cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

9700K boost problem with ROG mobo

iAzriel
Level 7
OK I know that this matter is widely discussed already but I am at a loss... Got a 9700K yesterday on an Asus ROG Z390 H Gaming with the latest bios version, dated yesterday. With default settings or auto or whatever, the CPU doesn't go beyond 3.9GHz in any Windows situation (gaming, AIDA64 etc). I have tried -almost- anything in BIOS disabled and enabled all the relevant options (asus multicore, 5G OC setting, TPU, C states etc), the only thing that seems to work is disabling SpeedStep and Speed Shift options which allows the CPU to work -constantly though- at 4.6GHz max. 4.9 or 5GHz are out of the question I don't know if there is any way to see these numbers. For starters I only want boost to work as intended and not get the stupid limit of 3.9GHz. Hell, my i7 4790 boosted at 4GHz... Any suggestions or ideas are welcome.
7 REPLIES 7

x-rated
Level 8
did you try reset bios to defaults?
did you perform clean windows installation after upgrade?
do you use balanced power plan in windows control panel?

iAzriel
Level 7
Yes, even clear CMOS after bios update to 1202.
No but I don't think that's the problem cause when I disable SpeedStep or Speed Shift in BIOS, the CPU boosts normally to 4.6GHz multicore and higher single core in Windows. Clearly a mobo/bios issue rathen OS.
Yes, balanced all the way, 5% minimum processor state, 100% maximum.

rjbarker
Level 11
Try without XMP enabled (if you have it enabled)....default JEDC Memory speed...see if it works with that along with everytihng else in BIOS at default ......

....So your not reaching the rated Boost speeds or your not reaching OC Boost speeds ...?

x-rated
Level 8
i had similar issue after upgrade from z170 & 7700k without clean windows installation, in my case cpu frequency did not go below 3,6 GHz while idling

rjbarker
Level 11
Changing Mobo and CPU = should always be clean OS install ......I also don't consider "cloning" as a "clean install".....

iAzriel
Level 7
I did try with all settings to default, XMP too, still the same issue. Clean Windows install it is then...thx for your help!

iAzriel
Level 7
Yup, it was Windows after all... Clean install solved all issues.