cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VI Ram issues and bios

r0k0
Level 7
Hey everyone, i've been using this board for a few months now, only to notice the bios and windows is only reading 8gb out of 16gb, i've swapped the rams sticks around and they only read 8 out of 16, tried my ram in another pc and they show up 16gb.

now i flash my bios with ez flash to the new version 6401, pc restart after finished the install, then boom pc shuts down restart only to stay in a black screen.

anyone have had this happened ?

current specs
AMD Ryzen 5 2600
Asus ROG Crosshair Hero 6
Gskill Trident Z RGB DDR4-3000 CL16
Asus Stryx 1070 OC 8GB
EVGA EX850
WD Black M.2 250GB
Samsung evo 830 1TB
Intel i5 2500K @ 5.0Ghz Gaming / 5.5Ghz Bench / 1.6Ghz Webbing 😛
Asus ROG Maximus IV Gene-Z / Gen3
4x 4GB Corsair Vengence DDR3-1600 2x Black / 2x Red
Sapphire Radeon HD 5970 2GB - HIS Radeon HD 5870 1GB Tri-Fire Baby !!
A-DATA 120GB Main HDD / 1TB Seagates Games + Misc
Thermaltake Spedo Case / Coolermaster Silent Pro 1KW
1 REPLY 1

Seurat
Level 7
I just saw this thread in the forum and thought I would post because of the new bios that dropped Version 6808. I was having the exact problem and when going to Bios version 6302, 6401 and with 6808. I was using Patriot Viper RAM 2x16gb. It was a new-build so per the instructions set the ram in A2 and B2 slots. the OEM Bios was 3502. System booted up installed the operating system installed all the drivers all was good, but one thing I did notice was in the system properties it had 16 gigs a RAM installed and (15.2 unusable) so went into the BIOS it only was recognizing 16 gigs of RAM. I did all the usual, pulled the ram re-seated it, didn't work move the ram to different slots didn't work or no boot. So then I proceeded to update the BIOS 6401(no go Black screen) then i walked it down The only one that booted and posted was 6201, But in the Bios still only showed 16gb. I knew the RAM as not bad because I booted each stick in Slot A2. So with Both sticks of ram in the computer I ran CPUZ, it showed both and their specs. I was at a loss,gave up. So when 6808 dropped I installed hoping for better results, nothing Black screen boot.

The FIX: I pulled the RAM leaving only the A2 stick installed booted the system went into the BIOS change the voltage from automatic to the OEM voltage that's located on the RAM itself changed the MHz from Auto to the manual OEM rate in my case 2400 and left the timings on auto.

Rebooted the system. After clean boot I shut the system down again. Downloaded the latest bios 6808 placed it on a USB drive, even went as far as downloading the name changing program allowed it to change the name to C6H. Flash the BIOS from the recovery port, BAM boot up.

logged into the BIOS it showed the correct Bios version. I changed all the settings back to the automatic, booted into windows, shut the computer down after clean boot. installed the second sim to slot B2, boot up black screen.

So I moved the RAM to slot A1. RAM is now installed on slot A1 and A2 (not A2 and B2) 32gb seen by the bios and running fine.

Note: In my case I could only update the BIOS with one stick of RAM installed in slot A2 only. I will assume that's because A2 slot is the common denominator of the different BIOS RAM location. I might assume that you would have the same issue if you had 4 sticks of RAM?

Windows still showed unusable Ram this time it was up to 31.5 or something like that. that didn't clear up until I reloaded the operating system now everything is good.

Sorry for the long winded story I was just trying to give you an accurate account. I hope this helps

ROG Crosshair VI Hero (BIOS 6808)
AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Ram 2x16 Patriot Viper PC4-19000 2400MHz
MSI RX490