cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fan speed control in Windows.

nuraman00
Level 7
Is there an application where I can monitor fan speed control, in Windows? Not through the BIOS.

I don't want to change the fan speed. I just want to know how fast it's running.

Is there some utility from Asus Crosshair motherboards, that lets me do that?

Or do I have to use a 3rd party application?
13 REPLIES 13

nuraman00
Level 7
Also, has anyone tried using a fan splitter?

I have 4 fans, but there's only 3 chassis fan ports.

I bought a fan splitter, but haven't tried it yet.

MoKiChU
Level 40
nuraman00 wrote:
I don't want to change the fan speed. I just want to know how fast it's running.

Hi,

You can use HWMonitor (by the creators of CPU-Z) : https://www.cpuid.com/downloads/hwmonitor/hwmonitor_1.38.exe

MoKiChU wrote:
Hi,

You can use HWMonitor (by the creators of CPU-Z) : https://www.cpuid.com/downloads/hwmonitor/hwmonitor_1.38.exe

Thanks.

After seeing your post, I installed both Corsair Link (because I have a Corsair PSU), and HWMonitor.

Comparing the two, I was able identify which fan was which, on each software.

A few questions.

From Corsair Link, why does it say my DRAM frequency is 1463.2 MHz? I set it to 2933 MHz in the BIOS. 1463.2 is roughly 1/2 of 2933, but I don't know if that explains it.

I have 2x8GB modules.

Also, it says my CAS latency is 16. Why is that? I'm pretty sure it said 15 in the BIOS too, but I can check again.

My RAM is supposed to be:

Timing 15-15-15-35
CAS Latency 15 .

Using HWMonitor, under Clocks, it says the Memory is at 7001 MHz. Where is it getting that from? How does it get 7001? Again, my RAM is supposed to be running at 2933.

Thanks.

I can post screen shots of anything if necessary.

gupsterg
Level 13
Dump HWMonitor it is waste of time on Ryzen/Threadripper, you will see monitoring data that is not occurring.

By default Gear Down Mode is Enabled, it will round up odd CAS to nearest even.
Intel Defector :eek: AMD Rebel

R9 5900X - Custom WC - ASUS Crosshair VII Hero WiFi - Ballistix Sport LT 2x16GB 3800MHz C16 - RX 6800 XT - WD SN770 2TB - 2x 870 EVO 4TB

24/7 OC: i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 ~17.7K GS 3DM FS)

:eek: CPU Validation 5.198GHz@1.314v with 4.4GHz cache + RAM 2400MHz@1T :eek:
Da Music video

HWiNFO64
or
AIDA64

hhamil1 wrote:
HWiNFO64
or
AIDA64

HW Info seems pretty cool.

I'm still not sure why both Corsair Link, and HWInfo, report the RAM frequency as 1463.2 MHz. Why doesn't it say 2933, since that's what I set it in the BIOS?

Does HWInfo display the fan speeds anywhere?

EDIT: I found it. I have to click on the Sensor button on the button bar.

nuraman00 wrote:
HW Info seems pretty cool.

I'm still not sure why both Corsair Link, and HWInfo, report the RAM frequency as 1463.2 MHz. Why doesn't it say 2933, since that's what I set it in the BIOS?

The DDR in DDR4 stands for double data rate so what link and HWinfo are displaying the single speed of your ram, most programs seem to diplay it the same way, so your ram is pretty much where it should be.

Thank you!