running, suddenly this Value is changing back on the fly.
However, as mentioned earlier, it seems to get worse, at the moment i'm not able to boot at all with Gen2 or Gen3...

maxx8888 wrote:
Thanks for answering JustinThyme.
Yes I've tried with Optimized Defaults and even with complete CMOS Reset.
After Reset only changed the CPU-Fans to disabled, everything else on default.
Again... Same Issue.
Yes, BIOS is newest one (0602)

My "tuned" Setup is a all core overclock to 5100, AVX -1, Vcore 1,34 and Cache on 46.
XMP is raising the Voltage of VCCIO and SA pretty high (1,35). System was running like this a few days before i turned them down to SA 1.1 and VCCIO 1.14.
BCLK always on default 100. However, I was thinking about a PCIe Timing Issue and tried change it to 99 or 101, but no difference on PCIe stability.

HWInfo is also interesting, because sometimes if Gen3 was coming up, it first shows 8GT/s, but changes down to 2,5GT/s within let's say 5-30 minutes.
Even when a Benchmark is running or e.g. Battlefield V is running, suddenly this Value is changing back on the fly.
However, as mentioned earlier, it seems to get worse, at the moment i'm not able to boot at all with Gen2 or Gen3...

Have you tried reseating the CPU? How do the pins in the socket look? Perfect?

Question for the 2080 TI did you use both separate power rails connected to the GPU from the PSU?

Pins look absolutley perfect. CPU insert was handled with great care :-).
I was checking that during i tested a second 9900k in the same board.
So during that test i've therefore also reseated twice.

For the Power Supply cable, i'm acutally using only one line from PSU to GPU and split it there.
However, a old PSU which i have for spare at home was showing same behavior and that one was connected with 2 separate cables.
I will verify that again with the actual PSU.

The PSU itself is one of the Parts which are still in use from my old setup, so it is around 5 years old (Corsair AX860i).
Not sure if it might have a bigger ripple because of that. Could "noise" on the PSU causes a Issue like this?

Is there any way setting in BIOS which could help to make PCIe more stable? Like increasing a specific Voltage or similar?
Could M.2. NVME Disk Drive affect PCIe stabiliy?

So I've tried second PSU Power Cable and the new HX750i PSU. -> same Problem

Additionally i've found 2 new BIOS Versions today 0702 final and 0803 beta Versions.
Both of them still are showing same Issue 😕

maxx8888 wrote:
So I've tried second PSU Power Cable and the new HX750i PSU. -> same Problem

Additionally i've found 2 new BIOS Versions today 0702 final and 0803 beta Versions.
Both of them still are showing same Issue 😕

And to confirm, the system runs fine on GEN 1 ??*

mdzcpa wrote:
And to confirm, the system runs fine on GEN 1 ??*

My question revolves on whether it crashes on Auto vs. Gen 3 vs Gen 1.

I agree with above. I'd do a fresh install to be sure its not driver/os related and then RMA the board if no joy.

Yes, on Gen1 the Board is working normally. Gen3 procduces black screen at that moment were Windows Logon should be shown.
On Gen3 BIOS or Windows Repair console is working. It seems like black screen happens at that moment where some driver get's loaded?!
During gaming yesterday, i realized, that PCIe even swtiched back to 8x now instead of 16x.
After Reboot it's 16 again.

HD Audio Driver? Not aware about that, I've installed the newest Realtek Drivers for the Board, not sure if Windows is additionally loading something.
How can i check that?

Here my Device Manager Audio Devices: