cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage V Extreme - CPU Socket Problems

Death-Caliber
Level 7
Hi everyone!

Long time reader, first time poster and unfortunately my first post isnt good news.

I've had a Rampage V Extreme for as long as I can remember and over the past couple of days, I decided to throw my i7-6800k onto the board and do some testing/overclocking of some Corsair CMW16GX4M2C3200OC Ram (2 sets of 2x8) trying to get quad channel working as it wasnt working on my X909 Strix either (thats still an issue too).

So I put the processor in the slot, put my H100i V2 cooler on and set everything up.

Time comes to start the system and it was only detecting 3 of the 4 DIMMs.

Tried updating the BIOS and then it detected 2 of the 4 DIMMS.

It got to the point last night that I was down to only 1 DIMM being detected, no matter which stick of ram I put in the system.

So.....

After work tonight I decided to pull the board out of my case and take the processor off to discover I had bent a couple of pins somehow.

I grabbed a magnifying glass and had a look, the pins were somehow bent back the opposite way to how they should be orientated.

With a toothpick, I gently bent the first one back, no problems,

But then the second one didnt go so well and as I was moving the pin back into its correct orientation, it broke off 😞 :mad:

I'm pretty pissed off with myself to say the least.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So my question to ASUS is - Do you repair boards? This thing was super expensve and I'd really like to have this one in my system.

Happy to take some photo's if required/pay for shipping etc.
23 REPLIES 23

JustinThyme
Level 13
Death-Caliber wrote:
Hi everyone!

Long time reader, first time poster and unfortunately my first post isnt good news.

I've had a Rampage V Extreme for as long as I can remember and over the past couple of days, I decided to throw my i7-6800k onto the board and do some testing/overclocking of some Corsair CMW16GX4M2C3200OC Ram (2 sets of 2x8) trying to get quad channel working as it wasnt working on my X909 Strix either (thats still an issue too).

So I put the processor in the slot, put my H100i V2 cooler on and set everything up.

Time comes to start the system and it was only detecting 3 of the 4 DIMMs.

Tried updating the BIOS and then it detected 2 of the 4 DIMMS.

It got to the point last night that I was down to only 1 DIMM being detected, no matter which stick of ram I put in the system.

So.....

After work tonight I decided to pull the board out of my case and take the processor off to discover I had bent a couple of pins somehow.

I grabbed a magnifying glass and had a look, the pins were somehow bent back the opposite way to how they should be orientated.

With a toothpick, I gently bent the first one back, no problems,

But then the second one didnt go so well and as I was moving the pin back into its correct orientation, it broke off 😞 :mad:

I'm pretty pissed off with myself to say the least.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So my question to ASUS is - Do you repair boards? This thing was super expensve and I'd really like to have this one in my system.

Happy to take some photo's if required/pay for shipping etc.

This would receive better attention in the service related inqueries. Cooked capacitors, VRMs, resistors and diodes would be easy enough. The socket is another story. * 2011 pins in less than 2 square inches is all but impossible. The time it would take wouldn’t be cost effective and would most likely cost more than replacing the board. The sockets are placed by robots and run through a wave soldering machine. New and refurbs can be found for $200-$300 while gougers are over $500. There’s one on fleabay for $200 + $55 shipping seller has 100% positive feedback, like 180. *No retail box but the board alone is worth that.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

davemon50
Level 11
Well, it's an 1150 being replaced in THIS VIDEO, but have a look at this one, and then resolve yourself to just buying a new one.
Davemon50

Didn't realise there was a service section.

I'll have a look.

Thanks.

The exchange rate is a killer as by the time I get parts from the US, it will end up being $500-600 for another board.

davemon50 wrote:
Well, it's an 1150 being replaced in THIS VIDEO, but have a look at this one, and then resolve yourself to just buying a new one.

nice, first time I’ve ever seen one of these

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

rjbarker
Level 11
Not positive but I know Evga used to replace / repair CPU Sockets ...a number of years ago they would charge $50 USD I believe......not sure about Asus though...

rjbarker wrote:
Not positive but I know Evga used to replace / repair CPU Sockets ...a number of years ago they would charge $50 USD I believe......not sure about Asus though...

Any idea which staff member to contact on here that would maybe be able to answer my query?

Not too sure where the service-related enquiries section is located on here.

Death-Caliber wrote:
Any idea which staff member to contact on here that would maybe be able to answer my query?

Not too sure where the service-related enquiries section is located on here.

Try going to Asus.com or Asus.ca (Canada) and then to Support....should be able to send an email and and find out for sure...as Justin had menitoned...if you hit a wall you could possibly try a "ma n pa" pc shop or an overzealous IT Tech whom may love the challenge of trying to replace the pin and make it work....otherwise a new Board is in order ,,,,, RVIE 😉

xeromist
Service inquiries is for people having issues with an existing RMA. Please read the sticky at the top of that section and do not post there unless you meet the requirements.

Unfortunately for the OP, this is primarily a customer discussion forum so the question can't really be addressed here. To ask support questions please contact ASUS support via any method listed on the ASUS site.

Thank you
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

28BeersLater
Level 7
I have a brand new boxed Rampage V with bent pins too...

I don't believe I bent them myself when trying to fit the CPU as I'm an experienced builder, but I could never prove that was the case so didn't even attempt to RMA.

What a waste.

Plus point was when the bios died (for the first time), I had a spare set to rob...
Gotterdammerung: Rampage V Extreme | Intel I7-5930K | 32GB Corsair Dominator 2666 | EVGA GTX 980 SC x3
Kingston HyperX Predator 480GB | Corsair Neutron XT 960GB | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair 900D | EK RVE Monoblock | EK 980 GTX Blocks

GOOSE: STRIX Z390I Gaming | Intel i9-9900KF | 32GB Vengeance RGB 3200 | STRIX Vega 64 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB x2
Corsair SF 750 | Phanteks Evolv Shift X | EK Z390I Monoblock | EK Strix Vega 64 GPU Block